Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is my brain fog due to menopause ?

(8 Posts)
MuchBrighterNow Tue 29-Jan-13 14:10:42

Thanks bopeep... I thought it was just me being particularly inept but at least now I can blame my hormones grin
I didn't want to go down the HRT route but If it makes me feel clearer headed and more energetic then it's worth a go.

Missbopeep Tue 29-Jan-13 13:39:07

The simple answer to your headline- is YES.
Everything you mention is down to lack of oestrogen.

Some people get flushes etc, some get moods and brain fog, low libido etc, lucky people get then all.

The only way to find out if HRT will help you is by trying it. You would be quite safe taking it for at least 3 years to replace what ought to be there because the latest research says that premature meno is up to the age of 47- so you are a tiny bit on the young side to be lacking in hormones.

You should see your GP because lack of oestrogen at 46 is going to put you at a higher risk of heart disease and osteoporosis in your 50s and 60s and beyond.

MuchBrighterNow Tue 29-Jan-13 12:26:11

anyone ?

orangina Tue 29-Jan-13 11:02:42

(hi fives MuchBrighterNow)

grin

MuchBrighterNow Tue 29-Jan-13 11:01:27

.....and my memory is shot to fuck !!!

MuchBrighterNow Tue 29-Jan-13 11:00:22

Forgot to add that I am getting more and more narky with my role as nurturing mother figure <tosses ready meal onto table>

orangina Tue 29-Jan-13 10:48:36

(marks place)

MuchBrighterNow Tue 29-Jan-13 10:44:21

I haven't had a period for a year. I am 47 so relatively young for menopause but hormone levels indicate that's what it is. I have had no hot flashes, mood swings etc. At first I wasn't too sad to be passing into this phase as I was happy to be no longer having periods and seemed, at first, to have got off lightly smile

However... what I do have is total brain fog, low energy levels and an on going sense of not quite keeping it together. I used to be very efficient but it's taking a lot more out of me now to keep on top of things. I also have no sex drive ...

Could this all be due to menopause ? Otherwise I am very fit , in good health not depressed etc.

Has anyone else suffered these symptoms and seen an improvement after taking HRT ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now