Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I am GUTTED !!

(7 Posts)
nokidshere Wed 24-Apr-13 10:47:37

I'm gutted too! almost 10 months since my last period and today I came on. Whats that all about? I wish it would just do one thing or another grrrrrrr

Bellaciao Tue 02-Apr-13 20:31:45

I think it is now just 12 months whatever age according to Menopause Matters.
"Postmenopause is the time following the last period, and is usually defined as more than 12 months with no periods in someone with intact ovaries, or immediately following surgery if the ovaries have been removed."

However there are exceptions... but the idea is for anyone who gets bleeding more than one year after last period to have this checked out just to be on the safe side.

expatinscotland Wed 13-Mar-13 09:11:28

It's 2 years with no period if you're under 50; one year with none age 50+.

diddl Wed 13-Mar-13 09:10:08

I'm 49 & haven't had a period for two & a half years.

Before that one it had been a year.

Bellaciao Tue 12-Mar-13 19:22:57

Hi bizzey - sorry but you are not too young for menopause. Average age is 51. 40-45 is classed as early meno. Prior to 40 is premature meno. It does often go with age too... However you are obviously not there as you;ve had another period. There is no set pattern and you maye never have another one, or you may go on to have several more!
Not sure what MN is though?
Anyway great you have no major meno symptoms - because you have had another period your oestrogen levels will have risen. Long may this last, since if meno under 51 especially, you will want to take extra oestrogen to help protect your bones from osteoporosis.
Lots of info on menopause on this excellent site - Menopause Matters
www.menopausematters.co.uk/

biryani Sun 10-Mar-13 20:27:02

You're quite young for menopause think. I went through it at 48: firstly erratic periods followed by nothing. No classic meno symptoms for aages then all hell let loose- anxiety, insomnia mood swings and finally the dreaded flushes. Always thought I was due for a period too; sore boobs etc, followed by nothing.

I' m 53 now, and still in the throes. Good luck!!

bizzey Wed 06-Mar-13 19:21:38

I had my last period a year ago exactly !! March last year. Today ...I think I have come on . It is not too heavy ...but my 2nd day was always the heaviest ..so I will know more tomorrow .

I was out and not prepared and so had to come home with toilet paper lining my knickers !!

Unbeknown to me ..because I did not have MN ...3/4 years prior to this I seemed to have had peri meno symptoms.

I am 46 ..but at 46 my mum was on HRT

No major meno symtoms...just relief it had/was happening !

Now this.....could it be "blip".....

Has this happened to anyone ??

Thanks!

BTW tummy and back ..familliar period feeling....so I know the bleeding is nothing sinister .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now