Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Ladycare magnet for menopause symptoms

(115 Posts)
sailorsgal Tue 08-Mar-11 15:19:00

I was reading about this the other day and wondered if anyone had tried it? Any good?

Some of the people on the tamoxifen thread may have tried it to counteract tamoxifen side effects - you could ask there...

sailorsgal Tue 08-Mar-11 15:40:21

Great thanks. smile

[[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1148755-TAMOXIFEN-thread-number-8 here -to save you searching !)

bittersweetvictory Tue 12-Apr-11 18:55:44

yes i have and it works, ive posted here before but i think people think im a sales woman for ladycare but im not, ive been wearing it for nearly 2 years and get no hot flushes or night sweats, in fact i get no menopausal symptoms at all ( have had blood tests which confirmed im going through the menopause )
i read about it in a womans mag and was feeling so awfull with the flushes and night sweats that i thought i would give it a go, it worked more or less straight away and have had no problems since, in fact it has stopped all the bloating and lifted my mood, i did loose my first one on holiday and the sweats and flushes came back after a few days so i bought another one and have been wearing it ever since, i can honestly say it was the best 20 quid ive ever spent.

cabbageroses Wed 13-Apr-11 08:04:55

Boots have been told to remove it- or re-package it- was in news last week. Claims that it works have not been proven.

bittersweetvictory Wed 13-Apr-11 13:22:35

Its still on the boots website
www.boots.com/en/Ladycare-magnet_122270/
it has been proven to work, i proved it, as did my 2 sisters and all my mates plus thousands of other women, oh yes and the nurse at the surgery who takes my blood pressure, i dont care if anyone buys one or not, i thought i was doing people a favour but if they want to be a martyr and go on suffering when there is no need, then so be it, at least i get the last laugh ( and no hot flushes, night sweats, bloating etc )

cabbageroses Wed 13-Apr-11 18:42:14

blimey- you still sound a bit menopausal by that rant!

I can't lay my hands on the feature at the mo, but it was in The Times last week as news, saying Boots had to take it off the site, or change the claims.

I have no idea but am open minded.
But if it does work- why is it not available onthe NHS by prescription?

cabbageroses Wed 13-Apr-11 18:45:37

bitter you can't say something works just because it works anecdotally for you and your mates etc, LOL!
The only way to prove it is with a double-blind trial involving 1000s women.

For starters there is the placebo effect, and secondly you might not have any symptoms even if you ar going through the menopause- not all women do- and it could be sheer coincidence that your symptoms came back when you lost it.

bittersweetvictory Wed 13-Apr-11 19:15:15

it has been tested on thousands of women, and has helped thousands of women, its not the placebo effect, before i started wearing it i was getting about 15 - 20 hot flushes a day lasting about 5 - 10 mins and really bad sheet soaking night sweats, as soon as i started wearing it i noticed a difference, within a few days i has no night sweats or flushes, it took a couple of weeks for the bloating to go and lift my mood.
It wasnt coincidense when I lost it on holiday and my sweats and flushes came back within a few days, id been wearing it for about 9 months before that without any symptoms so they wouldnt come back for a week then go away again as soon as i bought another one and had no symptoms since, thats far too much of a coincidence, if i swallowed a pill i might think its the placebo effect but wearing a magnet in your pants that you dont even realise is there isnt the placebo effect.
I have had 3 blood tests all positive for menopause, in fact i am now in full menopause and still have no symptoms.
Its not available on the national health as its classed as an alternative therapy.
I hate the thought of taking HRT or any other stuff ( which i havnt even bother finding out about because my magnet works better and without any side effects )
i was very sceptical myself as im not one of these people who believe in the magical healing power of crystals or any of that crap but it really does genuinly work, read some of the stuff on the ladycare site.
www.ladycare-uk.com/ladycare-pr-28.html?osCsid=tf9797i5qa8i360037gch1cdh0
I do get annoyed that people wont take it seriously because it could be helping a lot more people, i dont know how it works but it does.

cabbageroses Thu 14-Apr-11 14:36:17

bitter if it works for you that is fine. but do you understand what a double-blind research trial is?

It means that say 1000 women stick the magnet in their knickers and 1000 stick a lump of plain metal there.
None of the women know which is the real thing.

Then they look at the results.

This eradicates any placeb effect.

You cannot prove that just because something works for you , then you have symptoms when you don't use it , then it works when you use it again- means a pill or whatever works.

Research actually shows that the placebo effect is evident in 30% of ALL drugs - even those on prescription.

I am pleased it works for you ( and i am a strong believer in whatever works, take it) but don't assume that it is always going to work for anyone- the placebo effect is very powerful. This is especially sowith somethinglike meno as a) hormones fluctuate daily and b) stress, aniety and emotion make symptoms worse.

My blood tests showed i was post meno once but I had no symptoms and went on to have another year of periods.

BecauseImWoeufIt Thu 14-Apr-11 14:40:53

Whether or not it's been proven to work, if it's working for you, BSV, then carry on! (There's also no reason to dismiss the placebo effect - it's a very powerful thing, and if it reduces/removes symptoms, then great).

I'm more concerned about how you lost one - or where you lost it?! grin

For me, the thing that is working is Boots Menolieve tablets. Again, they may be acting as a placebo, as they started working from day one - but I don't care. I no longer have hot flushes at night waking me up.

andreaberlin Wed 01-Jun-11 17:28:49

Message deleted

... and I am reporting this one too

imadgeine Sun 05-Jun-11 20:53:42

Oh dear. I just read the site that sells these. His only research seems to be a consumer survey which is definitely not scientific evidence. If you give 500 eager volunteers a magic charm or a bottle of special pink water - anything - and tell them it is for the treatment of menopausal symptoms, some of them will improve over the next few months (because these symptoms do improve, sooner or later) or some of them will believe they have. Because that is what happens if you do this kind of "research". It is not proper research. Money making scam until proven otherwise.

pinklemonade211 Thu 09-Jun-11 14:28:16

I have contacted the LadyCare helpline regarding this subject and this is the information they have supplied from Dr Nyjon Eccles BSc MBBS MRCP PhD. He is responsible for the LadyCare trials.

"The LadyCare device is effective in alleviated menopause symptoms in 70-75% of women who try it. The rapidity of relief in symptoms (within 24 hours in some cases) is unlikely to be explained in terms of changes in hormone levels. Several recent studies report that menopause symptoms can be explained by autonomic nervous system imbalance....there seeming to be an overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system activity (fight-flight symptoms, sweats etc) and a reduction in parasympathetic nervous system activity (rest, balance and repair). It is well published in medical/scientific journals that when estrogen falls at menopause that this leads to a sympathetic nervous system dominance. This is one of the logical explanations of how cardiovascular disease increases in woman after menopause and why estrogen may be protective pre-menopausally, due to this increased sympathetic nervous system stress on the heart. Research on LadyCare has shown that it reduces sympathetic nervous system activity and promotes parasympathetic nervous system activity in both menopausal and peri-menopausal woman. This is a logical explanation of the benefits observed with LadyCare without the need for a hormonal explanation. An important point is that whilst the LadyCare device seems to relieve symptoms by reducing the sympathetic nervous dominance associated with menopause and peri-menopause, there have been no reported side effects. One might expect that with this non-hormonal mechanism of action that the long term side effects that have been associated with HRT are also not likely to occur with the LadyCare device".

As you can see he does not claim it will help every user but it does have a high success rate and has been proven to work by rebalancing the autonomic nervous system, naturally.

strawberryjelly Thu 09-Jun-11 17:15:04

pinkif you look at the dr's credentials, he appears to be working mainly in alternative medicine. This is fine. However, as the poster above says, itis not a scientific study and the placebo effect may be the real answer for improvement.

strawberryjelly Thu 09-Jun-11 17:15:59

other main point- he is presumably employed and paid by the makers of the Magnet?

As is pinklemonade, I fear. This is his/her first/only post on MN.

strawberryjelly Thu 09-Jun-11 18:42:12

By the way- if you google that dr's name- Dr Nyjon Eccles- heis coming up in a lot of articles about quackery and pseudo-scinece. Nuff said!

Crazyhappymum Thu 09-Jun-11 21:14:30

I've just come in on the subject. Quite frankly I don't know why some of the posters are giving this lady a hard time. We're all on here to help each other.

We all have different reactions to things and for some people they work for others they don't. Is it not true in orthodox medicine that the side effects that you experience from tablets you take may be different to the next person? There's always a list as long as your arm.

Also, there's a million and one health tips coming at us every week in the media - my mum reads the Daily Mail and tells me everything - it drives me crazy. You believe what you choose to believe.

This lady believes it because it works for her. I don't think there was any need to challenge her in this way. Sorry but I did feel sorry for her.

As for myself, I have tried magnets for muscular pain in the past and they haven't worked for me but obviously they work for others.

CHM - which lady do you think we're giving a hard time?

If it's pinklemonade, then I think there are good reasons for suspecting him/her of being here only to promote a specific product. Which isn't really allowed on MN.

If it's bittersweetvictory, then all that's happened is that other posters have pointed out that the results being claimed are anecdotal, rather than proven through clinical evidence.

That said - you're quite right - if something works for someone, then that is fine - for them.

strawberryjelly Thu 09-Jun-11 22:06:34

If you goole that dr- you will see that he was also promoting magnetic band which were supposed to help.

The claim was passed ot he office of Fair Trading who rules that his research etc and claims were false.

Google shows up lots of articles about his so-called pseudo-scientific claims that magnets of all kinds can help all kinds of diseases and illnesses.

i have no axe to grind- it they help people by whatever means- great.

But don't make the mistake of posting a quote from a non-independent dr, who has vested interests and whose science is suspect.

I challenge anyone to actually say they understand his theory in the above quote, and tell me in layman's language how the magnets work!

bittersweetvictory Thu 09-Jun-11 22:19:54

why not just try it instead of arguing about it, its only 20 quid so if it doesnt work for you then fine but its still working for me, in fact i bought another one in case i lost the one im wearing, i dont know how it works, i tried it out of desperation because i couldnt handle the flushes and sweats and its the best thing i ever did, no more flushes or sweats without any drugs, i dont think its the placebo effect but even if it is i dont care as long as im flush free.

pinklemonade211 Fri 10-Jun-11 10:34:02

FYI - I am a woman, a human being with feelings and although i do not owe you anything i will offer a explanation as to why i have only made one post. I am new to this site so everyone has to start somewhere. As a successful Ladycare user i also wanted to be involved with this conversation and can relate to bittersweetvictory's comments. I agree that it is not in the mind when you see a significant physical change whilst using it and a return of symptoms when not. Yes Dr Eccles works in alternative medicines but is that not a good thing someone that can offer safe alternatives to drugs? He has proven Ladycare has an effect on autonomics so how is that placebo when there is physical evidence. Please note the statement by Dr Eccles in my previous post was supplied to me by ladycare.

They do indeed have to start somewhere, pinklemonade, and so 'welcome to Mumsnet'.

But it did sound like you were trying to use MN to market LadyCare. If you're not, then my apologies.

pinklemonade211 Fri 10-Jun-11 13:53:05

Thanks for your comment, i just wanted people to understand that the most recent research done by ladycare is physical evidence that ladycare rebalances the autonomic nervous system therefore it cannot be placebo. Anyway it was the only thing i found to be successful for my menopause symptoms so i am happy to recommend it.

strawberryjelly Sat 11-Jun-11 08:23:38

pink with respect, do you understand what I posted?

It does not appear you do.
The dr who did the research is presumably paid by the makers of the magnet.This means it is not independent.

The most important fact however is that the research is not proven to stand up to strict scientific scrutiny.

If you actually read what he has said he makes assumptions about the cause of hot flushes etc and then makes a connection between this assumed cause and how the magnets could help. If his theory was right, then the NHS would be offering this treatment via GPs and gynaes.

Do you not understand that his "theory" is simply that? They are not peer reviewed, double blind scientific results.

You do not seem to have understood either that he has done other promoting of magnetic products based on unproven evidence which was referred to he Office of Fair Trading. They decided his claims that these products could help were unsubstantiated.

This has nothing to do with him being interested in alternative treatments.
What is did show was that he was talking pseudo-science .

pinklemonade211 Sat 11-Jun-11 09:47:45

Yes i understand your point but the NHS are recommending this product and have been for some time now, my doctor was the one who led me to it and bittersweetvictory also said in a previous post her nurse was using it so health care professionals are aware of it. I think if you actually took the time to talk directly to ladycare as i did they can answer all of these doubts you have about their trials and infact a double blind trial was done years ago. I believe i have read the same arcticle about Dr Eccles and at the end of the day that is one mans opinion and assumptons as to why the wording was changed. If you read to the very bottom of the page there are also people saying how good the products are. I would like to know why you are so against this product.

bittersweetvictory Sat 11-Jun-11 11:28:52

Why not just try it strawberryjelly instead of looking for ways to prove it doesnt work ( when it does ) and pinklemonade is right, the NHS is recomending it as an alternative therapy but not willing to pay for it which is understandable when it only costs £20, the nurse at my surgery is now recommending it to everyone having tried it herself after me telling her about it, she actually thanked me.
I live in Scotland so dont have to pay for prescriptions so i could have any amount of HRT and any other stuff drug wise recommended for menopause for free but i havnt even bothered looking into it as id rather pay for the magnet, even if it cost £100 it would still be worth every penny, apart from the no hot flushes and sweats i have no vaginal dryness or itchyness or any of the other symptoms associated with menopause, i do have a bit of bloating but i can live with that but i cant live without my magnet.
Every thing doesnt have to have a scientific explanation, i cant understand why everyone is so against it since its drug free and only costs £20, i bet most people spend a lot more than that per month on vitamins and other stuff ( again dont know what is recommended as i have my magnet smile )

strawberryjelly Sat 11-Jun-11 11:31:11

pink I am not against the product at all. I have never said that.

What I am against is one dr making claims for a product which are not proven, and who has been taken to the Office of fair Trading for false claims he made on other magnetic products. Don't you see the connection?

Myself and some friends of mine see a gynae privately who is a world expert on meno. he also advocates alternative therapies- such as acupuncture, meditation, herbs, supplements. ayurvedic treatment and more. So I am quite happy to go along with most treatments that might work.

What I am saying is that you appear to be naive in thinking that just because a product is endorsed by one dr, and maybe your own ( you have never said this up till now) that it's proven to work.

I don't really care whethe it works or not but what I do care about are people being taken in by false claims (paid for by the makers of the magnet of course) and false research.

strawberryjelly Sat 11-Jun-11 11:38:31

Published in 2007
Dr Eccles, who plans another trial, says: "There is no doubt the menopause can be a challenging time for women.

"The LadyCare device may prove to be one of the greatest natural solutions for alleviating symptoms."

However, many doctors remain sceptical about the benefits. Research published in the British Medical Journal concluded that any healing effect is likely to be minimal, and can be explained by patients believing in the power of the treatment rather than it really working.

sailorsgal Sun 12-Jun-11 09:22:27

Well I may give it a try. Will let you know how I get on.

ladycare Mon 13-Jun-11 14:38:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

sailorsgal Mon 13-Jun-11 16:46:18

Bugger! Just ordered one this morning from boots.

strawberryjelly Mon 13-Jun-11 17:14:45

errrrrr.ladycare- you aren't allowed to advertise here.

sailorsgal Mon 13-Jun-11 17:16:49

they are giving them away for free!

bittersweetvictory Wed 15-Jun-11 22:27:46

Hope it works for you sailorsgal, please tell us how you get on smile

I'm just bumping as am interested in how Sailorsgal got on with the Ladycare.

scotchmist Wed 03-Aug-11 22:33:40

I use one and its worked for me, it stopped the hot flushes within hours of wearing it and ive never had a night sweat since, ive been wearing it now for around 7 months, i suffered really badly for about 6 months with sweats and flushes and decided to give it a go after a friend recommended it.

rockinhippy Wed 10-Aug-11 00:45:09

Well I'll be going out to get one tomorrow after reading this THANK YOU - I looked at them the other day, but put it back, but as you say for £20 it really is worth trying & if it works for you, then it might for me too - rather that than HRT (which is a problem with chronic migraine hmm )

I will update in a week or so smile

rockinhippy Thu 11-Aug-11 12:27:33

I'm updating sooner as I'm so impressed grin - I bought mine yesterday morning,

more I've been recently having horrendously strong hot flushes, hitting me in waves of one after another lasting half hour sometimes, so bad I'm keeping batiste in business as I could easily wash my hair 2-3 times a dayshock

I was out & about with Dd & had a horrendous headache, even the high strength Cocodamol my GP prescribed wasn't touching it - I hadn't actually linked that to menopause, but seems it was, should have realised as the flushes where even worse yesterday morning

Anyway nipped into a loo & attached the Ladycare to my pants - within 20 min my headache had eased right down - so much so i didn't need another dose of Cocodamol - & the hot flushes are just a fraction of what they were, much more tolerable & not leaving me wringing wet with a sweaty headblush

the only down side was needing to wear pants in bed, but DH tells me I looked like I slept much better as I wasn't flailing around taking covers off & then back on again, as I have been recently.

I did take it off early this morning & guess what I was over heating like hell again & headache back - pants & magnet back on - I'm now feeling much more human

So I'm another one convinced these things can work & HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRYING IT - & no I don't believe its a placebo effect - trust me I'm not one to be that easily swayed -

it works for me, not 100%, but it enough to make it £20 well spent - & thats just with the hot flushes & headache alone - anything else will be a bonus smile

scotchmist Thu 11-Aug-11 18:09:26

It worked for me really quick too rockinhippy the first night after wearing it i didn't have a night sweat, and haven't had one since, the flushes got better after a few hours, ( not lasting so long and not so bad ) after about a week to 10 days they disappeared altogether and again i haven't had one since.
Your comment about the pants made me lol grin i see it as the only downside as well, ive taken to wearing granny pants so i can get my magnet in the right place so it doesnt fall off. smile

scotchmist Thu 11-Aug-11 18:14:20

and i dont think its the placebo effect either, i have now been nearly 8 months hot flush and night sweat free, im sure i would have sussed it out by now if it was the placebo effect.

rockinhippy Thu 11-Aug-11 23:44:43

thats brilliant to know Scotchmist - thanks I'm so relieved to find it work as it is, but if its going to get even better then I will be chuffed to bit grin - I get chronic migraine so the whole HRT thing was a real worry as I apparently have "the wrong type of migraine" so finding something natural that works is a godsend smile

mind you, thinking on it, I shouldn't be that surprised its working, the most useful thing I've found for nausea has been "Sea bands" which are also magnetic & apparently they are recommended by our hospital for Chemo patients - it was a friend on treatment for Cancer who told me about them - so seems the NHS DO endorse magnetic therapy if not yet these smile

sailorsgal Sun 28-Aug-11 20:48:47

I haven't had any hot flushes at night since using the ladycare. Was hoping it would help with other symptoms of menopause but no change there.

lilylace Thu 06-Oct-11 21:20:47

just a word about progesterone cream. I bought two jars of a cream called Wellsprings naturel progesterone cream. It really did work and I started to sleep better and feel very well. But then I noticed that my hair began falling out in handfuls.
I had no idea what was causing it and just hoped that it would stop. After six months I read a blog on an American site about a women who had taken the same cream, with the same symtom had stoped the cream and her hair stoped falling within two days.
I imediately stoped using the cream and my hair stoped shedding. but I had lost half of it.
there is no mention of this side effect in Wellsprings litreture anywhere. I called them on the phone and they offered no help. they just gave me email addresses that didn't work. I was promised that one of their Doctors would call me. A big joke that was, I heared nothing.
I have since found out that progesterone can bind itself to your testosterone and turn into GHT, which is a sort of super testosterone and attack the hair folicals. It's the stuff that caused male patern baldness.
I have spent thousands of pounds trying to solve my hair loss. But there is no solution.It's gone and that is that. I don't look too bad as I still have enough to cover my scalp. But it used to be my crowning glory. I am also a model so it has effected me all the way round.Please,please think twice before buying creams of the internet.

Lucyinthepie Thu 20-Oct-11 09:32:19

I lead a pretty active life. Isn't there a danger it will come undone and fall out the leg of yer jeans?

ladyponge Mon 24-Oct-11 01:09:40

I am 68 and up until 3 years ago I took HRT believing I would take it forever. However my doctor said it was'nt safe. My hot flushes are something to behold. Literally, I am soaked and look like I have washed my hair. I'm thinking of a magnet. Is anyone as old as me and as bad as this. Please help I will be very grateful. Thankyou

ameliagrey Mon 24-Oct-11 17:43:54

How long were you on HRT?

HRT is a case or risks and benefits. MOST drs would agree that 5 years use was relatively low risk and some drs are happy with 10 years. Beyond that, it is often the patient's views on what risks they are willing to take for quality of life.

I am 56 and have been on it for 3 years- my gynae believes 5 years use os safe ( ish) if the benefits are felt to be worth it. After that I know he will allow me to choose- he has told me that when his patients ask what to do, all he can do is give them the stats and the final choice is theirs.

Did you ever have this conversation with your dr?

Have you seen a gynae who is a meno specialist? if not, I'd suggest that before you try aother things- though no reason why you couldn't try the Magnet- everyone is different so worth a go.

twankie Mon 24-Oct-11 23:16:43

okay..well I am going to try this magnet too. Can I still buy it from Boots or do I need to order online? And where abouts in your knickers do you attach it, if that's not too much an indelicate question?

pinklemonade211 Tue 01-Nov-11 16:00:25

Not been on for a while but hopefully this post might help with a few of your questions from your recent posts. In my point of view the magnet has become like a piece of jewellery i don't want to remove! I feel like something is missing when i take it off. I ordered mine online from the lady care website and it arrived the next day, i have been wearing it ever since. Fairly recently a good friend of mine told me that her mother in law was suffering terribly from hot flushes at 72 so i suggested she give Lady care a go. Within 3 weeks she had a huge reduction in flushes and all of a sudden they just stopped. She told me she had been suffering for over 10 years and lady care was the only thing that had ever helped. In the instructions it says to wear it approx 3/4" below the navel so i wear mine a couple of inches in from my hip bone at the front of the body and it magnetises to the front of your pants. As i have been using mine for over a year now if anyone has any questions that i might be able to help with fire away!

sailorsgal Tue 08-Nov-11 20:53:38

I forgot to wear my magnet a couple of nights and the hot flushes came back so it must be working. grin

I'm also very active and even wear it to zumba and it doesn't move.

jubob Thu 11-Oct-12 10:56:47

I have been trying for about 3 weeks now and Im not sure if it is doing any good, I think the flushes might be a bit less severe, but not an instant cure for me like some have said, but I wanted to warn you all off the alternative to HRT that is now being offered...anti depressants! What a nightmare, as the Dr didnt want to give me HRT again , as I have been on it for quite a long time, she said that antidepressants were showing good results for flushes and the one she would give me was very mild!!! What a joke the flushes were no better, the nightsweats increased to the point where I had to sleep on a towel all night and was wringing wet , I wanted to sleep all the time, was like a zombie, I could go on! So after a month of extreme discomfort I decided to stop taking them...big mistake I thought i was dying, Brain Zaps, where you feel like there is an electric buzzer in your head, dizziness, crying,nausea I had to take 2 days off work as I was too dizzy and ill to drive or cope. Apparently I should have weaned myself off them slowly..which seems rather extreme when I had only taken them for a month..also some of the potential side effects are life long..so my advice if you are offered these as an alternative ..run a mile!

MissBoPeep Thu 11-Oct-12 13:54:56

Jubob- get yourself on HRT girl ;)

All the research shows that for women aged under 60 the benefits outweigh the risks.

Why on earth suffer?

Tracy4444 Sat 18-May-13 22:27:21

My doc put me on anti depressant, but trying to find an alternative I am now trying the magnet at 43 people don't understand when I have insomnia and hot flushes especially when I still have to argue about how old I am, nobody believes me and going through the change at 43 and looking 30ish is hellish. I can't describe the flushes and the amount I have to wash my body and hair or apologise for make my chair warm at work or how cold it is in my office. I' am sick of explaining myself so trying a magnet and hoping it works....watch this space!!!!

Sphere27 Thu 30-May-13 21:19:54

I've never posted on here but would like to add my comments! Started wearing magnet 2 weeks ago as my
Flushes day and night were getting me down and very embarrassing!! I'm in a new relationship and really was finding flushes awful.
Within 2 weeks of using magnet I'm so much better! If I do get odd flush its much milder. Have hidden from boyfriend
So far!! Lol. The only thing I have is a windy tummy. Not sure if its related! Would be interested to know if anyone
Else has had this. Would recommend .

bella65 Fri 31-May-13 07:28:01

hmm Not another plug from a marketing person, surely?
I do wonder if some posters simply pop onto a forum to advertise this and other products?

lizziewhiz Wed 26-Jun-13 12:57:09

I worked wonders for me.

lizziewhiz Wed 26-Jun-13 13:01:26

I too suffered with a windy tummy but put that down to artificial sweeteners.

missbopeep Wed 26-Jun-13 13:25:29

Is this yet another person from the company? It's just so odd that people pop along to this forum to endorse a product and are not / have no history on any other part of MN.

Brooksie9 Sat 07-Sep-13 15:55:53

missbopeep - perhaps people like me pop up on this forum because we are actually researching something.. I have been peri menopausal for the last 2/3 years, my doctor offered me HRT which he then confessed would make my migraines worse. Previously I had been prescribed a type of anti depressant for acute migraines, which once I'd researched it fully, decided that it was not something I wanted to take.. I have managed my migraines and the menopause by making changes to my diet.. No dairy, alcohol, caffeine all very boring. However in the last 4 weeks have been hit by severe hot flushes, that I cannot manage - affecting my sleep pattern and now my work. A colleague at work approached me after seeing my discomfort and has recommended the lady magnets.. That is the reason for me reading all of these posts and commenting on here.. and to be honest, I would possibly not bother with anything else relating to Mumsnet.. I will let you know how I get on with the magnets which, after reading much information on them, seems to be worth spending £20 on especially if it works and nobody has mentioned side effects!

laundrybasket Tue 31-Dec-13 11:03:48

its only £24 still in boots - despite lack of scientific evidence - its worth a try...im going to....

Daisywyatt Mon 10-Feb-14 00:18:12

If you are suffering menopause symptoms and have £20 to gamble with why not try it? I shouldn't think it can do much harm. The worst that can happen is that you put a post on here saying it didn't work for you and get slated by the ones it DID work for. I'm gonna try it.

nanasha Sun 23-Feb-14 14:10:24

ive just bought a lady care magnet but before I use it can any one tell me if it could restart your periods, as I have not had a period for nearly a year and I wouldn't want to start them up again. thanks.

WindyWeather22 Sat 01-Mar-14 16:01:52

I thought just like you and was on HRT 2 years - it stopped working efficiently so the consultant upped the dose and within 6 months I'd had an occipital lobe infarct - a stroke - so HRT was stopped immediately. I know it's not the same for everyone, but consider carefully before taking as it does come with risks - I no longer have enough vision to drive, and if I had my time over again, I would not take HRT sad

WindyWeather22 Sat 01-Mar-14 16:07:49

My last message was directed at MissBoPeep

AuntieStella Sat 01-Mar-14 16:23:36

Brooksie99 it often looks a bit odd when people appear on product related threads as a unique post. But as you're looking for wider chat/support for (peri)menopause and the alleviation of symptoms, then I expect we'll see you on other threads in the topic. That tends to demonstrate clear space between the spammers and the new MNetters.

Marlena123 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:32:16

Hello i'm glad i've found this thread because i was just about to try magnet therapy in general anyway.

i have been thinking about what is happening during the menopausal process- this is what i call it because the menopause it seems is only a point in time- according to what i feel mostly and the bits of info i read on the net in books or hear on the radio.

i remember listening to an alternative remedies programme a long time ago -with half an hear- this man was explaining that our bodies are electrical machines in a way

Marlena123 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:42:35

meaning it's electrical impulses running along the nerves, also electrical triggers that make the heart beat, and this kind of battery effect obtained thanks to the electrolytes elements in our cells and blood.

sorry if i am not making too much sense i am not a biologist.

i was reflecting after having reviewed traditional remedies of various parts of the world for the menopause and it suddenly struck me that no matter which continent- it's all along the same line: plants and foods of a very high mineral content are recommended at this time - and minerals such as for instance potassium, magnesium , calciumhave a negative or positive charge to them- i believe.

the change seems to bring on a lack of those hence palpitations, crawling, itching... Maybe the magnet has a rebalancing effect on them.

It would then work on the nervous system this way and possibly even influence hormones.

i would try the ladycare if i needed to but are there any long term side effects studies?

Marlena123 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:44:58

As for the pseudo science part of it - no company will spend millions doing proper trials of it because they wouldn't be able to make huge profits out of it - once you buy your magnet you're set.
that doesn't mean it's not valid.just that it has not been validated.

ghostinthecanvas Wed 05-Mar-14 22:57:31

I used a magnet for my period pain. The chemist recommended it, said it worked for her. Didn't for me. In fact they were worse. Though that could have been coincidence. I may hunt it out, expecting hot flushes soon. I am on lots of threads for endometriosis so not just dissing the product.
However, there is something about magnetic therapies although it didn't work for me. I have seen a dogs health improve dramatically when their owner used magnetic therapy. The dog didn't know obviously and it definitely improved.

jaffacakesallround Fri 07-Mar-14 16:06:35

Dogs pick up their owners' moods. There was something on the BBC website last week about how if an owner is happy their dog will mimic this and vice versa. It is possible I'd say for an owner to be 'happy' and relaxed when they have attached a magnet to the dog, or maybe even to focus more on the dog to inspect its behaviour and reaction- all of which could make the dog behave differently.
The only way to prove this is a double blind placebo trial where the dogs and their owners have no idea if they are being give a magnet or a lump of plastic.

exexpat Fri 07-Mar-14 16:25:37

Feeling old? Shove a magnet down your pants (but mind your laptop).

I really don't know how Boots can carry on selling this when they had to concede several years ago that there was no evidence whatsoever for the claims made for Ladycare after complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority.

ghostinthecanvas Fri 07-Mar-14 16:30:41

Thats interesting Jaffacakes. Wish I had seen that. So going on my experience alone - waste of money.

jaffacakesallround Fri 07-Mar-14 16:41:01

I am no expert on dogs but I can see that if you buy something for your dog that is supposed to make it more healthy, and then lavish attention and care on the dog, it is hard to know if it's that care from the owner, and all the love the dog gets, that helps it get better or the magnet. The same applies to humans- people in relationships who are happy have fewer illnesses and live longer due to the love and attention of their partner.

And- WRT to the magnet- who's to know if the dog was not just getting better anyway in the same way that a cold or another virus eventually goes away- the vast majority of illnesses are self-limiting and get better without drugs.

plumkin12 Mon 14-Apr-14 20:36:56

Hi i have just registered on here so i could join in this ladymagnet discussion, as this site came up when i was looking to see if the magnet has any side effects. I brought one this morning and within a couple of hours of wearing it, i have a bad period like pain and i feel really sick ! I have not had a period for about 10 months. I think it did mention something about, adjusting to it could bring on a period, and it did say you may feel nausea if you were using it in conjunction with other magnets. Well i am not using any other magnets. Has anyone else expierienced bad side effects ?

Brooksie9 Mon 19-May-14 00:46:20

Hi - I came on here several months ago, as I'd been told to try ladycare magnets and was looking for any advice of side effects, said I would come back on and tell you how I got on with magnets.. That was back in Sept 2013, wore them for about 2 weeks and thought I was sleeping better, by the end of the third week realised that my hot flushes had stopped completely.. They were fantastic, when I did get a hot flush, the first thing I would do was feel to see if I had my magnets in place, and would find that I'd forgotten to put them in that day.. So they worked brilliantly, I couldn't stop telling other people, just how great they were.

Then after carrying a piece of metal furniture one day, I managed to lose the smaller magnet, didn't bother replacing it and within a week - back to the odd hot flush, more worryingly period pains and then a show of blood.. Went straight back to Boots ordered my second set of magnets.. Again took a few weeks to kick in, everything was going well until I lost yet another magnet, (trip to the dump with more metal stuff!) however now having 2 of the larger magnets I just stuck them together and thought that would work..

It didn't... So I have bought my third full set (I then discovered you could order just the one that you lost for half the cost).. However this set just isn't working, I have tried switching the smaller magnet with the other larger ones that I already have and so far to no avail.. I am wondering whether the growing collection of magnets on my bedside locker may have affected the ones that I am currently using and/or whether occasionally you get a dud set... Any one any ideas on this please??

plumkin12 Mon 19-May-14 10:45:06

I have had my magnet for 4 weeks and have gone from about 20 hot flushes to maybe one usually in the evening ! Before i could not sleep and was laying naked all night on the top of the quilt with the window open,when we had very cold frosy weather, my partner was freezing huddled up telling me to shut the window !Since maybe day two with magnet i know sleep under the quilt, not one night sweat or anything ! I was desprate and having all the symptoms going of the menopause, i was allergic to hrt, it brought me ouyt in hives so onky took it for a week. Had tried vitamin b and eve primrose oil,nothing was working, was very sceptical about magnet, but its amazing and im practically back to normal ( well as normal as i can be te he )Im reccomending it to anyone who will listen, dont like wearing knickers in bed but its a small price to pay and not only has it banishedmy symptoms ive had a lot of fun with it, my new party peice, is attaching teaspoons and paper clips hair grips ect to the outside of my clothes ! Lol. The first two days i used it i had bad headaches, felt sick and had a period pain, ( they say its your body detoxing ) that just proved to me it def did something ! Anyway mind over matter or whatever i dont care it works !!

Leannie399 Sat 24-May-14 13:30:42

I have just joined today so that I could comment on this thread after reading all 80 posts. I was directed here after searching the web for information about this product.

I bought a Ladycare magnet 5 days ago after being told by my hairdresser what a difference it had made to her...I had never heard of them before this.

I am 42 years old and have been peri-menopausal for around 2 years. My main and most debilitating symptom is aggressive mood swings which have affected almost every one of my personal relationships, from my children, to my friends to my work colleagues..thankfully none to the point of no return, but fairly close at times. At first I didn't think about the reasons why I would become so aggressive and irritable, but over time I came to realise that they were related to my cycle. Other symptoms include periods that now come every 21 days and last for 10 days, although thankfully nowhere near as painful or heavy as they used to be, alongside noticeable fatigue (literally only doing what I absolutely have to), changes to my skin (getting a bit saggy in places), changes to my hair (not able to take any kind of processing at all these days), urinary changes (unable to hold on for more than a couple of minutes, and waking every night to pee), weight gain that I just cannot shift as easily as I used to, joint pain, intermittent hot flushes, and total and utter loss of libido. The last symptom however is more of a blessing than a problem as I am single, and intentionally so as the aggression means that even if Mr Right did turn up, he wouldn't hang around for too long! Consequently, I feel like my life is on hold sad

I have been very reluctant to go to my GP as I know the only real offering will be anti-depressants as it isn't full blown menopause. I don't want to go down that road as they bring along a whole new set of restrictions and side affects. I figured the £24.50 (from Boots, so yes, they do still sell them) was an inexpensive alternative that was at least worth a go.

I am not prepared to claim that it has changed my life just yet as it really is too soon to judge, but I have noticed a marked improvement in my energy levels and feel calmer and less 'edgy' than I was pre-magnet. I have, for the last couple of days been feeling crampy period pain, but nothing that a couple of paracetamol won't relieve, and in a funny sort of way almost feel reassured that it must actually be doing something that I have no sub-concious control over. If, over the next month or so I feel that it is improving my life I will post again. smile

One comment I did want to make to the women who's only drawback was having to wear knickers to bed was to try something along the lines of surgical tape at night...the only reason knickers have to be worn is to keep it in place, which a bit of tape would do just as well if not better really...worth a try!

Tillyboo Sun 25-May-14 23:59:43

Well, I'm going to add my two peneth worth now ..

I have been using the Ladycare Magnet for 2 weeks now. No more horrendous hot flashes, the night ones were just crippling. I had insomnia due to them and hadn't had any sleep for months. I was getting desperate I can tell you.

How it works, I have no idea, all I know is that it does.

Lazysummerdays Wed 28-May-14 18:03:24

The thing is Tilly, menopausal symptoms are notorious for their fickleness! One day you have them then you ( or should I say 'one') and the next they disappear for weeks.
The reason for this is that oestrogen levels are all over the place and even the slightest rise - not enough to trigger ovulation or a period- can result in a decrease in flushes and the like.

I just can't help thinking that if this thing worked, then gynae consultants would be giving it to their patients by the hundred- but they aren't.

Lazysummerdays Wed 28-May-14 18:07:50

Leannie if you are having changes to your cycle and the symptoms of menopause at 42 then that is an early menopause ( classed as before 47 now.) You really must see your GP and it would be advisable for you to take HRT and the risks do not apply before the age of 51- average age of menopause.

If you don't supplement your own falling oestrogen now then you are at high risk of osteoporosis and heart disease in mid life.

Waiting until your periods stop completely is not advisable because all the symptoms you are having now are ones that usually hit women when they are 10 years older than you are.

Please take this seriously and ask your GP for help or referral to a gynae who treats premature menopause.

sheila1957 Tue 03-Jun-14 15:06:23

The symptoms of the menopause is ruining my life, and after using and doing everything possible without using HRT, I've gone to boots today and bought a magnet, pls wish me luck. I will update you all on my progress or not fingers crossed.

sheila1957 Tue 03-Jun-14 15:07:16

The symptoms of the menopause is ruining my life, and after using and doing everything possible without using HRT, I've gone to boots today and bought a magnet, pls wish me luck. I will update you all on my progress or not fingers crossed.

sheila1957 Tue 03-Jun-14 15:07:16

sheila1957 Tue 03-Jun-14 15:18:01

Sorry my post was repeated 3 times.

sheila1957 Wed 04-Jun-14 08:42:33

OMG for the first time in a long time I have had a full night's sleep without sweating, I can not believe it, BIG thanks to the menopause magnet, I hope. it continues?

lynne60 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:29:42

Hi I am 60 years old and went through the menopause at 47 I bought a lady care magnet several years ago and to be honest only wore it a few times but my sweats have come back really bad even doing housework the sweat drops off me and my hair is soaking wet I decided to try 20 to 1 cream and am on my second jar to be honest this cream has done absolutely nothing for me so just last week I started wearing my lady care and the difference it has made is amazing I still get the sweats but they are by no means as bad as they used to be so I suggest ladies go and buy one and see for yourself

lazysummerdays Mon 16-Jun-14 08:49:42

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest this works. Research has been done and there is no proof at all. The reason some people think it works is because meno symptoms vary a lot- some women have weeks when the symptoms are terrible then they subside a little- and this can go on for years and years.
I think Boots had to change their advertising on this product recently because it was considered illegal- claiming it worked when there is no evidence.
If it did work this would have been proved through double blind trials and proper research. It hasn't. If it worked, gynaecologists would simply hand all meno women a magnet and say 'there you are, sorted.'
Some of the posts on this thread are possibly from the marketing dept of the company- bear that in mind.

JCG1234 Fri 20-Jun-14 17:14:52

Ladycare Menopause

I don't know who in their right mind can say this Ladycare magnet is a discreet item.......I've already got a menopausal belly and adding this to my underwear makes me look like I have a serious problem going on!!!

The magnet might work but I'm not about to try it as I am 200% sure I would need to completely change my wardrobe to maternitywear to accommodate this!!!!!!!!

Englishkiwi1 Fri 27-Jun-14 17:45:50

They are 24.99 I would pay 224.99 !!! They are AMAZING I have bought them for some of my menopausal friends & they all swear by them as well now. I was told to expect a change in 2 was....6 days later I was a new woman! Just ask my husband :0)

Englishkiwi1 Fri 27-Jun-14 17:50:27

I'm hearing you & I know you are right. Don't let these doubting thomases waste your time! They are the ones missing out.

JayJay59 Sat 28-Jun-14 15:33:08

Hi, I am new to this group.
Having read the whole interesting thread about the Ladycare Magnets, I decided to buy one. I started my menopause at age 48 and I am now 55 and still suffering with massive bouts of sweating whenever I exert myself. I had some relief for 3 of the 7 years when my doc put me on Elleste. What a saviour that was! But in 2012 I was taken off of them and the hot flushes returned with a vegeance. I was struggling to cope at work day to day so I put on Kliovance, and the lowest dose of Venlafaxine which basically did nothing to ease the heat, but helped the anxiety! Then I was upgraded to Kliofem, which should have (according to my doc) stopped the flushes. It didn't! The only thing it stopped was the feeling of rising heat and 'attacks' at regular intervals, but the minute I exerted my self or went from a cooler room to heated one I started to profusely sweat. I recently started a job I could walk to, a 10 min walk it was, but by the time I arrived I was literally dripping and soaked from the waist up looking like I had just been swimming! I have even sat in interviews with sweat running down my face looking like a very scared applicant, which I believe cost me the position on one occasion. So here I am, totally desperate to find a 'cure'. My LC magnet arrive today and has cost me £29.99 (+PP) so I have everything tightly crossed and hoping like mad that this will be 'the one'.

foxyron Tue 01-Jul-14 19:59:14

I've been struggling with hot flushes and night sweats for more than 10 years now. Been on various HRT but as soon as I stop back they come with a vengeance. I too read an article about magnets in the knickers and at first poo-poohed the idea, but I decided to give it a go.

I found an old magnetic bookmark lying around in my book cupboard and decided to experiment with that. I have to say that I am really pleased with the result. My hot flushes have been reduced significantly. I haven't yet invested in the Ladycare magnet but my own little experiment seems to back up the claims. Definitely off to Boots tomorrow to grab one. smile

IndridCold Wed 02-Jul-14 16:13:42

I bought one a couple of months ago after reading this thread, and have worn it ever since. My symptoms hadn't been too bad, but I used to wake up 3 or 4 times a night, often completely drenched in sweat, and had hot flushes from time to time.

I bought the Ladycare prepared for it to make no difference, but it has. I now sleep through the night and haven't had a night sweat since. The only time I have had a hot flush is when I went out one day having forgotten to wear it! I am fully prepared to accept that it has no basis in science and is merely a placebo, but it works for me, and has made a big difference to my life - particularly regarding the sleeping.

craftylinda123 Fri 04-Jul-14 06:43:50

I have just come across this site whilst trying to find out if anyone has had success with the ladycare magnet (which someone recommended to me) I was quite happily reading through when I came across a post where scientific tests were mentioned. It did quite appear that this poor woman was getting a hard time of it. I thought this was a site where mums were exchanging their experiences,and that's just what I wanted, so let's not have a go at someone telling their story! This is mumsnet, not BMJ.

Lazysummerdays Fri 04-Jul-14 14:11:23

You're not another one working for the company are you smile

Can't quite see why you are taking on the role of a moderator hmm

This is a health forum.
Anyone is entitled to quote scientific research as part of a response to a question.

Would you prefer it if posters ignored research and based their choices purely on anecdotal evidence?

gghayes1 Sat 02-Aug-14 00:21:02

I bet if one works, two would work even better because most of us have two overy's. I have had one on for a week and a half and I'm finally getting results, ie, less hot flashes during the day and night, clearer thinking although I'm still a little moody. Hopefully that will subside, time will tell.

gembodog Wed 06-Aug-14 18:11:44

Lazysummerdays what is your problem ? When you Google Ladymagnet reviews this site comes up, hence the new posters. People have clearly had good experiences based on reviews here and other sites - no it doesn't work for everyone but your nasty suspicious responses to people are uncalled for. We are adults we do our own research - people came to a forum to interact and share views - to use your own words - "Cant quite see why you have taken on the role of moderater Chief Medical Officer"

gghayes1 Wed 06-Aug-14 20:50:45

It keeps you busy doesn't it...

Lazysummerdays Thu 07-Aug-14 11:36:43

gem

If you have done your own research them I'm assume you saw this - where a consultant gynaecologist rates the magnet as 0/10?

Magnets in underwear

Your outburst is a bit OTT - it's clear that companies and their employees come along to these forums and promote their products. Many of the posts are deleted by MNHQ .

There is no rule which says someone can't post another point of view.

gembodog Thu 07-Aug-14 19:42:50

my message isn't OTT - there is having an opinion & being opinionated of which you are the latter. People come to these threads for help & advise as they are suffering horrible symptoms. They dont need to be spoken down to & made to feel stupid. If this works for some people good for them - what difference does it make to you

Lazysummerdays Thu 07-Aug-14 22:47:13

I don't know why you have joined the thread or if you have bought the magnet?
You come along to support a product and appear to have no other posts on MN then attack another poster who is giving helpful advice about the product. Not quite sure what's behind all of that....

I'm not giving an opinion. I'm posting a fact- the fact being there is no scientific basis for the magnet, there have been no independent double-blind trials done, and there are no endorsements for it from drs, as far as I know.

This isn't being opinionated- it's pointing out a fact.

If women want to buy the magnet that's up to them, but it's not acceptable for you to tell people to stop posting facts.

gembodog Fri 08-Aug-14 08:40:41

I do not have a magnet as i dont need one. Its for my mum who doesnt want to take HRT & is using natural remedies, herbal supplements, chilled pillows etc. I am not "promoting" the product I am frustrated by those posting who dont believe in alternative therapies and are being so dismissive of those who do. 20 years ago things like acupuncture were readily dismissed by medical professionals & are now recommended. If this magnet offers some relief to my mum even if that is in her mind....its good enough for me. If somebody has a different opinion opinion to you & says they had good results they are accused of working for the manufactuer - not quite sure whats behind that !

Lazysummerdays Fri 08-Aug-14 10:26:23

Both you and your mum would be better off reading the facts, instead of being swayed by opinions- in other words 'research' done by the manufacturers themselves and anecdotal evidence by users.
I'd advise this for any treatment. I am not posting my opinion- I am posting factual information. You seem to have trouble understanding the difference.

If your mum gets relief as a result of the placebo effect that's great- but don't confuse that with properly conducted scientific research.

thingumagig Wed 13-Aug-14 10:04:26

Hi. Just read almost all the previous posts as I have been doubting the magnets I've been wearing since 13th July and was considering giving up on them. I'm having the odd hot flush but your posts have reminded me how bad I used to get! It's funny how quickly we can forget unpleasant things. Thanks everyone.

thingumagig Wed 13-Aug-14 10:05:25

By the way I was told about the magnets by a colleague, who was told another colleague . . . good old word of mouth!

Mini05 Fri 22-Aug-14 23:38:52

Magnet user
I just bought one whereabouts do you position yours???

DameEdnasBridesmaid Fri 29-Aug-14 17:52:13

I've been using one for the last three weeks, can't say there is much difference.

I had high hopes - a colleague swears by hers.

Will continue for a couple more weeks but disappointed so far

Beene Sun 31-Aug-14 00:55:42

Oh just try it see if it works for you instead of constantly quibbling about petty unimportant possibilities.
It works for me.
I have proved to myself it's not placebo effect.
I am stunned that it works so well. I am stunned it worked almost immediately.
No hot flushes, noticeably better mood.
It works!
I have no idea how it works but it most definitely does!

Beene Sun 31-Aug-14 00:58:28

Ps
Evidence that something works does not mean it has to work for everyone.

sarah2000h Fri 03-Oct-14 13:18:00

I've used my magnet for 10 weeks but no change in hot flushes. Very disappointed.

Ketchuphidestheburntbits Fri 10-Oct-14 16:34:33

I think it's rubbish. Definitely didn't work on me and I'm now having hormone therapy which is helping.

In my opinion it's as much use as putting a fridge magnet in your knickers, except a fridge magnet would be cheaper and prettier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now