Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I'm 49, I want the menopause now please

(12 Posts)
carabos Fri 18-Jan-13 14:17:21

I had an endometrial ablation three years ago to deal with heavy bleeding (which I've had since day one of puberty) and uterine polyps. It didn't work. I now have a much shorter cycle (stretched three weeks) and still have flooding and massive clots.

All my friends of similar age are at the "I haven't had a period for 6 months" stage - it's not fair.

I'm going back to my GP next week for my regular blood test for anaemia - are there any tests that can predict the menopause? It might cheer me up if I knew it was just around the corner. I don't want a hysterectomy, which seems to be the next step after a failed ablation.

Missbopeep Fri 18-Jan-13 19:18:21

Did you try the Mirena coli before the ablation? if not then it's worth a try.

ggirl Fri 18-Jan-13 19:21:17

yes they can test for impending menopause

I am 50 and missed a period a few months ago but sadly came on again today...totally sick of them

carabos Fri 18-Jan-13 20:18:49

Thanks missbopeep but I've never had a coil of any sort and I don't want one now. Consultant mentioned it but wasn't convinced that it would make much difference so didn't push it.

He's a world authority on inter-uterine surgery so was keen on the operation. Clearly he's not as good as he likes to think he is wink.

oopsadaisymaisy Fri 18-Jan-13 20:20:50

Hi op. I've had problems since mid thirties. I don't know the answer but I'm in agreement with you. Its bloody crap.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Jan-13 08:20:49

why would you not want to try a coil simply on the basis that you have never had one before- if it will help and avoid a major operation?

There is another thread here a few threads down about heavy periods and the Mirena and many posters have found it brilliant.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Jan-13 08:22:38

Oh and testing for meno is not an exact science- your hormones can be all over the place from day to day so you are unlikely to get a reliable result. I know this from my own experience- had some tests that showed i was post meno when in fact I still had periods.

thesnootyfox Sat 19-Jan-13 08:25:32

Do you know when your mother went through the menopause?

carabos Sat 19-Jan-13 17:48:30

snooty no - she had a hysterectomy in her 40s.
missbopeep I don't want a coil.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Jan-13 18:49:22

Why won't you even consider a coil?

Is it the insertion that worries you?

Compared to a major op I'd have thought it was at least worth discussing.

carabos Sat 19-Jan-13 23:36:19

missbopeep thanks but my GP thinks the Mirena probably won't work, waiting to see if it would work would take months and likely end up with an op anyway. Consultant sort of shrugged and said he was only mentioning it so he could "tick the box". Added to that is that I don't like the idea of it - foreign body and all that makes me feel a bit yuck. I don't have any "worries" as such.

Fwiw, I won't be having another op - can't face it. I just hate it that the ablation didn't work - I know any op might not work, but you don't think like that at the time, you just believe that you will be one of the many, not one of the few.

Missbopeep Sun 20-Jan-13 09:46:23

If I were in your shoes I'd try anything to help if I was certain I didn't want another op. You would see if the coil worked in 3-6 months. If it didn't or you hated it then they could remove it at any time.

But each to their own.

To answer your original question, the answer is your periods will have stopped (probably) by the time you are 55 and maybe sooner. Average age in UK is 52.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now