Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

period pain in pregnancy

(69 Posts)
dpind Thu 23-Mar-06 19:48:24

Hi Everyone....just joined mumsnet.
After some advice and reassurance if possible.
Just recently found out i am 9 wks pg after having a miscarriage last year. For the past 3 months i have been having period type pains which sometimes appear to be settle and then start up again. I have had no blood loss. Saw my midwife today and she states this can be quite normal as my womb is stretching. I have read lots of books but can't find this in them. Am I right to worry or has anyone else experienced similar pains and gone on to have a successful pg. I am due to have a abdo ultrasound on mon but am really anxious till then.
Any help would be greatly appreciated....please be honest.

2pingi Wed 15-Jan-14 12:11:29

thanks for welcoming me

Annaloveschocolate Thu 23-Aug-12 14:14:13

Hi all, I really hope someone can advise me here- I'm 36 weeks pregnant and getting period pains! I've had a bunch of Braxton Hicks contractions too but this is more like a constant ache just under my bump and spreading to my back, just like a normal period pain if I wasn't hugely pregnant! Is this normal? She will be my first baby and I'm not sure what to expect at this point, but as this has been CONSTANT for almost a week now I am starting to worry.
Thank you for any advice xxx

JSD123 Tue 21-Aug-12 23:08:22

Hi all, hope you can help me.....I took a weeks course of norethisterone to delay my period whilst on holiday. As far as I can work out your period should start 3-4 days after stopping this medication. It has now been 8 days since I took last tablet and have not started my period. Has anyone else ever taken this? I have had sore breasts for a few weeks, and incredibly light spotting day before yesterday (not enough for a pantyliner) which was very light brown, but have had nothing since. My husband and I had sex during my ovulation period last cycle and am just wondering whether to do test. I figured that the spotting would have ruled out pregnancy?? And ive also been experiencing light abdomen period pains. Any thoughts would be appreciated! (by the way, pregnancy would be a good thing not a bad thing!!)

Kelerina Fri 06-Jul-12 13:37:45

Really reassuring thread, am 7 weeks and never been pregnant before and been having lots of period like pains, not seeing mw until 11 weeks so my mind has been put at ease, thank you all! smile

Karla1387 Sat 25-Feb-12 11:00:58

I'm so happy I read this as I was experiencing these pains and was very worried as this is my first. I also suffer from Crohns disease so I didn't know if that had anything to do with it! So much more relaxed knowing this is totally normal, thanks everyone! smile

CakeMixture Fri 17-Feb-12 21:52:20

Elpis - gosh no it isnt ridiculous at all and you arent either! Im sorry if you thought I meant that.

Its just that this thread isnt just old, its ancient grin
I challenge you to find another thread that started more than 5 years ago that has been regularly updated since....... I doubt there are many?

FWIW I had quite a lot of period pain early in both my pregnancies. At the time I thought it was quite common! It was suggested to me (by a non knowledgeable friend) that it was maybe the baby attaching itself!
I hope you have a baby in your arms in seven-ish months time smile

DizzyL Fri 17-Feb-12 21:28:48

Elpis
Thats fantastic news, hope I get the same next week! I'm lucky enough to have had one child already and although she was born extremely early it was a pretty smooth pregnancy. On the other hand, i've also had a missed miscarriage before so am prepared for not so good news too. Just keeping fingers crossed.

Elpis Fri 17-Feb-12 14:47:29

DizzyL

I have good news - at the scan yesterday everything was normal. They couldn't offer any explanation for the pain but confirmed that it would be OK to take cocodamol if it comes back.

I'm still only 7 weeks, so I'm not relaxing completely yet, but it was wonderful to see the foetus pulsing. I do hope you manage to have an early scan too, and that it's reassuring. My GP wasn't, on reflection, very helpful at all. But the Early Pregnancy Unit staff were fantastic.

DizzyL Fri 17-Feb-12 11:00:31

I agree with you Elpis I too am looking through this old thread for a bit of reassurance. I had a spell of severe pain earlier this week and assumed I was having a miscarriage. I went to my GP but as I was only around 5 weeks at t-he time, I was just told to wait and see what happens. Well nothing has happened. I have had no further pain and no bleeding at all. Planning on taking a trip to EPU next week when I should be 6+ weeks and can get a definate answer. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Would be great to know how you got on!!

Elpis Wed 15-Feb-12 16:51:10

And yes, I really hope everyone here ended up with a healthy baby. But lying here in pain, I was looking for reassurance. On such an old thread that probably was silly. I just have to wait.

Elpis Wed 15-Feb-12 16:48:18

I'm not a newbie, CakeMixture - I'm just struggling to deal with a symptom which my GP tells me probably means the pregnancy is unviable but which others say is normal. I'm sorry if it looks ridiculous from the outside.

CakeMixture Wed 15-Feb-12 14:17:45

This thread is bizarre - continuously updated by newbies to MN for SIX years shock
The ops baby must be at school by now!!

Elpis Wed 15-Feb-12 14:07:34

I found this thread while I was searching for information about period-like pain in early pregnancy... It's quite reassuring, though my GP wasn't, despite the fact I haven't had any bleeding. I saw him two days ago and he referred me to the EPU. So tomorrow I'll find out, in his words, whether the pregnancy is viable. (I'm 6+5, btw, with a DD of 2.9 whom I'm still breastfeeding. I never had any pain like this in my first pregnancy, though it ended with an emergency c-section.)

Anyhow, the GP seemed to be preparing me for miscarriage, with reassurances that I'm "still young" (I'm 36) and emphasis that any pain was "concerning".

I know I've only 24 hours to wait to find out, but I don't think I can even bear to look at the scan. I want(ed) another baby so much. And I'm exhausted (DD was up half the night vomiting) and trying to prepare myself for the worst.

lillygibb Sun 22-Jan-12 09:44:30

hi all. I've been ttc for 2 years now, and every month i'd be going through threads like this, looking for advice on whether or not you could have period pains whilst pregnant etc ... getting my hopes up only to be disappointed, but now here i am finally pregnant smile and yes, i had period pains every day from about 2 weeks before my period was due to come on! in the past week i thought that i had even started on about 4 occasions! I had a feeling i was pregnant as i have been suffering night sickness and there was a change in my breasts... when i am due to start my breasts are sensitive in a painful way but this time they were just sensitive with no pain smile i have taken 3 pregnancy tests .... took the first one on the day that i was due to start, at night time and it was a very,very faint line... the next day i took two more and there was two lines as clear as day! soooo excited. I actually had a old pram from my first daughter lying around for years and years, then the week i sold it i caught straight away ... so being superstitious i think it was a bad omen having it here lol anywho good luck with everything everyone x

AngieL28 Sat 14-Jan-12 13:21:23

I am about 6 weeks along so far and have had similar period like pains in my tummy. This website has been so helpful putting my mind at ease. I am always checking for blood when i go to the toilet and am so scared that one wrong move i might make would cause me to miscarry. Any advice on how to ease my mind with the nervousness? My husband and I are just so grateful to be pregnant and want everything to go well. thanks so much in advance.

axielavers Wed 22-Jun-11 21:39:22

hiya, i found out im 6 weeks pregnant. sooo excited.
just got married an it happened so quickly :-)
i have been having pains like period pains for a while and i didnt think i was pregnant at all at first because i was sure i was going to come on. took 3 pregnancy tests just to be sure. lol. i assume these are normal but still, cant help but worry.
i have read that some ppl are going to see their mid wives but my doctor said my midwife wont want to see me till im about 10 weeks. not fair.

Angieweeks Mon 30-May-11 17:45:06

Good luck debs33

mummabrown Sun 22-Nov-09 18:59:54

i am really worried...
i am 4 weeks pregnant and i have experiencing period pains for the past few days. 3 days ago i noticed blood when i went to the toilet, it was light pink in colour.
the hospital tested my hcg levels and they was only 47.
i am worried that i may be having an ectopic pregnancy as they suspect i may have chlamydia!
i am convinced i am going to have a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.

BUT... that's just my story. for reassurance for the rest of you, i also have a 6 year old and i experienced pains early on in my pregnancy with her and my pregnancy was successful. pains in early pregnancy are normal, worrying yes but it could just be implantation pains/bleeding, or pains due to the uterus stretching or simply just your body adapting to change, also pains in place of period is common.
most people do experience pains and go on to have successful pregnancy's so i wouldn't worry to much unless the pains become unbearable and/or are followed by heavy bleeding or fresh red spotting. a small amount of light pink or light brown blood in early pregnancy even lasting between 1-3 days is usually down to implantation.
i am worried about my pregnancy as my hcg levels are low, and i have pains, mainly down one side. if anyone has any advice i am really greatful. good luck everybody xx

peridot37 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:41:28

Hi Everyone, i have been worrying most the night thinking i was going to lose my baby. Im only 3 weeks pregnant and last night i started to get period like pains and very light bleeding but like AngelaCarleen it wasnt enough to wear a pad or a liner. I have 3 children who are all teenagers and never experenced anything like this with them.

Good luck to everyone x x

kazaz Thu 23-Jul-09 16:29:11

I have just finished my second round of IVf, first one being unsuccesfuly, i had the embryo transfer 8 days ago, and getting period like pains, sore breasts, what do you think is this normal, if i am pregnant i should be 5 weeks i think..

Please advise

Thanks

Hi everyone

I found out two days ago that I'm pregnant, but although I've had two positive tests I've been having mild cramping (similar to period pains) and very very light bleeding (not even enough to use a pad). I'm absolutely terrified. I have to have a scan next week. Hopefully it will be okay. This is my first pregnancy and we've been 'trying' for ages. How come no one ever tells you that you can get pains in early pregnancy without it meaning that you're losing your baby. It doesn't help that I am major over emotional and crying at every little thing, or that my husband is away with work until oct.
The rest of these posts have made me feel much better though, thanx wink

Wonderwitch Thu 30-Apr-09 06:13:33

Hello All,

I have just joined, I wanted to say THANK YOU so much, I have been up all night crying an worrying myself senseless, I have had period like pains on and off all day yesterday and through the night, reading your posts has made me calm down and feel so much better a massive.... PHEWWW, a HUGE thank you to you all xxx

Oh I had better give some details lol I am approx 5 and a half weeks pregnant which was quite a shock as I am 40 and have a 20 yr old son and a 18yr old daughter, my partner and I did want to have one together as my 2 are from a previous marriage and he has one son from a previous relationship. But it came a bit sooner than we expected as I was having tests for very high hormone levels and had convinced myself I was starting the change lol so we were going to wait until that was sorted to see if we could try.

I don't remember getting these pains with my other 2 (mind you it was a lonnnggg time ago lol) and it was scaring me witless that I could be losing our little miracle, as if feels to us.

Once again thank you to all of you.

hugs

Wend xx

sab1 Wed 22-Apr-09 21:56:21

hi i an 5 weeks is it ok to go to gym

Babarella Thu 26-Mar-09 09:41:31

Hi every1. I'm new 2 this site&am a little worried. I am 5wks pregnant 2day&since last wk have been havin period like pains. Mostly in my lower back&reslly quite painful! I have 2 other children&dont recall having pains this early on with them. Also I did 2home tests on Mon. Both were positive,but a little faint. I then when 2 drs tues with early morning sample. The test the did also was positive,but even fainter. So the sent a sample off with has also come back positive 2day. On tues eve I did one of those clear blue digital tests,which said pregnant 1-2wks from conception. Am I just being paranoid or could something be wrong?! I'm wondering if it's just that I tend to have low hcg levels as I never seem to get that bad sickness etc. With last 2 pregnancies I just felt sick most of time! Please help if anyone has had same experiances!
Sorry for how long this is! X

Murrv Fri 13-Mar-09 18:04:01

Hi All
I have just joined mumsnet & I have to say after reading all of your experiences you really have put my mind to rest!!
I am 6 weeks & 2 days pregnant
On Tuesday just passed I went to the loo & when I wiped I found a little blood on the paper it was very light pink in colour, it wasnt heavy enough to wear a pad or liner, Thankfully I havnt seen any more since. In the last 14 months I have had 2 miscarriages the first pregnancy felt as if everything was going ok until I was in my 11th week & I went to the loo & there was a little dark brown patch of blood on my underwear It disappeared & then it came back again a few days later but as time went by the blood flow got a lot heavier I went for a scan & I was told I was in the early stages of a miscarriage I was told that it had died at around 7 weeks & it can take some time for the body to realise that it is gone, They did a pregnancy test which was pos I was told that the test would be pos until I passed the baby. So I had a D&C.
My second pregnancy I was sooo nervous, The hospital was great & the booked me in for a reassurance scan at 7 weeks, The baby was perfect everything looked ok & there was a strong heart beat!! Exactly 7 days later I went to visit family my brother in law is a sonographer & he suggested that he do a scan I was delighted & agreed to it but my happiness was short lived he could not find a heart beat
As I said above I am now just a little over 6 weeks & im out of my mind with worry!!! Since tue I have been getting period like pains in my stomach & I find that if I walk around or stand for to long I get a pain in my very lower back, I also have been getting a dull period like pain in my legs. Has anybody else experienced pains like this?
I have called my hosp & they told me that they cannot do a scan until im 7 weeks, I am so worried I booked a private scan which i will have tomorrow, Im keeping my fingers crossed!!
Best wishes to you all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now