Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Serenity Cream

(95 Posts)
bobsgirl Sat 11-Sep-10 23:00:18

I'm not suffering horrendously but am clearly on the way into menopause. A friend of mine who was suffering badly from mood swings has started using Serenity cream and says it's marvellous.

Has anyone else come across it and what do you think?

missbopeep Wed 10-Apr-13 22:46:13

If GPs prescribe Serenity then why are women paying £20 or so to have it sent from the Channel Islands?

I think you are confused creative.

GPs can prescribe natural progesterone as tablets for example- I think very few would prescribe cream and I have been told that the amount you need as a cream to have any effect would be massive and not acceptable in use.

HRT is given as 2 hormones- oestrogen and progestins ( progesterone is what we make ourselves- progestins are man made,)

Unless you have a uterus you need to take progestins for part of each month, or every 2 or 3 months depending on what your dr has advised. This is to ensure the lining of the uterus does not grow too much with the oestrogen, which can lead to endometrial hyperplasia and possibly cancer.

Oestrogen sometimes is made with mares urine- the HRT made in the US called premarin is- but there is a lot of HRT that is not made with it- in fact most. it is made from bio identical substances which mean the oestrogen is the same- molecular structure- as that we produce ourselves.

missbopeep Wed 10-Apr-13 22:47:11

sorry- typo- should read unless you don't have a uterus....'

JaneBucks Thu 11-Apr-13 10:44:41

Hi there, I was prescribed natural progesterone by my GP. It worked well. I used it for 3 years until I was through the worst. I went to him because I was worried about the cancer risks of HRT tablets. About 10 years ago there was a damning report that came out, some major study that identified big risk of breast cancer. Anyway I'd read something about natural progesterone and told him. He seemed quite happy to prescribe it. I'm just amazed we're still be prescribed pills that have such dangerous side effects.

missbopeep Thu 11-Apr-13 15:30:57

Jane- the latest thinking is that it is the progesterone which is the link with breast cancer.

What did your dr prescribe- can you name it? Be good to know.

Women who take combined HRT- both hormones- have a slightly higher risk, but women who take only oestrogen actually have a lower risk of breast cancer.

The research you are talking about- Million Women and the other one- have been pretty much ditched now in terms of research as they were shown to be flawed. It's all about risks and balancing risks with benefits- do you agree?

I'd be interested to know which progesterone you took- was it the equivalent of the mini pill?

Also- HRT as a tablet is just one type of HRT- there are lots of others which are safer for some side effects. I know lots of women on HRT but none of them actually swallows tablets!

missbopeep Thu 11-Apr-13 15:33:50

Jane you posted in July 12 to say you had been using Serenity for 2 years. Was this what your dr gave you? As these are your only posts on MN it makes me wonder- just a little- if you work for the company?

Soopie Mon 22-Apr-13 15:41:54

I've read some extraordinary things on here, such as "strawberry" saying that Provera is made of horse's urine! No, it is not! Provera is a synthetic hormone that is not bio-identical and has many side effects that are very harmful to the body and can cause - amongst other things - cancer! Premarin was made from horse's urine and was equally as bad for us because it is not bio-identical and doesn't contain much that our human bodies would need/could use! I use Serenity and I have to say that I feel much better on it (no menopausal symptoms). I would NEVER take HRT because of the many risks attached to it (it IS synthetic and not what our bodies need!). Everyone can decide for themselves, but please read up on the pros and cons instead of just taking various people's points of view, when they often do not reflect reality or are misinformed.

Missbopeep Mon 22-Apr-13 16:22:16

Whenever there are any discussions about products that you buy ( as opposed to ones prescribed) 'unknown' posters come along extolling the virtues of the products. I can't help but be cynical and wonder if they are from the companies- especially when they have no other history on the forum at all. hmm

HRT can be made from natural substances too.
Would you like to tell us more about what you understand by the 'risks' in terms of a woman's absolute risk re. age and use of HRT? Interested to know what your take on it is.

Elenkalubleton Tue 13-Aug-13 14:10:07

Does progesterone creme act as a lubricant I'm suffering from really itchy bits tried prescribed zinc / castor oil cream no good.any advice appreciated.

Missbopeep Tue 13-Aug-13 16:54:16

No. The itching is due to loss of oestrogen.

You need to see your GP and ask for either Ovestin or Vagifem cream or pessaries which you use for several weeks to reverse the process.

lisamichelle46 Wed 28-Aug-13 21:08:02

I have been taking ELLESTE DUET 1mg tablets (HRT) for almost 3 months now, after a week or so i started with really bad headaches which I have never experienced before also heavier periods and my hot flushes have not subsided at all, my nood swings if anything are worse, I seem to be experiencing certain side effects but no benefits, could anyone give me ant feed back about these tablets?

lisamichelle46 Wed 28-Aug-13 21:24:25

If anyone could suggest any alternatives that have worked for then I would be grateful.

westfossil Wed 27-Nov-13 18:50:34

I started to suffer with hot flushes at night and during the day which rapidly got worse. Some nights I'd wake up and wonder what had disturbed my sleep and then the heat would begin to rise until it felt as if I was in sauna. I can't take HRT, not that I'd want to, so I thought I would try cutting out certain foods and see if that made a difference. Unfortunately it seems my triggers are wine wine and chocolate! What a blow! Still, it works for me.

jessiflecher1961 Wed 08-Jan-14 11:07:24

Hi, iv'e been reading what the general view is about serenity as i'm not sure if it will help or not, i get loads of hot flushes and night sweats and am sick of it, i had a hysterectomy 6 yrs ago, i also get really bad joint pains , which iv'e had for 2 yrs, which they also said was down to menopause, there now saying it might be fibromyalgia,
so if i could just get rid of the hot flushes, it would make me feel so much better, im 52.

Jaffacakesallround Thu 09-Jan-14 13:24:56

I'm a bit sceptical about this product really, simply because you can get bio identical progesterone ( tablets) from your dr on the NHS if it was going to help menopausal symptoms- but the main meno symptoms are due to oestrogen deficiency. No one has any progesterone post menopause, so I'm at a loss to see how adding it on its own is going to do anything other than the placebo effect.

osbornesl Wed 12-Feb-14 05:34:42

i have just bought this cream . Before I purchased it , I sent serenity cream an e- mail asking if it was safe for me to use.I told them I had a full hysterectomy (overies removed as well ) And that I had HAD breast cancer which was estrogen receptive positive . They assured me it was safe for me to use . My doctor doesn't want me taking HRT. So does anyone know if this cream is safe for someone who shouldn't take HRT .

marlena1211 Wed 30-Apr-14 19:57:06

jaffacakes apparently hormones in the body constantly morph into one another i.e dhea morphs into oestrogens and testosterone (or alike) and progesterone can transform at least partly into oestrogens as well, this is why thgs are not equal for every woman.

The cortisol induced by prolonged stress is a factor as well, as is the state of the adrenal glands whether they do their job or not etc.

it is more complex than a simple fixed recipee oestradiol/progesterone/testosterone.

besides there are loads of different types of oestrogens each with their effect.

Spam66 Tue 13-May-14 09:28:34

Have just stopped HRT which was a miracle cure for terrible menopausal symptoms as had heart attack 2 weeks ago at age of 48! Cardiologist advised I should stop it, but felt it was inconclusive that it contributed to me having my heart attack. Serenity was suggested by one of the cardiac ward nurses, so decided to do some research. Seems to work for some but not others. Had my first bad night last night with insomnia and night sweats in about two years, so may give it a try.

jonahzinny Tue 27-May-14 15:54:04

I have just ordered my first jar after being advised by Dr Peatfield. I have adrenal insufficiency and moderate hypothyroidism. He advised on using this particular cream as this can often be an issue for many women and my symptoms pointed in this direction. From what I have read it seem to makes a big difference knowing when to use the cream during your cycle, I think its 14 days before period begins? same as taking Agnus Castus Berry. I agree finding a root cause to your issues is vital. Candida is also something worth reading up on! Dr David Brownstien and Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfields books are a very interesting and insightful read with regards to our hormones (both holistic doctors) Having the knowledge enables you to decide for yourself what might be best. We each respond in different ways so its important to try for yourself. You can find what works best for you right now, but our bodies do continue to change, even emotional stress impact hugely on our gland functioning. Hypothyroidism can often be a root cause with regards to many hormonal issues, although it seems to go undiagnosed. I will see how I get on with this cream!

Wendy64 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:33:01

Hi, I have been using it for a few years now, it took my 19 day cycle up to 26-28 days and eased cramps and heaviness. I haven't been able to afford it for a while and had forgotten how badly I used to suffer. I have had two periods in 30 days and the cramping last time was pretty bad, along with very heavy loss (sorry to be explicit), so I'll be getting some as soon as I can!

bibijay Sat 20-Sep-14 18:44:56

I haven't used Serenity, but have been using the Life-Flo Progest cream for about 5 years. I am stopping it as I don't believe it makes any real difference to my symptoms and it is very expensive. I found this article online which might be useful-
https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2005/182/5/transdermal-progesterone-creams-postmenopausal-women-more-hype-hope
All the other info about natural progesterone creams seems to be from people selling it, which of course is not reliable or objective.
Personally I think if you're not well off its a waste of money, buy yourself a lipstick or a nice pair of knickers once a month instead, it'll do you more good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now