Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How many different HRT tablets did you try?

(14 Posts)
fresh Tue 06-Sep-11 10:45:56

I'm just wondering how much longer to give it. Started on Duette but after a year the symptoms came back so went on to Elleste. Brain disappeared again so have changed to Femoston but they have side effects too (restless legs, even more painful periods than before..gah). GP is sending me for blood test to check iron levels but I'm sure it's the HRT. When I asked how much longer we keep trying to find the right tablet, she said it was 'up to me' which wasn't madly helpful.
So, how many different types did you try? Am also considering hysterectomy (in fact, if you gave me the instructions and a dessert spoon I would probably attempt it myself, given my feelings today!) which would at least mean I could go on to oestrogen only HRT (believe it's the progesterone which causes my side effects).
So, how long did you give it and were you successful in the end?

ameliagrey Sat 17-Sep-11 14:22:49

I don't take tablets- I use an oestrogen gel and progesterone tablets once every 3 months.

This seems to suit me well and I have not had to change to anything else in 3 years.

ameliagrey Sat 17-Sep-11 14:24:58

It might help to go to a gynae or a menopause clinic for more expert advice.

In France, many women use gel, whereas in the UK it's not so common.

With my regime I have a period once every 3 months so the progsterone is taken only once every 12 weeks.

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 17-Sep-11 14:26:06

I have been using Elleste for about 2 years, and it suits me .
I was interested in your "brain disappeared again" comment, as I have to say I feel a bit like that, but put it down to age.

higgle Sat 17-Sep-11 15:43:45

I've been on Kliofem for 2 years now - great skin, great libido, no symptoms, never want to stop.

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 17-Sep-11 16:04:56

I have no libido at all...haven't for about 10 years.
Maybe I should change to Kliofem......

fresh Sun 02-Oct-11 16:18:48

Sorry not to have been back..assumed no-one was going to answer so stopped checking! blush. Thanks for the replies. Turns out I have very low iron levels so that's the restless legs mystery solved (but now I have to take ferrous sulphate, which requires a spreadsheet to work out the timings to avoid tea, coffee, milk, eggs or whole grains hmm). So am sticking with Femoston, and mainlining nurofen to get thru the painful periods. Thanks for the hints about gel, that might be next.

Bellaciao Fri 28-Oct-11 20:26:23

Fresh - I have never taken tablets but started with Evorel sequi patches and the progestogen in them had bad side effects for me so changed to oestrogen only patches and separate natural progesterone firstly cyclically. Then went onto Evorel conti cos i was supposed to be full menopausal and the prog still disagreed with me so then went back to the separate oestrogen patch and natural prog, continuously (ish). Now trying a different natural progesterone and a slightly longer cycle.
Lots of women try several types before settling on one.
Ameliagray - I'm interested in how you got your regime prescribed because the only longer cycle officially licensed is the 3 monthly pills, and whether you have a large bleed every 3 months and a scan to check your womb lining? Are you on Utrogestan and do you get any severe pms symptoms or headache when you stop them? Thanks! smile

ameliagrey Sat 29-Oct-11 20:27:58

Bellacio

I see a consultant gynae- Fellow of Royal College of Gynaes- privately in Harley Street- he is also NHS. He prefers to give some women Oestrogel , and either a monthly or 3 monthly bleed with progestins. I can't recall the name of then off hand and am away from home- but it's a common progesterone.

I have a heavier bleed every 3 months.

I have had a biopsy and a hysteroscopy over the past year as I had some spotting, but it was okay.

I have also had regular scans as I had an ovarian cyst which turned out to be benign.

I was not aware that what I was being given could not be prescribed normally! I am sure he is not doing anything untoward- he treats the Royal family!

ameliagrey Sat 29-Oct-11 20:28:59

I don't get bad PMT symptoms no- but I only take 9-10 days ever 12 weeks.

happybear Mon 04-Jun-12 18:52:22

I have been on hrt kliofem understand it is natural oestrogen and synthetic prog?. i have hypersensitivity and itching from them . i am actually in pain from the hypo.
Thought the pharmacy may be able to help in suggesting an alternative. at my wits end, do i come off can you just change tablets like that? Feel a bit like a guinea pig why are our bodies so difficult. why cannot doctors take blood test and test the drug out before giving us them in the hope that they work and have no side effects. what is wrong we are in the 21st century. We have the ability to help patients.

ameliagrey Tue 05-Jun-12 21:07:15

happy you need to go back to your GP or ask for a referral to a gynae with an interest in meno.

All drusgs are tested but everyone is differnet- my gyane says that finding the right HRT is a bit like finding a pair of shoes that fit and are comfortable- you might need to try a few sorts before you find one for you.

jomojomum Thu 21-Jun-12 12:27:41

I'm reading this with interest as I have been also having problems with an itchy rash. I took a combined HRT or 3 weeks but after 10 days had an itchy rash which didnt. My GP told me to stop for a week then gave me another to take. The rash improved by about 80% so after the week I started the 2nd one,but after just 1 day the rash is back with a vengance. I will see my GP tomorrow but wonder, (if you dont mind me asking) which type of HRT you found best with this problem. Thanks.

silverqueen Fri 22-Mar-13 17:39:10

Hi.is anyone taking femoston conti ,im a bit nervious about starting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now