When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

what does 'we should meet up some time' really mean??!

(4 Posts)
Matah45 Sat 06-Aug-16 04:50:08

I've been living in the Uk for a long time but not orig from here..It puzzles me when people say to me 'we should really meet up some time' but never really action it.. What is the point of saying such thing then??!! In my country, if you don't fancy meeting up with someone then you don't even suggest it in the first place?! I used to fall for it and then feeling really upset when nothing happened. Or sometimes they would meet up with me once or twice and then disappear. Now, I just take the conclusion that people don't like me so became my own best friend. I find it pretty sad though how years ago I used to be a very social person and now I'm all by myself (apart from my kids and hubby who, although being english, also struggles to find himself any friends since we moved away from his birth county..?!?!). And i think we are funny and welcoming people..
I wish people were just honest with what they say and if they don't mean something then should not word it..

Trills Sat 06-Aug-16 17:48:37

It depends who is saying it.

It could mean "I would like to see you again"

That could of course be teamed with variable amount of busy-ness and organised-ness, so whether it actually happens is not certain.

It could however also mean "I want to say something nice but actually I don't care whether I see you again or not".

Whathaveilost Sat 06-Aug-16 18:11:28

If someone says that to me I usually say something like 'That would be nice, give me a call when you want to'. I then never give it another thought. If they do contact me it's great, if they don't nothing lost.

I think it's just a polite way of ending a conversation more than anything though

Scuttle22 Sat 06-Aug-16 18:20:13

Yes us Brits do use this phrase with gay abandon!

Sometimes I say it when I like someone but know we just won't have time to meet up if that makes sense?

Other times it's a good way of cutting a conversation with something positive even though you wouldn't actually care to meet up.

Other times it does actually mean I want to meet up.

It is usually a sign that people like you.
Hope that helps! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now