Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anyone taking Elleste duet?

(190 Posts)
DressDownFriday Mon 21-May-12 12:56:12

I've been to the doctors today for my blood test results and been told the menopause is here sad.

I've got a prescription for Elleste 1mg - anyone out there taking it?

Would like to know your experiences, good or bad.

Thanks

gem66 Wed 26-Jun-13 10:47:58

Ps.. I also take a Berocca every morning, it really does give you a lift! :D

soggyryvita Thu 27-Jun-13 22:20:00

I'm a week into the green tablets on my first round of HRT. Like others have said, the white tablets were brilliant and my debilitating flushes and constant night sweats eased off within days. Since taking the green tabs though they've come back sad Not as much as before I took any HRT but enough to be a nuisance. Don't know I haven't had any bleeding yet but feel as if I'm maybe about to start?

I guess I shall try another month and see how that goes before trying to work out whether Elleste are going to suit me though. I was adamant in the past that I wouldn't take anything artificial but the symptoms I was having were absolutely wrecking my life.

ladybird4 Fri 02-Aug-13 08:46:22

Hadn't realised how bad I was feeling until I started taking HRT (Duet 1mg). This is my second month and haven't felt so good in years. I kept putting off going to my GP for HRT but it got to the stage where I just couldn't put up with the hot-flushes anymore. Within 11 days I started to feel normal - a feeling that was so alien to me and my family. My marriage was a sham (no sex drive) and my horrendous mood-swings were just about making my little boy's life miserable. My inconsistent behaviour was wrecking my life and I just cannot believe that this was all down to hormones. From an Irish family my mother is a great believer in a shut up and get on with it attitude but she has actually admitted that I'm a different person! Joint pain, hot-flushes, migraines, mood-swings have totally gone - all I can say is "what meno-pause?!".

DMWJ1973 Sat 10-Aug-13 19:52:12

Hi everyone, I've just turned 40 and looks as if I am in premature menopause. I have been prescribed Elleste Duet 1mg and I'm absolutely terrified of taking it. I have sat here for hours reading all these posts where some people are all for HRT and some would not recommend it. I have been a member of Weight Watchers for 2.5 years and have lost 5.5 stones, my worry is what sort of weight gain should I expect. Also period been missing for 5 months now and had 2 blood tests... Is there any possibility my GP could be wrong about the menopause? Had no explanation at all, just been given HRT. Please can some one help me, feeling very mixed up.

joie123 Wed 21-Aug-13 16:57:03

Been on this drug for over a year now, it has changed my life, all the symptoms that have been discussed have made my life miserable, I was on holiday and thought I would give myself a month without this drug to see if I could do without it. All my symptoms reappeared in days and it was a reminder how good this drug is for women with terrible menopause symptoms, I am my usual self on it and a sad old lady without it!!! Couldnt do without this drug, thank goodness we have the option to choose

missbopeep Wed 21-Aug-13 17:04:10

DMWJ1973

Might be better for you to post about premature menopause rather than just HRT? Just thinking you might get more replies.

If you are only 40 then you NEED HRT- it's a no brainer. Google premature menopause or prem ovarian failure and you will see why.

You are only putting back what you ought to have until the age of the average menopause which is 52 in UK.

The risks with HRT don't count for someone your age and you don't start 'counting' the risk years until you are 50 -52.

Without HRT you are at greater risk from osteoporosis, heart disease and possibly other cancers such as bowel cancer.

It's actually really bad that your dr just dished out pills without talking you through this- that's pretty negligent.

There is a website and forum for women with prem meno called Daisy Network.

And there is no scientific evidence that HRT causes weight gain- usually that's down to too many pies and no exercise smile

mariachumasbaker Sat 31-Aug-13 17:09:09

Hiya ladies, a newbie here. I am a mum but my 25 yr old baby has just got married, so I am suffering from empty nest syndrome and menopause. My gp prescribed me Elleste Duet 2mg tablets and taking my 3rd tab tonight. Been doing a lot of research and reading Dr. Christiane Northrup's book, The Wisdom of Menopause which is brilliant. She talks all about HRT and goes into a lot of details about bioidentical HRT versus synthetic HRT -v- risk of breast cancer etc. So interesting. Just want to feel normal again and not have hot flushes, have emotional turmoil and wanting to go off and save the world and have an affair LOL. Also reading John Gray. Mars and Venus which is helping me a lot. Lots of HUGS. Maria

mariachumasbaker Sat 31-Aug-13 17:19:32

By the way, I'm 53 and have'nt had a period for 10 months although this happened before when I didn't have a period for 10 months and I then had a bleed. I had hot flushes for a while as well, which stopped for a few months and then started again. I have left it and left it until I thought to myself - I have got to get some help before I go mad.

frustratedashell Thu 05-Sep-13 21:16:22

Hi im 53 and have been on Elleste 1mg since December 2012. At first it was great but the last few months I've been getting pmt symptoms and started feeling awful. Feel sick and got headaches. Very tired, can't sleep. Hot flushes have started to come back too. I've read about femoston and am planning on going to doctor to ask if I should swop over to this. I had an awful row at the weekend with my partner, mainly i think cos I'm so grumpy and emotional. Poor man doesn't deserve it! Would love to get some feedback from those who have been in my shoes. Thanks

hollyskye Sat 05-Oct-13 19:06:06

Hi I am new to this site but have been reading your experiences with Climagest. I went through a very early menopause at 26yrs having suffered from all the usual dreaded symptoms. I was offered HRT at the start but was very erratic at taking it...think I was partly in denial. I have since had two beautiful childen thro egg donation and at the age of 39 have been experiencing symptoms of severe anxiety and my husband has been saying my mood swings and lack of libido are getting unbearable. Doctors have suggested going back onto climagest as I had not been taking it for 5yrs. Have been taking it for a fortnight and feeling absolutely exhausted all the time. Anxiety levels are sky high. Is this normal as I cannot be carrying on like this with two young children and an active job.

Missbopeep Sat 05-Oct-13 22:40:56

That HRT contains Norethisterone which many women find causes PMT type symptoms.
You might be better off changing to two separate products so you can monitor the effects- such as a patch containing oestrogen and a bio identical form of progestogen such as Utrogestan.
As you had such an early menopause then your GP could refer you to a gynae for expert advice. You really need to be on HRT to the age of 50 to protect your bones.

hollyskye Sun 06-Oct-13 08:31:34

Thankyou. I am having a review of medication in 4 weeks so will mention it. I did try patches for a short while but teaching sport just meant they were coming off all the time. I am worried about the long term affects of taking hrt for such a long time but have been told I must stay on it for my sake (and my marriage). Shall just have to persevere sad

Missbopeep Sun 06-Oct-13 08:59:43

TBH you ought to be more worried about NOT taking HRT for a long time! You are only replacing what you ought to have up to the age of 50-52.
Have you had a look at the Daisy Network's site ( for women with prem ovarian failure) and Menopause Matters website? There is sound medical advice on both from doctors.

Linda152 Wed 09-Oct-13 10:52:56

Hi everyone I'm new to the sight. I'm 50 and had my first Estelle 1mg yesterday. I put it off for a long time, but after sleepless nights and hot sweats it was taking its toll on me. I feel really positive reading all the post about your experiences. I never realised how depressed I've been till I read some of the post on here, it is just how I'm feeling. Well looking forward to seeing the outcome, will keep you posted.

caroleb64 Fri 11-Oct-13 20:40:04

I finally went to the doctors on Wednesday, after having been on the menopause for about the last 4 yrs, in the beginning they didnt want to offer me anything now after the last year of having the horid night sweats and hot flushes during the day, not to mention all the rows I was having especially with my daughters and my own temper tantrums of slaming doors lol, I have finally been given the Elleste Duer 1 mg and after 3 days I can allready see the fog lifting cant believe I have waited this long !!

willotess Fri 11-Oct-13 23:22:12

My (female) doctor prescribed Elleste Duet to me when I was around 50/51. I went to her as I was forever ratty, cried at the slightest things (though my marriage was breaking down at the time too), and felt achey and stiff all the time. Whilst taking it I felt great, no weight gain, my skin and hair was lovely and the aches and pains disappeared.
However last January my (male) doctor suggested I gradually reduced the dosage over a few months and stopping once I reached 57 (last April) as I should have finished the menopause by then.
To be honest I can't see the point of me ever taking it - I'm now going through the blooming menopause! It's just been delayed. I have hot sweats, flushes, and worse muscle aches than ever before. My skin has thinned and feels dry and my hair texture has changed too. The only thing I don't do that I did before, is cry all the time, but I've since got rid of the source of my woes (the husband)!
If I hadn't taken HRT my menopause may have been over and done with by now!

Robbo14 Sun 13-Oct-13 11:24:28

Hi ladies. I'm 53 and still having fairly regular periods, although the last one was a few days early. They had become really heavy so was on mefanamic acid. However, in the last few months, I've started to feel continuously anxious, to the point where I was signed off work for 2 weeks. The doc has now prescribed ellest duet 1mg and I took the first one yesterday. Haven't suffered with hot flushes but am of seroxat which apparently can help with these anyway. I'll keep you all posted! Who would be a woman?!

Missbopeep Sun 13-Oct-13 16:45:34

willotess
Sorry to hear about your experiences but your drs are not right.

Many women continue to have hot flushes etc into their 70s and 80s. Oestrogen deficiency lasts for life and you may never be 'over it'.
There is no reason why you cannot carry on with HRT- look at the latest research by the British Menopause Society- on their website.

Basically they are telling GPs NOT to stop HRT after 5 years or whatever and that it's a personal choice of the women to say what they want, as long as they know the facts and stats about risks.

If you want to carry on with it then you should be allowed to.
50% of women who come off HRT have symptoms come back.

Gerijrich Sun 13-Oct-13 22:44:08

hi Robb, I too first went on seroxat 20 mg when I began to suffer really bad PMT 5 years ago it has worked but now the symptoms of menopause have become overwhelming I have been put on HRT. I am its going to work - it seems to for everyone else,

Robbo14 Mon 14-Oct-13 18:11:09

Gerijrich hi! Been on seroxat for longer than I can remember! Pretty convinced this anxiety is hormone related. Good luck with the hrt and fingers crossed for both of us. X

Venushasrisen Mon 14-Oct-13 18:17:28

I took Elleste Duet for about 8 years, felt and looked v good on it, I got a breast lump (prob unrelated to it but at the time there was much in the press about hRT and breast cancer) and stopped taking it. Had a briefish menopause, now 5years on am fine though a bit wrinklier and with big spare tyre, otherwise good.

Gingertabby12 Sat 19-Oct-13 15:06:55

Hi. I started Elleste Duet 5 days ago after suffering from frequent hot flushes and disturbed sleep. I am 52. My friend started taking the very same HRT 6 months ago and has found it to be fantastic so I had no hesitation on starting it. From the 2nd day of starting on it I have experienced my legs feeling heavy and aching also aches and pains in my lower back and also upper legs, has anyone else experienced these as side affects and if so do they go away soon? I am worried that its a circulation problem and it maybe is not suiting me but just be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this. I would like to give them a go. One of the side effects can be leg cramps but its not leg cramps its dull aching. Be grateful of any advice. I am not overweight, walk a lot and eat healthy and overall in good health. My bloods pressure was normal when taken before they were perscribed. Would also like to add I found out accidentally that you can not take flaxseed oil and the jury is out as to if you can take primrose oil.

Appreciate comments please.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Oct-13 16:11:26

If you think you are having serious or very troublesome side effects then you should see your dr asap. Have you read up on side effects and seen if yours match any that are reported?

Gingertabby12 Sat 19-Oct-13 16:59:38

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Yes have read up on all the side effects and the only one that matches anything like mine is leg cramps. Its not leg cramps but aches and pains, my gut instinct is I need to stop and see my doctor just thought if anyone else had experienced these side effects and if it wore off after a few days would stay with it.

Missbopeep Sat 19-Oct-13 17:15:36

Are you sure it's linked to the HRT? have you been doing anything else that could cause it- or even have a virus? It's really highly unlikely that such a small dose of oestrogen could cause those problems in 1 day. It won't be DVT because something like that takes months to occur if ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now