Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

period pain in pregnancy

(69 Posts)
dpind Thu 23-Mar-06 19:48:24

Hi Everyone....just joined mumsnet.
After some advice and reassurance if possible.
Just recently found out i am 9 wks pg after having a miscarriage last year. For the past 3 months i have been having period type pains which sometimes appear to be settle and then start up again. I have had no blood loss. Saw my midwife today and she states this can be quite normal as my womb is stretching. I have read lots of books but can't find this in them. Am I right to worry or has anyone else experienced similar pains and gone on to have a successful pg. I am due to have a abdo ultrasound on mon but am really anxious till then.
Any help would be greatly appreciated....please be honest.

mama4688 Wed 06-Feb-08 21:58:54

Hi everyone i'm really new to this, im like a shiny penny lol!
Im 19 and me and my fiancee are expecting our 1st baby, im 6 weeks gone and very nervy!
The slightest twinge is making me apprehensive, as it feels so similar to a period pain I feel like the dreams gonna end n i'll have a period.
Loadsa questions (soz) blush
1st are these pains all normal? feels like behind my belly button n right at the bottom of my belly.
2nd wen I went to see my doctor today he didnt give an MBE1 Certificate??? does my MW give me this to entitle me to free prescriptions, dental care etc?
3rd what foods are best to avoid?

can't think of anymore at the mo but sure il have plenty more lol xxx
Thanks xxxxx

SEXYMUMMY Sat 09-Feb-08 18:41:37

Hi,im 28,with 3 kids under the age of 6.I had a abortion on 22nd of december 2007,it is 9th of february 2008,exactly 7 weeks the day i had the termination,since the abortion i havent had a period,but about 3 weeks ag i have been getting period pains and my breasts are tingling,even up to now.But two weeks tomorrow,i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend of which he came inside me 3 times on that day,since then im still getting the pains and my breasts are tingling even more,plus i have been getting a sharp pain on the lower right side of my stomach,i sometimes get this pain when i am ovulating,but i used to get period pains when i thought i was due on with my other pregnancies.Am i just due on or could i be pregnant?Please dont judge me 4 what i did,i have my reasons,and it aint wasnt the partner i am with now.Please help.THANKYOU

mama4688 Wed 13-Feb-08 21:44:47

Hi Sexy Mummy, This is my first so im not totally clued up on the different pains n stuff. Have you done a pregnancy test??

lola002 Tue 19-Feb-08 13:00:33

Hi, 7 weeks now. Having strange pain in my left side radiating down to my left leg. Sometimes have pins and needles in my toes. Had miscarriage last year at 7 weeks, but never experienced anything like this. Blood tests seemed fine (hcG incresed as should), but i'm still terrified that it could be an ectopic pregnancy. Ever heard of anyone else with the same symptoms?

evenhope Tue 19-Feb-08 13:59:10

mama4628 1) pains are normal 2) I think the MW gives you the forms at the first appt 3) avoid runny eggs, soft cheeses, pate

lola002 sounds like a trapped nerve. I had a pain in my side for a long period of my last pg. They said it was ligaments stretching. My DD is now 11 mo and fine.

wickman Tue 04-Mar-08 10:11:05

hi,
just some advice really.
have had 2 miscarriages in last 18 months. i found out today i am pregnant again but not feeling at all positive.had light brown discharge for about 7 days, now have stomach ache (although did have severe diaorrea yesterday) and some pain in lower back today?
i am very concerned going to miscarry again.had no bleeding last 2 miscarriages, will be 5 weeks tomorrow. any advice?
wickman

rubydog Wed 21-May-08 20:51:41

Hi i recentley discovered i was pregnant although this should be a happy time i cant help but feel anxious after my last pregnancy ended in miscarriage last december i think i am approx 7 weeks but am getting period like cramps several times a day which are also in my lower back and i dont feel my breasts are hurting as much as they were when i first found out mainley in the evenings is this normal? can anyone give me some advice on this to put my mind at rest as it seems like a lifetime away till i have my 12 week scan

thanks x

hunnimummy Sun 06-Jul-08 06:43:57

hi all....
just joined!!!
really worried and confused!!! i am between 5-6 wks pregnant... 3stick tests, 1 wee test and 2 blood tests confirming this. however i have had quite bad period pains and back ache as of a week before me period was due(26-06-08)... period didnt cum so wednesday did a test...or 4 lol and all positive.friday just gone i noticed some watery pinky marks on the toilet paper after passing yet more water... it came and went nothing too drastic but i was scared anyway as i so do not want to lose this baby... this continued until afternoon.i went to hospital where they did another blood test stating that my hcg levels were 1118-is this normal for 5-6 weeks????please help! he did an internal scan but could see nothing(although he did print pics of something!!) and doc said it was prob too soon to see a sac until next week anyway...is this true too??? anyway no more loos that night, yesterday i had a little more but again only when i wiped_never enough to be on a pad or liner. it was alittle darker this time.thye next 3 trips to the loo (as i need a wee every 20mins!!) there was nothing and then alittle and then nothing again.im sooooo confused!! my breasts really hurt at night and first thing in the morning but are ok in the day..is that normal too? period pains seem to have nearly gone today along with back ache i had....going for another blood test at 2 today and i am so scared as if the hcg count has not increased then i will know what is coming... someone please offer some advice if you have any
thanks
hunnimummy xxxxxx

Jodee1986 Tue 08-Jul-08 17:55:26

Hi all...
Ive just joined as I am 7 weeks gone with my second child and this thread has really helped as Ive been having period like pain for nearly two weeks (aswell as morning sickness, tiredness etc) and its good to hear that this is normal as I didnt have it with my daughter.
So thanks all : )
Jodee1986

Jodee1986 Tue 08-Jul-08 17:59:02

hunnimummy

I found this information on an american site maybe it will help ...

Guideline to hCG levels during pregnancy:
hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml

* These numbers are just a GUIDELINE-- every woman’s level of hCG can rise differently. It is not necessarily the level that matters but rather the change in the level. Also be aware that a pregnancy with low hCG levels can often result in a perfectly healthy baby.

Jodee1986

hopeful1 Mon 04-Aug-08 12:21:29

HI,

Wonder if you can help. I am 4 and a bit weeks pregnant after IUI and have had bad period pains and backache which the clinic have said is quite normal but since this am have had dull stitch like pain in right side...is this normal?????? I am so nervous!!!!

ttcnumbertwo Sat 16-Aug-08 01:01:52

Can someone help me??

My husband and I are TTC, and we had sex when I was ovulating. I feel myself ovulate every month, and also saw the egg white cervical mucus, so I knew it was the fertile time.

Ever since about a day after ovulation (8/10/08), I've had period like cramps that came and went, and NOW I feel an ovulating like pain on my left side (where I ovulated this month). How can I be ovulating when I already did?!? I had stretching/ligament pain with my first pregnancy, but not until 8 or so weeks along...

I'm not due for my period until 8/27/08, so it's too soon to test.

Has anyone felt like they were ovulating again when they were in early pregnancy!??! Thank you for any help you can provide!!!!!

London08 Sat 23-Aug-08 09:41:42

dear ttcnumbertwo,

Try First Response home preg test avail at boots. Says it can tell up to 6 days early.
I've just had a postive pg test (first time) and should be 5 weeks today.....and have had dull aches similar to period / ovulation for the last 4 days.

This site has been so reassuring! I am going with the thought that it is my uterus getting ready!

good luck

teetea Wed 24-Sep-08 21:10:06

Hi
I have just found out i am pregnant and have been having period pains for the last week. it seems worse at night and when im sitting down. It also feels like my stomach is really tense. I had a miscarriage last june at 8 weeks and i also have a little boy who is 4. I don't remember these feeling when i was pregnant wth him just the pains of when i lost the last one. really paranoid at the moment even tho im not bleeding. Any help???

Gillyan Wed 05-Nov-08 23:03:18

Hi

What an amazing site this is, I have already put 2 queries on here and had loads of advice - I have gone on tonight as I am 5 weeks pregnant and have been having period pains all day and they were getting so bad that i had convinced myself I was going to miscarry! I have had one pregnancy before and she is 3 and never experienced this. I feel so reasurred by everyone's comments on - I too have never heard of this in a book!

Skydancer Mon 24-Nov-08 17:54:34

Hi
I am 5 weeks pregnant by online calculator, prob three weeks from actual conception, and am soo relieved to find this site! I miscarried just last month very early on and took a pregnancy test last week as i was getting pains. Turns out im pregnant again but have since been getting period pains that really feel like my period will start! Its good to know that other people experience this and now have my fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy.

teetea Sat 13-Dec-08 09:37:17

Hi

I found out my pains were down to my bowls as i have IBS. Im now 16 weeks gone and eveything is great. So keep your chin up. I asked if i could go for an early scan at 6-7 weeks as you can see the heart beat. It put my mind at rest maybe it might help. Good luck

seanf1 Sun 21-Dec-08 23:29:39

hi my g/f just told me she is having dull period type pain shes currently 14 weeks pregnant, we have alrdy had 2 mis-miscarriages, the 1st time the baby had died at 6 weeks and 2nd time 8 weeks both times there was no bleeding we found out on the 12 week scan both times, however she did have these dull pains b4 on both times. My question is what do these pains mean i have read that its normal to have these types of pains and not to worry unless there is bleeding as well but due to are previous 2 experiences bleeding doesnt seem to apply to the situation. any advice would very helpful

scarystuff Wed 11-Mar-09 17:59:31

I started getting pains the day after I ovulated so just assumed I was getting early pre-period pains. The pains remained but I did a test as have been trying to get pregnant for a while now. I had an ectopic pregnancy a few years ago and lost my right tube so very protective of my left one!! I was very worried about the pains which were (and still are) quite severe and stabbing at times and this site really reassured me that i wasn't alone and other people have pains in early pregnancy with no problems. I'm very pleased to say that I had a scan today (5 weeks) and all is ok so far - it's in the right place and growing normally - yippeeeeee!! just wanted to reassure others like you all reassured me! Fingers crossed for the rest of pregnancy

Murrv Fri 13-Mar-09 18:04:01

Hi All
I have just joined mumsnet & I have to say after reading all of your experiences you really have put my mind to rest!!
I am 6 weeks & 2 days pregnant
On Tuesday just passed I went to the loo & when I wiped I found a little blood on the paper it was very light pink in colour, it wasnt heavy enough to wear a pad or liner, Thankfully I havnt seen any more since. In the last 14 months I have had 2 miscarriages the first pregnancy felt as if everything was going ok until I was in my 11th week & I went to the loo & there was a little dark brown patch of blood on my underwear It disappeared & then it came back again a few days later but as time went by the blood flow got a lot heavier I went for a scan & I was told I was in the early stages of a miscarriage I was told that it had died at around 7 weeks & it can take some time for the body to realise that it is gone, They did a pregnancy test which was pos I was told that the test would be pos until I passed the baby. So I had a D&C.
My second pregnancy I was sooo nervous, The hospital was great & the booked me in for a reassurance scan at 7 weeks, The baby was perfect everything looked ok & there was a strong heart beat!! Exactly 7 days later I went to visit family my brother in law is a sonographer & he suggested that he do a scan I was delighted & agreed to it but my happiness was short lived he could not find a heart beat
As I said above I am now just a little over 6 weeks & im out of my mind with worry!!! Since tue I have been getting period like pains in my stomach & I find that if I walk around or stand for to long I get a pain in my very lower back, I also have been getting a dull period like pain in my legs. Has anybody else experienced pains like this?
I have called my hosp & they told me that they cannot do a scan until im 7 weeks, I am so worried I booked a private scan which i will have tomorrow, Im keeping my fingers crossed!!
Best wishes to you all!!

Babarella Thu 26-Mar-09 09:41:31

Hi every1. I'm new 2 this site&am a little worried. I am 5wks pregnant 2day&since last wk have been havin period like pains. Mostly in my lower back&reslly quite painful! I have 2 other children&dont recall having pains this early on with them. Also I did 2home tests on Mon. Both were positive,but a little faint. I then when 2 drs tues with early morning sample. The test the did also was positive,but even fainter. So the sent a sample off with has also come back positive 2day. On tues eve I did one of those clear blue digital tests,which said pregnant 1-2wks from conception. Am I just being paranoid or could something be wrong?! I'm wondering if it's just that I tend to have low hcg levels as I never seem to get that bad sickness etc. With last 2 pregnancies I just felt sick most of time! Please help if anyone has had same experiances!
Sorry for how long this is! X

sab1 Wed 22-Apr-09 21:56:21

hi i an 5 weeks is it ok to go to gym

Wonderwitch Thu 30-Apr-09 06:13:33

Hello All,

I have just joined, I wanted to say THANK YOU so much, I have been up all night crying an worrying myself senseless, I have had period like pains on and off all day yesterday and through the night, reading your posts has made me calm down and feel so much better a massive.... PHEWWW, a HUGE thank you to you all xxx

Oh I had better give some details lol I am approx 5 and a half weeks pregnant which was quite a shock as I am 40 and have a 20 yr old son and a 18yr old daughter, my partner and I did want to have one together as my 2 are from a previous marriage and he has one son from a previous relationship. But it came a bit sooner than we expected as I was having tests for very high hormone levels and had convinced myself I was starting the change lol so we were going to wait until that was sorted to see if we could try.

I don't remember getting these pains with my other 2 (mind you it was a lonnnggg time ago lol) and it was scaring me witless that I could be losing our little miracle, as if feels to us.

Once again thank you to all of you.

hugs

Wend xx

Hi everyone

I found out two days ago that I'm pregnant, but although I've had two positive tests I've been having mild cramping (similar to period pains) and very very light bleeding (not even enough to use a pad). I'm absolutely terrified. I have to have a scan next week. Hopefully it will be okay. This is my first pregnancy and we've been 'trying' for ages. How come no one ever tells you that you can get pains in early pregnancy without it meaning that you're losing your baby. It doesn't help that I am major over emotional and crying at every little thing, or that my husband is away with work until oct.
The rest of these posts have made me feel much better though, thanx wink

kazaz Thu 23-Jul-09 16:29:11

I have just finished my second round of IVf, first one being unsuccesfuly, i had the embryo transfer 8 days ago, and getting period like pains, sore breasts, what do you think is this normal, if i am pregnant i should be 5 weeks i think..

Please advise

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now