When organising a Mumsnet meet up you should take the same basic precautions you would when meeting anyone from the internet - make sure you meet in a public place and that others know where you are going. You can also meet up with other mums on your Mumsnet Local page. Find your Local page here.

Anyone been diagnosed as dyslexic as an adult?

(4 Posts)
Wotnow Tue 27-Nov-12 18:31:37

I have a degree and further qualifications.
I have worked as a professional ( don't want to out myself) for 20yrs.
I have recently changed jobs from a very practical role to one where I need to do more academic type writing.
I'm starting to teach my profession in university...

A colleague suggested that I get screened for dyslexia as I am finding it hard to sequence my writing and it's just completely chaotic.

The screening test today said j have indications that I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic

I'm not sure what to do next
The ed psych appt is £400-500 and I'm not sure j want it looked into any further

Do any of you have experience of being diagnosed as an adult?

Snusmumriken Wed 28-Nov-12 13:12:57

I was diagnosed during my second year as a PhD student. It was a life changing experience.

It's expensive but wel worth it in my opinion.

Good luck!

Wotnow Wed 28-Nov-12 17:41:03

How did it change things for you?

Snusmumriken Thu 29-Nov-12 08:53:39

It helped me to resolve a lot of issues I have had with my confidence, and I was given a lot of support from the Disability services at my University.

Sorry for the short response. I will write more when I have a chance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now