Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Can your periods stop 'just like that?'

(14 Posts)
lovemydog Thu 11-Nov-10 21:33:13

Hi -I shall be 50 next week . . . Apart from when I had the kids, my periods were regular as clockwork. I have now not had a period since July. Is this it? So quick and easy? I have occasionally woken up drenched in sweat! - but apart from that no sign of anything.

rivi Thu 11-Nov-10 22:10:16

think it can be very different for everyone. I would go to the doctor now or nurse just for information.

purplepeony Fri 12-Nov-10 14:26:36

Ha! You are jumping the gun a bit- you have to have had no periods for 2 years to be considered menopausal under the age of 50.

As it is, you have missed 4 at most.
Perfectly normal but no good thinking you are though it- sorry. Lots of my freids go 6 months or more before another few come along, then a gap, then some more.
I missed my first at 51 and a half, then they came back and stopped at 53.5, then I have had 3 more in the past 18 months ( now aged 55).
They can stop suddenly but i think you may well find you have a visitor before long.
No need to see dr- you aren't ill.

starfishmummy Fri 12-Nov-10 14:46:48

Mine got further apart for a while and then stopped. No nasty symptoms. Hooray.
Of course you have ruled out being pregnant?

coatgate Fri 12-Nov-10 14:49:20

I missed for a few months, then started them again, regular, and now getting further and further apart. I too was told that you have to go for 2 years without to be classed as through it. I have been lucky so far with no real flushes. But I suppose there is time.

Rivi - Why would the OP need to see a doctor or nurse?

purplepeony Fri 12-Nov-10 16:13:54

My flushes only started once I thought they had stopped for good at 53.5.

lovemydog Fri 12-Nov-10 18:13:01

Oh, all perfectly normal then. I won't bother the doctor and definitely not pregnant! Thanks for your experiences.

hugglymugly Fri 12-Nov-10 19:43:29

I'm a bit late to this, but thought I'd add my two cents worth, just in case it's useful.

The menopause seems to affect women differently - from practically no symptoms to horrendous ones. In my case, my periods had been very regular, but I had a 35-day cycle and I'm not sure whether that was relevant at all. The first real sign that I was menopausal was the year I had only three periods, and then they stopped. I did have some hot flushes, mostly night sweats, and no noticeable mood swings.

At the time it became obvious to me that I was approaching the menopause, I had visited my GP for something unrelated but asked if he had any advice - I was thinking maybe I should watch my diet or take supplements. He referred me to the practice nurse who could only offer pamphlets produced by HRT companies. I probably would have been better off going to Holland & Barrett!

Whatever you do, don't listen to scare stories about the menopause. Just about the only inconvience I experienced was that the odour of my underarm perspiration changed, and was a bit problematic for quite a while.

One Americanism I do like is "hot flashes" instead of "hot flushes", because although some women do experience reddening of the face and even facial sweating, not everyone does. There was one occasion when I was putting on makeup, so looking at myself in the mirror, when experiencing a hot flush/flash and I didn't notice any difference.

On the other hand, some women do experience very problematic symptoms because their hormone levels could go up-and-down like the proverbial see-saw. In those circumstances, any sensible GP should offer HRT, at least as a temporary measure, in order to stabilise those hormonal swings.

Anyway, that's my story, to add to other women's experiences.

lovemydog Mon 10-Jan-11 20:32:28

Pah! Back with a vengeance this morning! Wonder if the next one will be in another 6 months? no symptoms apart from the odd night sweat.

Biscuitscoco Fri 14-Jan-11 04:35:52

I am 52. Mine seem to have just stopped. Have some hot flushes, mood swings but biggest problem is insomnia.

maltesers Sat 22-Jan-11 19:48:19

My GP ways some women just stop periods , some women have fewer periods , spaced well apart, and some continue to have them more regularly but very light etc.
As for me i am 52 and i have only had one period since last February and have the coil . I get very hot at times in the day or night, but not too awful really.

jutt2010 Wed 02-Feb-11 00:45:12

i'm 39 and have always been on time with my periods except for when iv had my children. i'v been sterilised had it done 14yrs since my lst period was 22nd december and not had one since i taken a pregnancy test and it came back negitive could i be going through the menopause ? i'm so worried.

OpheliaBumps Wed 02-Feb-11 13:36:07

Hi jutt, you are quite young for the menopause, but it is possible.

I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor and ask their advice. If it is the menopause they can test your hormone levels and confirm this.

maltesers Tue 15-Feb-11 09:14:02

Yes is the answer, or you have half the amount of periods for a couple of years, or you have some for a few months then there is a big gap , then a few more.
At least this is what my GP said.
I have had one since last Feb. . . .am 52 so am in the Menopause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now