Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

am I weird or is anyone else glad about menopause?

(35 Posts)
racingheart Sun 30-Sep-12 20:07:42

Finally skipped a period this month, aged 48 and feel over the moon. At last it's on its way. After 36 years of appalling cramps, 8-day full on bleeding, chills, night sweats, runs, exhaustion, filthy mood swings, chocolate cravings, I'm going to be free. I hated them from day 1, when I was 12, and only had a break once when pregnant.

I feel like this is the start of a new and brilliant time in life. Don't mean to be insensitive if others hate it, and am sure it'll have some horrendous effects too, but can't help feeling a bit glad, excited even that 25% of every month won't be stolen from me.

Ponders Wed 31-Oct-12 22:42:57

my periods, which had been appallingly heavy, stopped dead with chemo (for breast cancer) when I was 50, over 10 years ago now

I did have some hot flushes, & now have sad skimpy eyelashes, rather bristly eyebrows & random long hairs on my chin, but not having periods is utter bliss

Bellaciao Tue 20-Nov-12 17:46:02

....and who says you need to stop HRT? Postponing symptoms? Tapering decline in dosing? I do not intend to and current thinking does not indicate there is any sginificant risk in continuing. I'm 59 and have been on it for 6 years. Remember post-menopause is for ever. Lots of us do not just use HRT while we are "going through the menopause" but to ward off the oestrogen deficiency symptoms Miss Bo Peep outlined earlier. And lack of oestrogen is detrimental to your optimal bodily functioning in the long term, even if you say you do not experience any adverse symptoms, or stoically decide it is all due to ageing.

stopcallingmefrank Tue 20-Nov-12 18:22:41

I am glad too. I have not had a period for a year, so officially menopausal. My periods were horrendous, so heavy I needed to control them with medication.

My memo symptoms have not been too bad, some night sweats and tiredness. For me post-memo is definitely better.

MissBoPeep Tue 20-Nov-12 19:48:37

Bellacioa would you say the jury was still out on HRTs long term safety? I know a recent Danish research study showed it to be safer, but there was still an increased risk of cancer with combined therapy- albeit small.

It's still not being prescribed long term as first line treatment for osteoporosis with many reputable drs saying "Because of the link between estrrogen and breast cancer."

I'm just not sure, persoanlly, who to believe.

fatlazymummy Tue 11-Dec-12 00:27:53

I'm 52, have missed my last 2 periods, and am really hoping I don't
get any more now.
Have had quite heavy periods over the last 5 years [about 3 were really bad ones], a few hot flushes, and that was that .
Healthwise, I feel better than I have for years. I quit drinking, lost weight, increased my exercise. I really want to be one of those fit, energetic older ladies.
So yes, I am very pleased to be [fingers crossed] menopausal.

eatyourveg Tue 11-Dec-12 08:00:44

forgive me for appearing naive (dm still not mentioned anything to do with the subject- df bought all my tampons etc when I was 12) but should I be expecting to have lighter and lighter months and just stop or do a massive splurge to get it all out so to speak and then stop? 48 in the next few days, been having night sweats for about a year, phases of uncontrollable chocolate addictions for the last 6-12 months, mood swings off the scale for around 2 years and I'm on day 37 - could this be it?

ggirl Tue 11-Dec-12 08:12:25

I nearly started a thread about this the other day...I'm a few weeks late and am also so pleased.
I am 50 , haven't had any night sweats or anything yet ..am I being too hopeful?

mincepiesforme Tue 11-Dec-12 08:29:07

Everyone is different. Some people's periods fizzle out and other people have bigger gaps and heavier periods when they do come.
I was quite lucky. I had normal periods up to the age of 52 - got a bit lighter-then missed one before a few more months of regular and light ones. Then I missed about 4 months - and hot flushes began. Then one final one - possibly! I had two periods almost a year apart after tha- investigated but all was okay.

I had no meno symptoms at all unitl the 4 months without a period when I had hot flushes. No mood swings or anything. When my periods stopped- I was almost 54- I had hot flushes every hour and sleeping was a real issue. I aksed for HRT because there was literally nothing else I could try- had a really healthy diet, loads of exercise, no alcohol etc. Having read everything about HRT and discussed it with my gynae the research says it's safe on the whole epecially for women under 60.

I'm 53 and post menopausal - got through it without HRT - but it has been a horrendous 5 years - had the lot, night sweats, hot flushes, brain fog, insomnia, mad mood swings, depression. Don't think I had/have vaginal atrophy, but not sure I'd notice if I had! It's just been the past 6 months or so that its all calmed down (still get hot flushes if I have red wine), and now it has, I'm glad to have arrived on the far side of what has been a very stormy sea. I have my brain back, I never have to think about what time of the month it is, I feel a lot more positive about life in general - just have to spend a while sorting out various things I neglected when going through it! I'm also exercising and taking calcium with Vit D in the hope it might protect me from osteoporosis, but who knows?

laughinglikeadrain Sat 15-Dec-12 19:36:25

I'm 43 and due to have my ovaries removed in January and i cant wait. I'm going on HRT for the next 10 years or so and that doesnt bother me at all.

i'm just hoping that i start to feel normal. I have PCOS, hyperandrogenemia and heptatic adenomas.

Thanks for sharing your positive Menopause memories with me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now