Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

Hi, at last!!

(40 Posts)
MUMINAMILLION Thu 02-Sep-04 16:40:05

OK, Ive decided its time to formally introduce myself since Im now completely addicted to this site and feel that I know everyone else personally.

Been married for 12yrs, have 4dds and 3 gerbils. My dds (and gerbils) are home educated so I am usually at home - hence the amount of time I spend on here! When Im able to drag myself away from the computer I love reading, art (painting), e-bay (oh thats on the computer too) and ....... well thats about it! Oh, I play the violin too. Im in Scotland (central region) and would LOVE to have another baby or 5, but hubby made sure that is now an impossibility (snip snip).

ghengis Thu 02-Sep-04 17:08:55

Welcome Muminamillion

Prettybird Thu 02-Sep-04 17:11:47

Hi to another Scot! There are quite a few Mumsnetters in Central Scotland.

We really must try to organise another meet-up - but recent attempts have just fizzled out.

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 10:00:09

Thanks Ghengis. (Really relieved that you replied - was feeling very sorry for myself when I posted my profile and was convinced noone would be interested - what a sad case!) Hello prettybird. Im from Stirling and the only other MNer I know from here is my sister, Artyalex. Strangely enough, my hubbie'S from from SA too (or Rhodesia to be precise.) Where's yours from??

ebbie22 Fri 03-Sep-04 10:02:30

Hi,i am from bedfordshire and have 1 dd,also would love lots more...hope you get all the answers you are looking for on mumsnet...

Miaou Fri 03-Sep-04 10:29:23

Hi Muminamillion, another Scottish resident here, altho' a bit too far from anywhere for a meetup! Welcome to mumsnet.

Prettybird Fri 03-Sep-04 10:49:19

Muminamillion - my dh is 100% Scottish (although I am convinced there is a shipwrecked Spaniard somewhere in his past as he is very dark with almost black eyes), but I was born in Pietersburg, Northern Transvaal and I kept my name when I got married. I'd got too used to having a silly surname!

I am sure there are other Mumsnetters in or near Stirling. My dh's sister lives in Stirling - but she cut herself off from the family years ago, so I've never met her.

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 11:29:58

Hi miaou (have seen your posts before on my travels through mumsnet!) and ebbie.Pleased to officially meet you. Sorry prettybird, must have been half asleep when I read your profile. Thought it was your dh from SA. Are you addicted to biltong like my dh? He goes all the way to edinburgh just to buy a pack! The kids like it but Im not too keen, but I do quite like the really spicy stuff tho. And is it my imagination or do we seem to be inundated with SAns in Scotland??? Dh is always meeting them wherever he goes - not that I mind, every one Ive met has been lovely. Perhaps there's some kind of takeover going on that Im not aware of!!

joanneg Fri 03-Sep-04 11:30:36

Hi muminamillion - you certainly sound like a mum in a million! I have started to do ebay in the last month and am hooked - selling everything but the kitchen sink! I am also a mumsnetter addict. Look forward to chatting to you on here.

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 11:39:01

Hi joanneg - wish I was. Chose the name cause I was feeling anything but muminamillion at the time! I have incredibly high expectations of what motherhood is all about, but fall amazingly low of my standards. Since joining mumsnet, Ive realised that most other mothers feel the same way. Maybe we should give ourselves a break and a pat on the back more often! After all, if we care enough about our children to ask for advice on MN, then we cant be doing too badly! I really am hooked on ebay too - although I dont make money on it cause I buy everything in sight! We recently got rid of the TV and I have been stocking up on every board game under the sun for the girls. (My favourite is tiddly winks, although we have our own rules for it which usually ends with us all in a heap trying to be the first one to get our counters in the bowl!) Perhaps one day if my kids are getting on top of me (literally in the case of tiddlywinks) I may consider auctioning them on ebay. What do you think - would I get a good price?

joanneg Fri 03-Sep-04 11:46:10

An American guy once put him and his family (ds, dd and wife) on ebay for a mnillion dollers!! It stayed on for a couple of days before e-bay got a wiff of the ad and took it off as the selling of humans is not allowed!! The funny thing is that he got a bid! So you never know after ds better watch his step if he keeps crayoning on my walls!! (obviously I am joking and not completely mad!!)

I have 1 ds who is 2 and am in ore of any-body like yourself who has braved having 4! I am just like you - no matter how much I try and be a good mum I always feel guilty for something!! I think that that is our natural instincts kicking in or something.

I havent brought anything on e-bay yet just sold computer games (dhs!! he does know!) and CDS. But I am very tempted by the Buffy DVDs that are so cheap.

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 11:52:20

Well, I should be ok putting my kids on then - at times they are definately less than human!! (Especially the 11 yr old - she seems to be a different life-form altogether at the moment!!)

Prettybird Fri 03-Sep-04 12:02:28

Muminamillion - yes I do love Biltong. Must be South African than I think, as dh doesn't like it.

My Dad makes a mean Boerewors (if that's the spelling) - the South Afircan sausage. And yes, there do seem to be loads of SAns in Scotland (and the UK) at the moment. I always surpirse the ones I come across by knowing stragiht away that that they're SAn and not thinking they are Aussies or Kiwis.

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 12:07:50

Yeah, dh loves them too, although hes never attempted to make them! I do make bobootie though, which I think is SA. Delicious!

Prettybird Fri 03-Sep-04 12:48:52

I like bobotie too (although I've never made it) - but my Mum hates it - which is maybe why I've never got a recipe!

She does make fatastic koeksisters and she and I are now in competition as to who makes the best Milk Tart. There is some great food from SA!

Having said that, i can't stand meelie pap (or however you spell it) - but Mum and Dad both love it.

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 12:51:42

Ooh, had the meelie stuff when I was over visiting a couple of years ago. GROOOSSSSSS!!! Dh has attempted koeksisters loads of times. Me and girls love them, but he is always disappointed and says they dont taste like his mums. He cant get them to really absorb the syrup. Could we have your recipe, would the be possible????

scotlou Fri 03-Sep-04 12:59:15

Hi there. I live near Stirling too and work in Grangemouth so not that far away. 2 kids - ds 4 1/2 just started school and dd turned 2 last week. Unfortunately I work full time - but would have loved to home educate so am really envious! -Though I bet it's hard work.

muddaofsuburbia Fri 03-Sep-04 13:11:02

Hi muminamillion -we're moving to Stirlingshire next month all being well, so me and ds'll be up for a meet-up. Also play the violin - but very badly

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 13:12:38

Hi scotlou. Would be nice to meet since we're so close. It is hard work, though a lot easier than people would think. The girls tend to work by themselves most of the time, and I only get involved if they want me to. It seems to work really well because they are learning because they want to, not because they have to. Its nice not to be restricted by school hours too - life doesnt revolve around 9am and 3pm any more. But we do have days when we are all pulling our hair out (and each others in some cases!!!) but on the whole it is great. Its just such a shame that not everyone is in the position to do it too. I dont know of anyone else round here who HEs.

Prettybird Fri 03-Sep-04 13:56:34

I'll ask my mum for the recipe - I've never tried making them myself, but have been meaning to. I know that there is a trick to the syrup, which my mum has mentioned: something to do with doing while they are still hot or are totally cold (can you tell I can't remember! )

I'll get back to you!

MUMINAMILLION Fri 03-Sep-04 14:44:31

Thanks prettybird, appreciate it. Mind you, as Im on big/slim thread, maybe I shouldnt be asking for this!

scotlou Mon 06-Sep-04 12:43:51

Hi muminamillion
I knwow what you mean about the 9 - 3 thing. It's a real pain for me at the moment. I do not want to abandon my son at the school gates at 8.45, so end up waiting till the bell goes - then it's a mad dash down the motorway to Polmont to my mum's to hand over my daughter - means I now get into work at 9.30 - and I'm meant to start at 9! Then at the end of the day, my mum picks him up Mon - Wed, but Thurs & Fri he's now got to go to After School Club. I'm really worrying about this as he's only 4 1/2 and they get picked up by minibus and taken to another school 4 miles up the A9. So I'll have to dash back from work and pick up daughter from nursery in Dunblane and then up to Blackford to the School Club to get there before 6...wonder how many speeding fines I'm going to end up with?? I guess things will settle down and I'll get a routine. The good thing is it's a lovely small school and he is really enjoying it - he hated nursery so I was a bit worried. I did briefly consider home education - but there is no way financially that I could stop work so it wasn't an option. Do you do a lot of social stuff with your kids so they still meet people? That would have been my concern as both of mine are a bit shy and need to work at making friends.

Marina Mon 06-Sep-04 12:55:59

Hi Muminamillion - did your sister used to have a different name but with the same -alex ending by any chance? Welcome to Mumsnet anyway

NomDePlume Mon 06-Sep-04 13:04:37

Welcome Muminamillion (great name).

Prettybird Tue 07-Sep-04 09:13:32

Muminamillion - I haven't got the recipe form mum yet for koeksisters - but she has told me that the secret is to plunge the koeksisters,while they are still very hot, STRAIGHT into the ICE COLD syrup. Because that will inevitably mean that they syrup starts heating up, you have to make LOADS of sytup.

I'm impressed at myself - my recollection wasn't far off after all, ie it IS to do with being very hot AND very cold!

I'll remind her on Wednesday that I want the recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now