Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is it a slow creep or a Big Bang?

(4 Posts)
MicheK Mon 04-Feb-13 08:01:08

Im 45 and haven't taken any contraceptives for 30+ years and my husband and I have not taken any precautions over the last 18 years. We weren't interested in going down the chemical or IVF interventions but 'what would be would be'

My periods have always been very predictable and regular almost to the hour ... except for this month ... I'm 7 days late.

I've had the occasional night sweats over several months but nothing else. Except for the last week ... I've been feeling very bloated and have a kind of lump in my throat (feels like something's not gone down) which feels odd and occasionally gives me a feeling of nausea.

Are these signs of the menopause/peri menopause ... does it start to happen this quickly?

Dahlialover Mon 04-Feb-13 12:35:32

My grandmother said her periods just stopped at the age of 50.

However, at 45, with that lump in throat/sicky etc feeling, I would get a pg testing kit to be sure.

Missbopeep Mon 04-Feb-13 13:12:42

I think everyone's experience is different. If you have been having sweats for a few months then that is a gradual start.....

The lump in your throat doesn't sound anything like meno- maybe you have something else that needs looking into- such as too much stomach acid which can cause funny feelings? Could you go and see your dr about this?

Greekescape Mon 25-Mar-13 18:11:30

I'm 57 and 9 years in to Hot flushes,I keep thinking they are going to stop and they do, but then they start again.I do believe the body likes to experiement with symptoms when you've hit the menopause, but if you are worried about anything you should get it checked out.Periods stop and start as well and sometimes with huge gaps , but it's always best to check. I wish you well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now