When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

2014 Durham/Teesside/Tyne & Wear Cake Fest

(476 Posts)
juneybean Sun 29-Dec-13 22:07:11

Thought I'd be premature and create this thread now.

Currently have this meet up planned:

13th Jan - Miss Tina's in Washington

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 18-Sep-14 20:29:20

Mine on Monday but I don't think we'll get organised by then grin .

November then?

My birthday in Nov. Just saying...

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 18-Sep-14 17:28:27

Well I have various things on in October to try to squeeze of duty round but November I'm back in uni. finish quite early in December too.

grin

I have bridesmaid duties coming up (including <gulp> a visit to a hairdresser). But apart from that and the dreaded football, I am free.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 17-Sep-14 21:33:10

grin

Ahem.

Someone mentioned curry? <hopeful look>

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 15-Sep-14 14:01:42

2nd Saturday, not the 2nd. Not getting off duty is an arse but sometimes it is worth sticking something int he diary and then sorting shifts around it.

I've mentioned groups. Not seen her really due to placement so shall have to see how things develop.

goldenretriever1978 Mon 15-Sep-14 13:55:19

Paleontologist, can't do 20th either, but will see about 2nd as am only getting my off duty a few days beforehand.

Did you manage a chat with CM?

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 15-Sep-14 09:57:46

Welcome to midwifery.

Take it all in, take it all on board and use it to inform your practice. You will start to notice that the midwives who really and honestly believe in women and in normal birth. The ones who spend time in the room with her, encouraging, rubbing her back, helping her to change position and so on have much, much lower c/s and lift out rates. Much lower. Those that only bob in and out to check the fetal heart every 15 mins and judge the outcome from the start or perhaps only pay lip service to normality have far higher rates of intervention. Sometimes you learn how you want to practice through seeing how you don't want to be.

I'm not slating the way anyone practices, I think it is hard to stay positive and true to normal birth in a hospital environment and culturally we are very much on an uphill battle. You probably find yourself that your mentor rubs off on you when you spend long shifts together. It is tough. September is always a really busy time too and it is inevitable that it becomes a conveyor belt of getting women through just to free up beds and get the next labouring woman in and staff morale drops with that.

I hope you get some normality soon. Did you see the FB event thing I invited you to? I can't make the 20th but the organiser will be doing another screening (probably at her house) for those of us that can't make it on the 2nd Saturday in October so I'll be going as will a doula who lives around here too so we will be going together if you want to come with us. Should be really good and a bit of positivity for you smile

goldenretriever1978 Mon 15-Sep-14 08:27:26

Paleontologist, I can't imagine you being stuck for words! Curses to the lure of Canada. Sounds a tad awkward.

Have been on delivery suite for two weeks and have managed to see a whopping one uncomplicated birth and even that was slightly questionable in the end sad

juneybean Wed 10-Sep-14 11:43:54

Stick au pair in a cupboard!

Do Re Mi is the new one isn't it, same industrial estate as Woodlands I think, does sound good though!

My bosses work from home a lot, it's more of an impetus to get me out of the house because I don't like working around parents!

Definitely have a wee chat though, whilst she's the contractor, you have to be happy with the service!

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 10-Sep-14 11:36:49

There is Busy Bears in Bear Park which we used for the others for their 15 hours and I've been hearing a lot of really good things about Do Re Mi in Meadowfield whcih has a big emphasis on outdoor play.

Can't get an aupair, I gather you have have a bedroom to put them in grin. Nanny is problematic really which the amount of working form home/sleeping after night shifts we both do. House isn't big enough to be able to shut yourself away and work and not be able to hear the kids though I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have gone down that road.

Will have to talk to her. There are groups on locally every day of the week.

juneybean Wed 10-Sep-14 11:19:50

Don't worry, I agree nursery girls are a special breed.

What about saying "there's X group in the village, do you think DS2 might like to go to that?" and see if she takes the hint?

Hmm tricky, are there any nurseries further out, I'm useless with Durham villages but Woodlands in Meadowfield is lovely (or was when I did some temp work there last year)

Would an au pair work? I mean even when you get to three kids I do think nannies can work out to be cheaper, you could get a holiday nanny (usually teaching students)

I'm already turning into the pied piper, what's another three grin

House is slow going, I've painted one room (the smallest not-even-a-room room) and mother is taking paper off other walls, but will need a plasterer I think gah!

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 10-Sep-14 10:48:42

Haha! How is the house coming along?

Golden how are you doing? You've started on delivery now haven't you?

Ok folks what would you do?

There have been some, erm, teething problems with the new childminder. She is sweet but a bit on the dim side I think. You know how a lot of girls who work in nurseries are? (no offence juney my dear, you are most definitely NOT included in that sweeping generalisation!). She put ds2 in a booster with the seatbelt. Ds2 being 2 years old and under 13 kg. She had a legal seat on the way but it had not yet arrived (on the way! Why on the way? She has known their start date for months and months!). So that wasn't a great start. That goodness ds1 told me as she didn't mention not having a seat at all. Claimed she thought it was ok hmm. Honestly if we had had other options I'd have pulled them all out but even though I am pretty sure I could have got ds2 into a nursery I would still ahve needed a CM to pick up the others form school and one other in the village is full and the other doesn't work past 5pm so that leaves us with the one we have.

Anyway. Ds2 now in proper seat.

Kids are happy, seem busy, lots of craft type stuff. But very nursery led ie all indoors. I assume nurseries she has worked at are typical ones with little outdoor space all age groups have to take a turn in so not much time outdoors. No evidence yet of going to groups.

Old childminder went to loads of groups and lots of walks. They would go play out on the field after school so big ones got exercise too. They would go for walks down the cycle paths and pick up pine cones and stuff. Ds2 and the other 2 year old she had like looking at poo and identifying the animal it came from grin. That is more what I want for my child sad

I'm concerned about the lack of physical activity and the lack of groups and social contact but I don't know how to go about broaching the subject. I don't want to be that parent. Especially when we've already had the carseat thing.

I wasn't going to bother sending ds2 to nursery as the CM offers the 15 hours funding but I wonder if I should now to have a couple of days of something else. I don't want to use the local preschool due to previous issues with it (telling us ds1 would have to wear a nappy when he had a medical problem and then we were unhappy with it when we tried dd there and we pulled her out) but I don't think she can do pick ups from anywhere else. I suppose we could do 2 full days in another nursery and pay the extra which wouldn't be all that much less than the CM costs. But then I don't know what we'd do in holidays.

Argh!

It is all a fricking mess.

Juney can I just sack her and have you come look after my kids?

juneybean Sun 07-Sep-14 14:10:31

Whoops forgot I wrote that, house is no where near ready so it'll likely be October instead!

goldenretriever1978 Sun 07-Sep-14 11:57:32

Sounds good Juney, but I will be at Alton Towers with the kids (worried look)...

juneybean Thu 28-Aug-14 21:25:01

Also hopefully having a macmillan coffee morning afternoon on Saturday 27th September 3pm ish as a housewarming if anyone is free, children very welcome!

juneybean Thu 28-Aug-14 17:51:59

I have a 4 year old on the 8th AM?

Is anyone interested in meeting with kids on Monday 8th? I have two 4yos who are onlin in school for the afternoon that day (stupid phasing in protocol).

Good news on house, Juney. Good luck tomorrow!

Dupain comgratulations grin
Juney so sorry - are you planning a next time?

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 24-Aug-14 07:51:08

Oh juney I'm so sorry x

great news on the house though.

On Juney, I'm so sorry sad What will you do now?

Good news on the house though, that's wonderful news!

juneybean Fri 22-Aug-14 12:17:45

Thanks all, on a more positive note, house should be completing on the 29th! Will soon after add a cat to the mix to help me settle in smile

Hope everyone is well?

goldenretriever1978 Sun 17-Aug-14 13:29:32

Sorry to hear that Juney.

Ah, sorry to hear that Juney.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now