When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

MN meet-up etiquette

(39 Posts)
BrainSurgeon Thu 06-Sep-12 15:13:18

AIBU to ask..... what's the etiquette at a MN meet-up?

I know how a work do goes, I get friends/family parties but meeting with other MN-tters.... I don't know what to say or do!?

(Not helped by the fact that I don't drink so feel quite threatened by the amounts of booze people seem to want to consume) wink

Any advice or previous experiences?

BrainSurgeon Thu 06-Sep-12 21:36:43

Anybody there???

Beamur Thu 06-Sep-12 21:39:41

Helloo. I've been to a couple arranged in Leeds by the lovely StealthPolarBear. We met at a pub (which was really weird trying to decide which people you might be meeting and I nearly chickened out and went home). Then had a meal, it might be a little stilted at first but you quickly find things you have in common and it's a nice way to meet people. There was wine, but no-one got really giddy.

BrainSurgeon Thu 06-Sep-12 21:39:55

I just worry that I'll turn up and spend the evening all by myself in a corner sad

BrainSurgeon Thu 06-Sep-12 21:40:54

Hi Beau smile that sounds encouraging!

Beamur Thu 06-Sep-12 21:42:02

The first time we met there was quite a big group and we swapped seats about half way through so new people sat and chatted together. I'd say go along and see how it goes.

BrainSurgeon Thu 06-Sep-12 21:42:13

How many people were there? <nosy>

Beamur Thu 06-Sep-12 21:47:20

Ah, can't remember exactly - about 14/16, maybe slightly more? We met last month too, but with holidays and last minute cancellations were down to a much cosier 6.

BrainSurgeon Thu 06-Sep-12 21:56:22

Ta
I suppose I worry a bit about what's OK to discuss and what not?

Sometimes I feel like I know and/or like very much a poster on here but what if we don't 'click' when we meet or I put my foot into something and upset them <insecure>

Brainsurgeon (are you one really??) <impressed>

Is it the London one you are talking about? I'm planning on going but it will be my first one too. I'm a bit nervous too.

BrainSurgeon Thu 06-Sep-12 22:01:38

Hi Trumps, no not really a surgeon sorry to disappoint...
Yeah that's the one, can you tell I'm shitting myself nervous too?

Brains, we can hold hands for moral support!

and I drink enough for both of us

grin

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Fri 07-Sep-12 12:32:31

I have been to one - I was actually very nervous indeed. Doesn't help the fact that I turned up with a Victoria Beckham mask on. grin

It is very strange seeing all these people who you have spoken to but never seen before.

Everyone I met though was uniformly lovely, and I really enjoyed it.

Not everyone gets plastered - I am only having a few drinks (normally teetotal because of health reasons but am treating myself to a few drinks on the night).

GetOrf I am particularly looking forward to meeting you! not a stalker I promise

Right now I am more excited than nervous, but I'm sure that will change as we get closer. I still haven't worked out what to tell DH.

I would be far too nervous to go on a meet up. If I was young and glamorous then maybe, but I am old and Tongan so no way.

Shodan Fri 07-Sep-12 16:39:16

Second what GetOrf said- I've been to two and everyone is lovely, very friendly and welcoming. They even don't seem to mind if you have a drop too much and barge in willy-nilly on conversations! (not that I did that at all. Oh no.)

Seriously. It'll be fine and your face will hurt the next day from talking and laughing so much.

BrainSurgeon Fri 07-Sep-12 19:29:21

Ooooooh Getorf that sounds like a good idea, a mask! grin
But but but my question is are you allowed to ask things like "where do you live" and such? blush

BrainSurgeon Fri 07-Sep-12 19:30:31

I am looking forward to meeting everyone. It's like an early Christmas for me smile

BrainSurgeon Fri 07-Sep-12 19:32:16

I told DP I'm going and he said "are you sure?" hmm
Of course I'm sure! now but may chicken out on the day

Tee2072 Fri 07-Sep-12 20:42:29

You can ask whatever you like. Just don't be surprised if people don't answer!

It's just like any other meeting, really. A bunch of people chatting, eating and drinking.

You'll be fine. Really!

BrainSurgeon Fri 07-Sep-12 20:49:51

Oh Tee you got me worried now...

Tee2072 Fri 07-Sep-12 20:51:01

Why?

BrainSurgeon Fri 07-Sep-12 20:52:31

I'm worried I'll be out of order blush I'm very nosy...

Tee2072 Fri 07-Sep-12 20:53:39

Really, don't worry about it. Just be yourself.

BrainSurgeon Mon 10-Sep-12 15:58:59

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now