Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Contraception at 50

(7 Posts)
Dahlialover Tue 12-Mar-13 19:49:54

Another interesting site for contraception over 40

http://www.womens-health-concern.org/help/factsheets/fs_contraceptionolder.html

Dahlialover Wed 06-Mar-13 16:21:00

Info on contraception over 40:

http://www.fsrh.org/pdfs/ContraceptionOver40July10.pdf

rubyrubyruby Tue 26-Feb-13 10:48:53

Vasectomy not an option.

I will talk to my GP but now thinking I will just have another Mirena as it appears to work well for me. I've heard lots of flooding stories and that would render me unable to work really.

Thanks for replies

scaevola Mon 25-Feb-13 15:13:43

We decided on vasectomy. Is that an option for you?

It takes a minimum of 16-18 weeks to get the all-clear, so something to get done whilst mirena is still in situ. But then you could have it taken out, and see what is happening with your body and the menopause.

Missbopeep Mon 25-Feb-13 15:07:29

As above.

It's a mistake to think you are not fertile at 50- unless you have had 2 years period-free. Conceiving would be unlikely but there are records in the UK of natural births up to age 56.

I'd 2nd talking to your dr, having anotehr coli for 5 years or having it out and using other methods for a few years once you see what happens to your cycles once the Mirena is out.

Theas18 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:45:16

Personal opinion: chat to your GP as mirena inserted after age 40 is licensed for longer depending on age. You may well be able to keep it till 52.

Otherwise, take the plunge, change this one now and you'll be sorted with brilliant contraception till well past menopause (and no annoying strange menopausal cycles etc with haywire bleeding that might end up needing tests doing etc).

If you have the mirena swapped now you are also covered for the " womb protection" arm of HRT should you start getting flushes etc that need treatment.

Having it out and using alternative contraception is potential minefield. You may actually still be fertile. Mini pill is safe but you'd have to stop it every so often to have blood tests to see if you were through the change etc. Condoms- who wants to go down that route if they don't have to (but it would safe and effective, clearly if used well). Also as I said "odd" bleeding- heavy/ freq/ bleeds after 6 month of no bleeds etc would fall into categories that could be a problem and needs tests to make sure they are OK.

rubyrubyruby Mon 25-Feb-13 11:36:25

I'm fast approaching 50 and my 2nd mirena coil is now over 5 years old.
I haven't had any problems with it and not had any periods for 10 years now.

So my options are:

A) Have a new one that will take me to age 55?

B) Leave this one in? I'm not bleeding so either in the menopause or it's still working sufficiently.

C) Have it out and use alternative contraception? If so what?

Advise and personal opinions please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now