Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone taking Elleste duet?

(170 Posts)
DressDownFriday Mon 21-May-12 12:56:12

I've been to the doctors today for my blood test results and been told the menopause is here sad.

I've got a prescription for Elleste 1mg - anyone out there taking it?

Would like to know your experiences, good or bad.

Thanks

Jocadari Tue 15-Apr-14 08:58:10

Hi I'm new but just wanted to add a couple of thoughts about elleste duet 1mg white and green tabs v weight gain. Interestingly, I've managed to lose a steady 2 and a half stone at slimming world over the past 6 months. It's been a steady loss. I love the diet and food etc. Alongside this I've started the above hrt medication and am on month 2 day 8. I'm currently 51 and not had a period since June 2012. I feel loads better on the hrt but my point is this: despite sticking to my usual diet each week I have 'mysteriously' started to have strange weight gains. I know what I eat as I track it carefully via slimming world. It can only be the hrt whatever anyone says about it being a myth. This week I put on 2 pounds which is a complete abberation for me! Bear in mind I don't eat bread sugar and only minimal alcohol. Last week I had no alcohol, bread or sugar. I don't add fat to anything and eat 7 lots of fruit and veg a day. Plus I'd cycled and walked and am a busy teacher to boot. Make of it what you will but I wanted to share to ease the minds of fellow ladies who may feel down heartened. The evidence is clear for me, so this week I will keep a careful food and exercise diary. I was upset after the 2pound gain but am going to see the week ahead as a sort of experiment to see if it must be down to the hrt. Even if the dreaded Easter bunny is on his way with tempting chocolate! I have healthy meals planned and will do cycle rides in between marking and planning for next term. I will let you know if I lose or gain on bank holiday Monday! My advice for anyone concerned about their own weight is to do the 7 7 7 challenge of 7 glasses of water and 7 fruit and 7 veg a day for 7 days!!! Happy Easter.x smile

Elise5 Fri 11-Apr-14 08:14:52

Sorry I mean don't like it.

Elise5 Fri 11-Apr-14 08:13:52

Good morning, I've been on Elleste solo now for two months, I'm feeling so much better after being told my symptoms of five years were from early Menopause, Im now post hormonal at only 43, please can anyone tell me if they have experienced developing a tummy that doesn't feel like your own skin, I'm usually thin frame so notice this easily, I'm quessing weight gain & like it, will this settle if I persevere or will it get worse, I love how I'm feeling on hrt but the weight thing is getting me down, any guidance would be lovely, gp says it only counts for 2.7lbs of extra weight gain.

mopeeps Sat 22-Mar-14 21:55:44

Hi. I am on elleste duet 1mg, have just taken the last white tablet of my first pack and I have been a complete basket case today!! Is this normal? My moods started to settle very quickly after starting them (within 1 week I felt more 'balanced'), then today - worse than ever! Help!!

steffilou Wed 19-Mar-14 10:44:42

Hi....I've just started taking Elleste Duet and on my 5th day. I'm . 56 and not had a period for over a year. I'm feeling better already...not feeling sick any more and the hot flushes disappearing fast!! I'm getting dull period like pains though, will they go eventually? Any body had the same ladies? Also I've an alopicia patch on the back of my head,my GO disagrees but I'm convinced it's hormone related. Any ladies have the same? X

DMWJ1973 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:00:53

After many many months of deliberation I have taken my HRT and I have to say I am feeling a lot better. I am away to take my last green tablet and have period like feelings so hopefully a bleed not far away, however I have put 1.5lbs on over the last 2 weeks. Just hoping this will disappear after my bleed. Anyone else experienced a little weight gain on the run up to their monthly bleed. I'd like to say so far so good, but not liking this weight gain.

MrsDavidBowie Sun 01-Dec-13 12:07:48

I am about to start Elleste duet 2mg.....have been on 1mg for 3 years and recently hormones all over the place, stressed, anxious, do dr has increased to 2mg.

Anything to be aware of in your experience?

Linda152 Thu 14-Nov-13 13:10:40

Hi all. Been on elleste 1 mg now for just over five weeks and I don't seem to feel as good as I did in the first few weeks. I slept really well in the first couple of weeks and felt well and happy. I didn't have a period at the end of the first month. Now I'm just feeling miserable and ratty again all the time and not sleeping well again. Do you think I may need to up the dose to 2 mg ? My doctor said she may need to tweek the dosage in 3 months. Hope someone can give me there views
Thanks

yvonnekeeley Wed 13-Nov-13 12:31:21

I have just started on that as well Elleste Duet 1mg, and I find it great, very satisfied with it, I am only on it a month, and cant believe I hav,nt had one flush since I start taking it, my life was a nightmare for the last 5 years with hot flushes, and I never took anything for it, never had a full nights sleep in years with them, now its great, sleep right trough the night

Gingertabby12 Fri 01-Nov-13 18:37:20

Hi

I have been taking the natural fx-menopause 3 for nearly 2 weeks now, when I had a problem with Elleste. I cannot believe how good it is. Have tried all the usual ones, Red Clover etc and none of them worked. Am sleeping much better I sometimes feel like I am going to have a hot flush and it fizzles away to nothing, only negative is its expensive, you can take it for as long as you like unlike most HRT. For anyone out there who is having problems with HRT would well recommend it. Am going to ask for money off friends and family for xmas to buy more, all I want is to feel good again (the best xmas present for me) and I have to say this has worked wonders for me. Just wanted to pass this on for those of you who are having problems with HRT.

Shellthecroft Wed 30-Oct-13 19:37:02

Hey everyone....

So happy that I've come across this site as reading the positive posts is really encouraging given the negative stuff about HRT. Im 42 and have been suffering for a long time, just taken my first elleste duet 1mg tablet and am praying that my experience is positive and hoping that I too can get my life back... Thanks again everyone, not so terrified now, all the best ��

missbopeep Wed 30-Oct-13 18:46:16

Bleeding problems are evidently very common during the first 3 months but what you have sounds excessive especially when you have not had a period for 3 years. I don't know that HRT but is it one which is no bleed or a sequential sort- bleeds every month?
If it's no-bleed then you should insist he changes it or changes the dose because a full on period for weeks is no fun for anyone!

loly57 Wed 30-Oct-13 13:01:54

hi I have been taking elleste duet conti tablets since September.
the first two weeks were great, no hot flushes, no mood swings, sleeping great for first time in years. But then started to bleed and have not stopped since - 6 weeks now, like a period every day, mood swings are back, period like stomach pains every day, sore swollen breasts, bloating, no sex life, feeling tired all the time. I had not had a period for three years. I'm 58. My doctor said this was normal and could carry on for 3 to 6 months HELP!!
is this normal? I'm feeling so down I do not know weather to give up with hrt.

Missbopeep Wed 23-Oct-13 08:44:06

Premique and Premarin are made from conjugated equine oestrogens- mares urine. These are the types that were used in the WHI studies in 2002 in the US. Nowadays in the UK more drs seem to prescribe bio identical oestrogens as they should have fewer side effects as they are molecularly the same as our own oestrogen. Taking HRT by pills means you have to take a higher dose because a lot of the hormone is lost when it's processed by the liver. Again, most drs prefer to use patches or gel because these need less of the hormone to work, and they have a much lower risk of blood clots.

RafflesWay Tue 22-Oct-13 20:12:08

but not nut!

RafflesWay Tue 22-Oct-13 20:09:24

Hi everyone again, I posted back in mid June as I had just been prescribed Estelle duet 1mg after suffering for over 8 years and not wanting to take HRT. I am still taking Estelle duet 1 mg and am thrilled to post we are getting along wonderfully. No more hot flushes at all, no more night sweats and I have dropped a dress size by following 5:2 diet - not massive anyway nut went up 2 sizes over the years and nothing seemed to work although partly due to under active thyroid. First 2-3 months were a little up and down and had terrible cramping during hormonal bleed but all settled down now and only very light hormonal bleed last time. I am so pleased I bit the bullet and finally gave in to the obvious need for HRT - I feel 10 years younger and can highly recommend. Hope everyone else is doing ok!

Gingertabby12 Tue 22-Oct-13 17:24:08

Hi I went back to my GP regarding Elleste giving me very aching legs and lower back. She told me to stop using it (I had only be taking for a few days). As odd as it seemed the first Elleste free day my legs have not ached. She has now prescribed another one called Premique? on googling this it said it was more suited to post-menopausal women. I have been period free since May this year. Has anyone out there used this and what is their experience of it. To be honest the Elleste experience has put me off a little have also looked at FX menopause, but cann't really find any reviews other than it was given good press from a doctor on This Morning TV Show. Has anyone out there tried it and what is their views? Its quite expensive £17 for a month but if it works then happy to have a go have tried almost everything else.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Oct-13 20:35:01

The research shows that weight gain on HRT is a myth- probably not what you want to hear- and it's not likely you could put weight on due to HRT in 11 days. Some women do feel bloated but that is usually down to the progesterone part- like when you have PMT.
Are you being totally honest with yourself over your diet? Is it possible that the weight gain is the normal 1-2lbs that most of us find goes up and down all the time? Most women put weight on around the menopause because our metabolism changes- the only way to stop the weight gain is to really re-think your food intake- they say you need to cut calories by about a third- and exercise much more.

Linda152 Sat 19-Oct-13 19:27:41

Hi everyone. Been taking elleste duet 1 mg for 11 days now, already putting weight on around my belly and on my boobs will this wear of as my body gets used to it? Been sleeping better and not waking up hot. Getting a few period pains at the moment. I'm 50 and not had a big period in a while. I'm hoping my moods will get better now I'm on the hrt but really worried about all the weight gain already. Please can anyone advise me ? Thanks
Linda

Gingertabby12 Sat 19-Oct-13 17:41:37

I am not sure if it is just a coincidence, I have got cold but have never had aching limbs with any cold (except flu and its not flu). Have not been doing any strenuous exercise either. Probably best thing to do is stop and see if pains go away if they do them it must be the tablets. I have certainly slept better the last couple of nights and only had a couple of flushes which were not too severe today which has been great. So its a shame if I have to stop now.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Oct-13 17:15:36

Are you sure it's linked to the HRT? have you been doing anything else that could cause it- or even have a virus? It's really highly unlikely that such a small dose of oestrogen could cause those problems in 1 day. It won't be DVT because something like that takes months to occur if ever.

Gingertabby12 Sat 19-Oct-13 16:59:38

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Yes have read up on all the side effects and the only one that matches anything like mine is leg cramps. Its not leg cramps but aches and pains, my gut instinct is I need to stop and see my doctor just thought if anyone else had experienced these side effects and if it wore off after a few days would stay with it.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Oct-13 16:11:26

If you think you are having serious or very troublesome side effects then you should see your dr asap. Have you read up on side effects and seen if yours match any that are reported?

Gingertabby12 Sat 19-Oct-13 15:06:55

Hi. I started Elleste Duet 5 days ago after suffering from frequent hot flushes and disturbed sleep. I am 52. My friend started taking the very same HRT 6 months ago and has found it to be fantastic so I had no hesitation on starting it. From the 2nd day of starting on it I have experienced my legs feeling heavy and aching also aches and pains in my lower back and also upper legs, has anyone else experienced these as side affects and if so do they go away soon? I am worried that its a circulation problem and it maybe is not suiting me but just be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this. I would like to give them a go. One of the side effects can be leg cramps but its not leg cramps its dull aching. Be grateful of any advice. I am not overweight, walk a lot and eat healthy and overall in good health. My bloods pressure was normal when taken before they were perscribed. Would also like to add I found out accidentally that you can not take flaxseed oil and the jury is out as to if you can take primrose oil.

Appreciate comments please.

Venushasrisen Mon 14-Oct-13 18:17:28

I took Elleste Duet for about 8 years, felt and looked v good on it, I got a breast lump (prob unrelated to it but at the time there was much in the press about hRT and breast cancer) and stopped taking it. Had a briefish menopause, now 5years on am fine though a bit wrinklier and with big spare tyre, otherwise good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now