Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Aaargh, just want periods to be finished and done with!

(81 Posts)
Horsemad Sat 25-Aug-12 21:32:12

I am so sick of having periods sad I am 48 and have HAD ENOUGH.

Today, I have had to change a super plus tampon every hour, my insides feel like they're falling out and I'm passing clots the size of 50p pieces.
Not a good combination when you need to be out and about uniform shopping!

I stupidly thought 'hey, I'm liking this' after missing a period in June, started the next one in July, bled for 4 weeks (not as heavy as today, but still fairly heavy) a week after I stopped bleeding from that one, I've come on again. Grrrr!

I'm due a routine blood test next week for anaemia; what's the betting I'm back on iron tablets by the w/e? sad

cocolepew Mon 10-Sep-12 12:19:11

Good news pear smile

CuttedUpPear Mon 10-Sep-12 12:04:46

Had a PG test today at docs.

I am NOT PG. Hooooray. (Too old to bend over so wasn't looking forward to it)

New coil to be fitted next month, yuk, I usually scream then faint.

MissBoPeep Sun 09-Sep-12 21:21:34

Digerd- the more I think on this the more worried I am for you!

Does your HRT give you a " period" normally- ie every month?

The breakthough bleeding you refer to sometimes happens when women first take it, or are younger and having normal periods anyway, or the dosage of the HRT is not right.

If you are taking oestrogen and prog, continuosly then you should not bleed. Stopping your HRT for a while will take oestrogen out of your system, and stop the bleeding- BUT you might have overgrowth of the womb lining- hyperplasia-caused by the oestrogen.

Please see your dr- and come back and tell us all is well?

MissBoPeep Sun 09-Sep-12 21:11:04

Digerd

Have you thought about seeing someone about those bleeds? It's not normal- really.

I am on long-cycle HRT and apart from the cyclic bleeds- every 3 months- my gynae always wants me to tell him if there is any erratic bleeding other than the ones I expect.

I've had a biopsy and a hysterescopy to investigate 2 bleeds-but I am much younger than you are.

PLEASE go to your dr for advice. A bleed at 54 might have been acceptable and nothing to worry about- but bleeding now at 68 is not right- even on HRT. Cancer of the uterus is the obvious thing to consider- you really should get yourself checked out.

And woman of 50 can get pregnant by normal means! My gynae reports a woman of 56 having a baby that way!

hoarder Sun 09-Sep-12 20:34:30

Hello folks,
i have had no period since march, but now some spotting and the very worst anxiety (for no tangible reason apart from usual stuff) of my life. Horrible feelings of agitation/restlessness/dread. What has anyone else done about this and how long did it last?

Bellaciao Sun 09-Sep-12 12:52:35

digerd quite worrying to have a bleed at 68 but interested to hear you are still on HRT! What HRT do you use and have you had the same for years? I presume you are on continuous combined HRT if you don't normally have bleeding? I am 59 and have been on it for 5 1/2 years and don't intend to stop - but I have chosen to go the cyclical route - which means I have a bleed (that I expect) every 2 months - but wondering whether long term it would be better to be on continuous prog - although I really don't like the idea as I think it interferes with some of the beneficial effects of oestrogen. Not looking forward to regular bleeding when in my 60's though - but it's all a choice.
Cherie Blair became pregnant with No. 4 child at age 46 I believe.

digerd Sat 08-Sep-12 17:47:50

Not impossible to get pregnant at 47, but it is rare, and at 50, only with IVF with a doner egg.. .I know of 2 women who gave birth at 47, and one at 46, naturally. The 46 year-old was a famous english actress and had never got pregnant, so when she missed her periods for 6 months and put on a bit of weight, she went to GP thinking it was the menapause, and was told she was 6 months pregnant. They showed her at 49 with her 3 year-old daughter and she was delighted with her surprise.

digerd Sat 08-Sep-12 17:34:06

One young GP told me that his mother sailed through it doing yoga!!! Every woman is different, as in life some are luckier than others. I am now 68 and still on HRT, but when a traumatic event happens, I get one again. It's called a " breakthrough on HRT". When it first happened at age 54, I was sent to Emergencey at hospital, but was told it was normal for some women, but then, just incase, I had a scrape and biopsies, and bled with pain for 6 weeks afterwards. needless to say when it happened again several times, including this year, I didn't bother going to GP as knew what he was obliged to do, and stuck it out by coming off HRT until bleeding stopped. But during this time I always had bouts of depression and crying etc. And couldn't wait to go back on it. My sister though, stayed on the mini contraceptive pill until the age of 55 when she looked like 35, and had no symptoms. When she came off the pill, she still had no problems at all, but she did begin to show ageing !!!! But at 65, she looks very good. But then she was born lucky. I went on the HRT at 49 and immediately got rid of the night sweats and nightmares and terrible aching bones in bed, and heavy legs and muzzy head during the day. But my periods had become very light . Sorry for those experiencing such awful effects, HRT is usually wonderful for most people

Horsemad Fri 07-Sep-12 15:39:37

Had blood test results which said although on the low side, they are stable so have another test in 3 months.

Horsemad Wed 05-Sep-12 21:30:02

Jeez Cutted, I think I'd pass out if that happened to me!

My friend at work has a Mirena and she went back as she was having problems and the gynae who checked it said it had 'slipped' shock and it had to be re-fitted!

Imagine if she'd got pregnant - she's just turned 50!!

CuttedUpPear Tue 04-Sep-12 09:19:11

LavenderOil I think it's bit forward of you to say it would be quite lovely for me to have another child at 47 grin

A lovely thought yes. But I'm a self employed single mother with back problems and some kind of ligament damage to my ankle so I am limping all the time and considering going on the sick as I can't work properly.
Also I have no support network were I live and an elderly and frail DF to drive to visit all the time.

No it wouldn't be a good thing to happen now. Even though I do adore babies.

LavenderOil Tue 04-Sep-12 08:30:46

cuttedUp- Would it be the end of the world? I think it would be quite lovely!!

LavenderOil Tue 04-Sep-12 08:30:07

Thank you people. It was a gyanae who did the internal scan and wrote the report back to the gp . That is where I am confused!

May make an appointment again to see whats happening.

CuttedUpPear Mon 03-Sep-12 22:27:46

No I haven't peed on a stick saving my pennies for nappies - I have got a pot to pee in next week.

When we will discover that I am NOT effing up the duff!

MissBoPeep Mon 03-Sep-12 22:27:25

I don't know if this could be offered but removal of the fibroid and an ablation under the same op is surely not out of the question?

A hysterectomy usually brings on an earlier menopause, and there is the additional risk of prolapse and injury to the bladder and bowels ( rarely.) It is now only offered as a last resort after everything else has been tried.

hattifattner Mon 03-Sep-12 22:06:07

Id agree with missbopeep. See a gynae and discuss all the options. Id even urge you to try the mirena. I also have many friends for whom it has been fantastic, they are delighted with it. None of my mirena mates have had any issues, just me. Even my gynae says its like marmite - you either love it, or you hate it. Thing is, you have to try it first.

I really wanted it to work, and I put up with 8 months of bleeding because the alternative bloodbath was too horrendous. The weight gain was horrible, but again, the alternative was worse. This meant that when I saw the gynae again, I could hand on heart tell her I had really given it a really fair shake, and I was able to tell her the negative symptoms I had experienced so she had a really good idea of why I needed an alternative.

cocolepew Mon 03-Sep-12 21:23:45

There is a hysterectomy thread in health, some of the posters on it have had massive fiboids removed, 4 cms is tiny. It may have been only 2 days in hospital but I'm at home on bedrest for at least 2 weeks and a recovery time of up to 15 weeks.

MissBoPeep Mon 03-Sep-12 21:06:12

Lavender

I think you need a re-think and some expert advice.. GPs with all due respect are not experts.

A 4cm fibroid is tiny. My nrighbour had one the size of a grapefruit- had it removed and still had a lot of bleeding up to meno. A friend has one the size of her fist, so her gynae says. I have one that is small- not sure how big but it doesn't gve me any problems.

You are putting up a lot of barriers on treatment that might work, on the experience of 2 friends- there are a lot more women who have positive experiences.

Same for the mini -ill- you don't know it would cause weight gain do you- you are assuming!

If you aren't prepared to try anything, then you have no options.

I think that if you really want help you should ask to see a gynae- or maybe even 2!- to get an opinion on what really can be done.

LavenderOil Mon 03-Sep-12 20:03:22

cutlery OMG !!!!!

hatti - i have had theinternal scan as i was referred on from my gp to ascertain the cause of the bleeding. largest fibroid 2 years ago was 4cm. been on tranexamic acid for 10 blinking years! Sometimes it works and i have what one would call an ordinary period. sometimes its a bloddbath!! sorry tmi.

So when i went back to my gp they suggested the coil or mini pill, ablation they said was not a procedure for me. I suggested hysterectomy, they said its major op blah blah and sent me away to consider the coil
So that was afew months back and i haven't bothered to return. If I do return, it will be because i will be demanding a hysterectomy andbe done with the whole thing.

hattifattner Mon 03-Sep-12 18:32:42

lavender, ask for a gynae referral? My lady Gynae said fibroids were to be expected when ladies get to "a certain age". I think it may depend on the type of fibroid, its location and size as to whether or not it will interfere with the ablation procedure. If you havent had an internal scan, you wouldnt know where the fibroids were. She also said (before my scan) that they can be tied off/ removed sometimes while they're doing the ablation.

Having been through all the treatments, it seems that the standard route is the transexamic acid (and another one...cant remember the name) and if they dont work, mirena or other hormone contraceptive, then ablation, then hysterectomy.

Cutted....scary! Have you peed on a stick yet?

CuttedUpPear Mon 03-Sep-12 17:48:48

Well.... I had to go and get my smear test done today (reward=one choc eclair from reduced section).
I was chatting to the nurse about Mirena coils and she said that in all her years fitting them she'd only ever had one patient feel that it wasn't working for her (after two weeks). She said that the are very well received by everyone else and has never removed any because they were causing problems.

On the minus side, it's time for me to get mine changed. shock sad
I mentioned that I'd had a bit of spotting about two months ago and we worked out that the present coil I have in was changed 6 years ago and she thinks it might not be working.

She has sent me for a pregnancy test

I am 46 with 2 grown children

Sheeet....

LavenderOil Mon 03-Sep-12 14:31:17

coco - that sounds fab. only 2 nights in hosp. I could cope with that.

hatti - I am not sure why my gp said I couldn't have it then, if you have. Oh the dilemma!
As for your nightmare with the mirena hatti, that is exactly what scares me. I just know i would be in your gang with all those probs.

Cutted - glad it worked for you. I would have had it if I could be sure I wouldn't suffer the side effects, but I cannot take the risk of suffering while they force you to go through the settling down period.

hattifattner Sun 02-Sep-12 23:15:16

LavenderOil, i had an ablation with fibroids.

OP, I did not get on with mirena. 8 months of periods, with a total of 4 non consecutive weeks off in that time. And when I wasnt bleeding, I had bacterial vaginosis and 2x group B strep infections. which gave me (TMI warning) copious bright yellow discharge. I also gained 18lbs.

lovely female gynae took it out and did an ablation. 1 day of cramps, 1 month of light discharge, no periods since. 18lbs weight lost rapidly.

cocolepew Sun 02-Sep-12 23:08:11

No problem about questions grin. I had it done on wednesday at 5ish and got home on friday at 3. I could have stayed in but preferred my own bed. Because the drain etc was out and I was able to pee they were happy enough for me to go.

CuttedUpPear Sun 02-Sep-12 22:07:46

Hello all.

I have the Mirena. It was the best thing I have ever done. I've had one since 2002, and that was the date of my last period too.

It has been fucking bliss. 10 years without a period, without feeling like I've run into a brick wall of pain every month, without having to fork out for sanitary towels. It took a few months to settle in with a few twinges and stuff but I've not heard from it since (have had it changed at 7 years though).

The best thing of all though - I am more level emotionally than I've ever been in my life. I'm used to this state of mind now but for the first few years it was a revelation. I feel more confident and capable than I used to. I am not a big cry baby any more.

I'm sorry for those who it doesn't work out for but I just wanted to put my hand up here and say I am a real person grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now