When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Anyone in Gloucester area?

(579 Posts)
lankyalto Thu 30-Apr-09 17:31:44

I am feeling brave today and want to get out and meet some new people, are there any MN ladies in the Gloucester area who would like to meet up?

PatTheHammer Thu 07-May-09 16:52:25

Monkey Go Bananas is a bit grubby and no natural light, gives me a headache everytime I go there (it's my local one) Nice cafe though, with great cakes!. Hope your move goes well and welcome to the area smile

pop1973 Thu 07-May-09 16:56:49

Welcome to the area. I live on the outskirts of Gloucester more towards the Forest area.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 07-May-09 16:56:54

Won't tell you to feck off!! She goes to Cleeve School in Bishop's Cleeve, really happy with it as it's excellent academically and is very sporty as well. We moved to Gloucester just before Christmas but kept her in Cleeve School because it's good, she wouldn't mind moving over to a school in Gloucester however the senior schools aren't very good and the grammars are oversubscribed. The only schools I would consider sending her to are High School for Girls and Ribston Hall, she is on the waiting list for both. However I think she will probably stay where she is I much prefer mixed education really. In primary she went to Bishop's Cleeve Primary which was absolutely excellent.

Senior schools in Gloucester and Cheltenham are shocking, really, they are either excellent or awful, no middle ground really. MNers in Churchdown - you're lucky though because Chosen Hill school in Churchdown is excellent!

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 07-May-09 16:58:04

Yes, welcome to the area, it is lovely, and Cheltenham is good for shopping (too good!)

SazzlesA Thu 07-May-09 16:59:51

I have been to Go Bananas - ok but a bit too much for my 2.5 year old and i struggle to help her round whilst keeping tabs on the 8 month old. I have heard that Magicland is excellent but have never been

Fri am's are good for us if that works for anyone else?

PatTheHammer Thu 07-May-09 17:05:51

Cleeve is a good school, have some friends who have worked there. Think you are right not enough middle ground in Glos/Chelt or Stroud really, Think Glos has it worse because has more grammars. At least in Chelt you have Balcarras and Bournside (did my training there!). I second that Chosen Hill is good too.
Really want to move back to Chelt before DD is Secondary age since at the moment we are in the catchment of Maidenhill (in special measures!).

Yep, I have to avoid shopping in Cheltenham at the moment as maternity pay is abysmal. Do like a nice saunter down the prom....

Littlefish Thu 07-May-09 17:09:34

LOL at Getorf's description of the Prom Club - I did't realise it was still open!

PatTheHammer Thu 07-May-09 17:13:04

Sazzles
Mon, wed, Fri am DD at pre-school but could bring the LO on his own. Tues/thurs mornings good for both though!

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 07-May-09 17:13:42

Yes, very nearly sent dd to Bournside, DP went there when he was young and has fond memories. DD has ideas above her station and asks if she can go to Cheltenham College 'because it looks pretty' hmm

My SIL is already very anxious about where her dd's will go to school. She currently lives in Leckhampton (very nice) so is in Balcarras, and is considering a move to the other side of town, however that will be in the Pittville catchment area. Is such a shame for the parents who have no choice in moving house, it's almost like the kids are damned before they start.

Didn't know Maidenhill was in special measures. Does Stroud have good schools? (probably impossible to get into).

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 07-May-09 17:15:17

Prom Club is awful. Haven't been there for about a year (sad) but it is like a relic from the 80's, however they have tarted it up a bit and are trying to rebrand it as a lounge/cocktail bar. Good luck with that!

SazzlesA Thu 07-May-09 17:20:29

LOL pat my DD is at her CM Tues and Thurs all day grin. Can usually do weds afternoon though with both

Stroud High and Marling (plus another Boys school) are good schools in Stroud I believe? DH already has it in his mind that DD1 will go to Pates hmm

Also lol at the Prom Club ... my boss claims to go there. In his defence, he is not, to the best of my knowledge an old perv - you'd not think that to look at him though.

GetOrfMoiLand, I must live nearish your SIL, though not that near if she's confident of Balcarras. We are slap-bang between the two schools and on this year's showing would get into neither. However, DD is only in Reception, so a number of years hot-housing her for grammar school entrance beckons ... wink

Stroud has a couple of grammars, I think, not sure what the comprehensives are like.

PatTheHammer Thu 07-May-09 17:20:57

Lol at Cheltenham college 'looking nice'!

DH's Sister went to Pitville and her experience was not good, still at college, re-taking her A'levels when really should be about to start her second year of uni. In-laws were very upset about the whole thing (DH was a Pate's boy). I would stay in Balcarras catchment if I was your SIL, but then sometimes the move is a must for other reasons!

I am hoping that she may be able to come to the school I teach at (Thomas Keble) as it is generally considered the best Stroud comp. The other option is Stroud High (Grammar) but then she may not want to go there, who knows, it is 8 years away and got to get her into a primary first!

PatTheHammer Thu 07-May-09 17:23:30

Anyone else looking good for a wednesday afternoon?

I can do whatever day suits, although I may not be up in time for the first meet (assuming there'll be others!).

Must admit we chose Churchdown because of the schools and couldn't afford to live in a good catchment area in Cheltenham. A lady (random I know!) I spoke to in Pittville Park said that Pittville is a terrible school because all the people who live in that area in the big houses send their kids to private school (so she says) hmm

PatTheHammer Thu 07-May-09 18:08:21

oh, I love Pitville Park! Another great place for a meet-up, if it's sunny obviously! Think you are right about the big houses there, DH knew some pretty rich people at Pates but none from round there, they must of all gone to St Edwards or the College.

NB: DH not one of those, he came from Whaddon!

lankyalto Thu 07-May-09 18:09:25

I could do a Wednesday afternoon!
Wow all these Glawster folk. How many of ou re born and bred here like me. "Gloucester born and Gloucester bred, strong in the arm and thick in the head" or "Born and bred in Gloucester town and never been over Over bridge"??? Ring any bells wink?
Agree that Go Bananas could do with natural light. The soft play at Tenpin is really noisy though, and no natural light either.

LOL at all these clubbing stories. I only went to the Prom Club once, when I was about 30... it was like having a hundred people in your front room.

bubblerock Thu 07-May-09 18:23:51

Arghhh... bringing back far too many memories on this thread!! I snogged DH for the first time in Enigma/Dog & Duck 13 years ago! Used to go to Gas a lot too. grin

PatTheHammer Thu 07-May-09 18:30:17

LOL Lanky, when I first moved to Chelt I had been used to clubs in Brighton and Liverpool. After a few weeks I said to DH 'why are all these clubs in someones front room'?

I am not fussy on where to meet up, as long as they do a nice cuppa!

SazzlesA Thu 07-May-09 18:37:57

Not Gloucester born and bred here, although i seem to be following the same trail as Pat - Brighton to Cheltenham. Not sure who is the stalker though grin

Littlefish Thu 07-May-09 18:44:21

I met, had my first date, and first snogged my dh in the Montpellier wine bar - also 13 years ago!

Oooh, I'd forgotten that Enigma was also called the Dog and Duck.

I've taught at two of the schools mentioned on this thread wink

bubblerock Thu 07-May-09 18:50:56

Littlefish - you obviously went for a classier guy grin. I met DH when we both worked together in a well known Burger place - we had a fab social life back then and some great friends, those were the days. grin

herbietea Thu 07-May-09 18:58:55

pat I grew up in Stonehouse and went to Maidenhill. (No such thing as special measures in my day!)

My brother still lives there and my Niece goes to Maidenhill!

(Sorry for the hijack)

Littlefish Thu 07-May-09 18:59:58

Bubble - It wasn't Star Burger/Burger Star on the Old Bath Road was it <happy memories of pump- action tomato ketchup and garlic mayo>

Actually, I just went for a drunk guy grin

SazzlesA Thu 07-May-09 19:06:43

LOL at Burger Star - one of the ladies in the bed opposite me in the maternity wing in Cheltenham Hospital who was waiting to be induced for 3 days, went off there every night with her boyfriend for a treat grinhmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now