Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Aaargh, just want periods to be finished and done with!

(81 Posts)
Horsemad Sat 25-Aug-12 21:32:12

I am so sick of having periods sad I am 48 and have HAD ENOUGH.

Today, I have had to change a super plus tampon every hour, my insides feel like they're falling out and I'm passing clots the size of 50p pieces.
Not a good combination when you need to be out and about uniform shopping!

I stupidly thought 'hey, I'm liking this' after missing a period in June, started the next one in July, bled for 4 weeks (not as heavy as today, but still fairly heavy) a week after I stopped bleeding from that one, I've come on again. Grrrr!

I'm due a routine blood test next week for anaemia; what's the betting I'm back on iron tablets by the w/e? sad

Bellaciao Mon 27-Aug-12 16:38:58

Horsemad
Re the Mirena and knowing when your periods would have stopped - I agree you wouldn't know. The same is true when using HRT - going from cyclical to continuous combined. If you start HRT less than 12 months before your last period you don't know when they're going to stop naturally. In this case the magic age is 54 when most women will be post menopausal.

So if you had a Mirena put in soon then when it came up for renewal eg after 5 years (not sure of the years either - thought it was 5 for contraception...but 4 for HRT - but could have changed this year - I wasn't aware) theoretically could still be fertile at 53 - but very unlikely. However if it suited you by this time you might be wanting oestrogen if not before so could have another Mirena for the progestogen part of HRT and you wouldn;t need to worry at all!

It's a real pain having heavy/unpredicatble periods - and I'm sure I've said this on another thread ( maybe the one that disappeared?) but when they finish you are in menopause for ever and a whole host of other lovely symptoms are there for you.....

Horsemad Mon 27-Aug-12 18:05:26

Thanks Bellaciao, I need to bite the bullet and speak to the GP don't I?

When I have a 'good' (manageable) month, I think 'oh, it's not THAT bad, I can cope'. Then when I have a bad month, I'm ranting like a mad thing and saying I'll go to the doctor!!

Re the meno and all the lovely symptoms awaiting - we're caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea really aren't we?!

crazynanna Mon 27-Aug-12 18:31:04

I found it Mary!!!!

I found our old thread!

grin

MissBoPeep Mon 27-Aug-12 18:41:36

Flooding and heavy periods are not inevitable part of meno.

I was lucky and had neither- mine just gradually got lighter. I missed one, then had a run of normal ones for a year, and eventually missed about 4 consecutively before my final one.

Horsemad Mon 27-Aug-12 20:18:58

MissBoPeep that sounds a very agreeable way to into menopause grin - I could handle that!

Maryz Mon 27-Aug-12 20:21:28

That's what I wanted MissBoPeep, but sadly that doesn't seem to be happening.

crazy, I'm almost afraid to re-read that thread - it has some scary content grin. But I do think a new support thread is needed for us all to rant on

The trouble is that at 48 you could still have years of periods. I'm 54 and still they keep coming, though thankfully the bleeding is very light.
I used to have periods like those, huge clots, floods, they were horrendous. I now have a Mirena. My 3rd one. It saved me from a hysterectomy and I have nothing but good to say about it.

I thought the menopause had started 2.5 years ago when I missed a couple of months and started hot flushes, but no, here I am still having them. I've had gaps of up to 5 months and usually know a period is coming back because the hot flushes stop and Bloody PMS comes back.

I've had this Mirena for 7 years now and discussed it with my GP. I was worried that having it removed would herald the return of those heavy periods (that's what happened to a friend). I don't need it for contraception but she said that it would still be the treatment of choice.

Maryz Thu 30-Aug-12 18:22:01

<stuffs fingers in ears and sticks head in sand>

I'm going to be 50 soon, and my periods are going to just fucking well stop.

[gavel]

1944girl Thu 30-Aug-12 18:39:22

There is light at the end of the tunnel girls!.
I am 68 and have been period free for 15 years.I suffered from terrible dysmenorea(sp) all my reproductive life.Then in my late forties came the heavy periods and clotting along with the pain.I remember being at work during a very heavy one.The funny thing about it was I was a nurse working on a heamatology clinic and as I was taking blood specimens from patients at the same time it was flooding out of me.
When I was about 51 things got better, I still had regular periods but the flooding and pain ceased and the flow and duration of it slowly dwindled away over the next two years before stopping all together.Yes I got hot flushes and still get the odd one,but I was having family problems as well so my worst hot flushes were the ones with two legs and two arms on them.I have never took HRT, have personal reasons for not wanting it.
My heart goes out to you all but there is an end coming!

marriedinwhite Thu 30-Aug-12 22:00:55

Actually final observation: If I had children in my 20's and dealt with teenagers in my late 30s I might have coped without HRT. Coping with a difficult menopause and teenagers was too much in one go and I put the teenager (one at that time) first.

LavenderOil Thu 30-Aug-12 22:34:56

when you say heavy. how heavy? I get 28 day cycle with heavy as in tranexamic acid but super plus tampon and towel flooded within about 40 mins. that can last for 24 hours like that and i feel so washed out i generally have to go to bed for that day. The following 6 odd days i can manage with the tranex and generally cope with every day life.

Then every 4 or 5 months i get one on 14 day after last period. comes from nowhere, complete bloodbath. I hate it so much, i cannot plan anything, go anywhere. it literally soaks my clothes. Am anaemic and desperate for it to end.

Been offered the coil, although i have some fibroids which they are leaving at the moment. I think a hysterec may be in order. am 47. what do you think?

Horsemad Thu 30-Aug-12 22:48:46

Lavender - sounds hideous sad How do you feel about having the coil - is it the Mirena they have offered you?

LavenderOil Thu 30-Aug-12 22:54:29

yes the mirena. Well friends of mine have had it and most of them have had it removed quite quickly.
Main complaints of irritability, bloating and more bleeding!
I haven't met one real life person who recommends it.
We are nurses.

Horsemad Thu 30-Aug-12 22:59:12

Hmm, I keep reading about Mirena and it's side effects but only know one person with it in real life and she seems happy with it, but I've not had an in depth conversation with her about it, so will pick her brain when I see her next. I just don't want the hassle of having it fitted only to have it removed soon after!! All those symptoms you mentioned I get already WITHOUT a Mirena, so don't want to make things worse!

LavenderOil Thu 30-Aug-12 23:06:15

exactly, that is what is putting me off.

And I so agree with you that during the heavy period you think you must see the gp, but as soon as it is out of the way you just want to get on and forget about it. Been doing this for years.
I really dont think the mirena is for me.
Would rather the hysterectomy, but it is the downtime which is putting me off. But those friends of mine who have had hysterctomies due to this condition have said they wish they had it done years beofre and its a life changer.
If i had a crystal ball and knew it was for one more year, i could cope. The thought that it may rumble on for a few years is simply awful!

Horsemad Thu 30-Aug-12 23:16:29

Snap Lavender everyone I know who has had hysterectomy says the same!! They can't all be wrong, can they??!

chixinthestix Thu 30-Aug-12 23:22:31

I tried the mirena for heavy periods, awful PMT and dire monthly headaches, but I'm sorry to say it was a total disaster - the first one fell out after two weeks, had another fitted and had to have that removed after a few more weeks because it too was falling out. It was agony, I bled the whole time and utterly horrid.

I then saw a different Dr who prescribed me cerazette - mini pill which has been marvellous, no more periods, no other symptoms and apparently I can happily take it for another 10 years or more - I'm only 41 so could have years more of this yet. I know it doesn't suit everyone but has worked for me.

Horsemad Thu 30-Aug-12 23:27:02

Off to google 'Cerazette'

Horsemad Thu 30-Aug-12 23:31:46

Nope, don't really fancy that either! Am becoming more and more averse to the idea of hormones in my body.

chixinthestix Thu 30-Aug-12 23:37:24

I've read some quite negative things on here about it Horsemad so I guess its like the mirena, good for some not for others.
The other thing which helped was that it was prescribed by a gynae consultant through the family planning clinic. I'd seen various GPs over the last few years who were not able to improve the situation and then finally I saw this lovely, sympathetic Doctor and told her I felt like I needed to switch my hormones off for a while. Her reply was 'we can do that, no-one should have to live with those sort of symptoms'. I've recommended all my friends to go there now!

Horsemad Thu 30-Aug-12 23:46:32

I use the FP clinic for contraception (use a diaphragm), so might see if I can speak to a doctor there; the nurses are lovely but periodically (ha ha pun INTENDED!!) ask me if I've considered the Mirena, which I am certain I do not want!

cocolepew Fri 31-Aug-12 00:01:30

Transexamic acid can now be bought, I saw it in boots. I posting this from my hospital bed, I had a hysterectomy yesterday so no more periods for me grin

Horsemad Fri 31-Aug-12 00:11:28

Off to break down the door to local Boots store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Done cocole glad your periods are done now! Lucky girl grin

cocolepew Fri 31-Aug-12 05:39:42

My DD is 14 and gets TA and it seems to help her, she takes 3 a day for the first 3 dats if her period. It maybe adds a day onto her cycle but it definitely helped her,her flow has lessened a lot.

It was by the painkillers for periods in Boots, I think it is readily available in chemists.

Good luck!

MissBoPeep Fri 31-Aug-12 08:24:38

Lavender - I haven't had a Mirena or heavy periods, but have friends who have. The only ones I know with a Mirena are v happy with it!

If you are suffering so much, would you not think about trying it- you can have it taken out after 3 months if no good.

As you will know a hysterectomy is a big op- and it can leave you with other problems. it's pretty old hat now for heavy bleeding- espeically as you might be free of periods in a few years.

The other option is endometrial ablation- has that been suggested?

If i were you I'd try the Mirena- what's to lose, except an hour or so of discomfort maybe on fitting, and removal if it's not for you? can't be worse than what you put up with now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now