When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Durham / Teeside / Tyne & Wear Meet up and random chat thread.

(895 Posts)
KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 29-Aug-12 21:44:36

Next meet up, Tuesday 4th September.
During the day, either Botanic Gardens in Durham or the Slug and Fiddle near the Gala Theatre in Durham City centre.

Now for some random chat.
DS sang a song about bolognaise today. And DD walked some more. But still prefers crawling and using my nipples as handholds on Mount Starbuck.

CremeEggThief Mon 11-Mar-13 11:37:33

Sounds like progress to me, Indith. Well done smile.

Indith Mon 11-Mar-13 11:44:28

It just feels a little less like progress when I'm freezing cold downstairs at 4am leaking milk and arguing with dh blush. With him still being in our room if we need to leave him to yell for a bit then we both have to go downstairs!Can't wait to move him out and in with ds1.

Doesn't help I'm feeling a little touchy at teh moment anyway fomr lots and lots of little comments from various relatives about what I am going to do about XYZ when I start uni. Honestly you'd have thought no woman has ever done anything other than be a SAHM because it must be impossible.

OoohTrifle Mon 11-Mar-13 13:04:27

Indith, I think you need to give yourself a BIG PAT ON THE BACK for getting to the 5th day with matchsticks holding your eyelids open and your sanity intact.

We still get comments about me working away in the week and I've been doing it for a year and a half before DS2 came along and starting again now. In our house, there is lots of eye rolling and under your breath swearing at idiotic well meaning relatives points of view.

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 11-Mar-13 13:35:12

Ignore them all!!! It's tough but you just have to do what you feel is right.
And sometimes it might just be a case of it'll all work itself out in the end.

Indith Mon 11-Mar-13 14:01:09

It is the "but what will you do about breast feeding?" with the insinuation that I'll have to stop. Erm, he is a year old it isn't his only source of food. He will do what his brother did when he went to childcare age 9 months. Feed morning and night and at weekends and eat food and drink water when I'm not there. Millions of women manage this feat all the time hmm. And the conversations where the undertone is that I am putting the burden on dh because he is more likely than me to be the one dropping off and picking up and taking half days to take ds1 to his eye clinic appointments. He has flexible hours, I won't. It seems to be a very strange convcept that they are our children not mine and we share things and work as a team. When it makes sense for him to do it he will, when it makes sense for me to I will. FFS I know it is going to be hard going, the strain will be huge, the financial strain massive. I feel bad enough putting the family through it when it is something I want to do.

Triffle that must get so annouing. Men can work away and nobody says a word yet a woman leaving her husband to manage to feed the children and put them to bed all by himself in teh week? Tongues wag, man is hailed as a long suffering hero.

CremeEggThief Mon 11-Mar-13 14:12:22

Hmmm... We're still a long way from equality, aren't we?

Keep going Indith, at least you know that it's not that he's hungry or thirsty as he'd just fuss if you did let him have boob so all you are doing is helping him find another source of comfort. One thing we've found helpful is for the person doing the comforting to lie next to the cot patting and shushing while listening to music on headphones as it makes the crying a little easier to bear. It helps even more if the person not comforting wears earplugs so they don't get tempted to go and interfere with the process. dh got really annoyed when I did that Did that with Ds1 when he was at the height of non sleeping. DHs are the best at settling as well. I figure as I did all the night wakes when they were needing boobie then the least he could do was take a starring role in the night weaning process. Besides it is much easier to do to work on disturbed sleep than it is to stay at home with kids (as long as you don't have to drive masses or do heart surgery or something)

But something for you to look forward to- ds 2 doesn't require boob at all now. So although I'm still feeding him I don't HAVE to be there for a particular feed. I feel so liberatedgrin he still wakes up at night but will now accept me patting him backto sleep about 60%of the time.

Tell your relatives that I went back when each of mine were 6 months and managed to keep feeding. In fact m was 5.5 months and didn't move to solids till 7.5. Babies remarkably adaptable creaturesgrin shame some adults can't respond to changing circumstance as easily.

Ooh and Viking, happy belated birthday to v. I thought it was todayblush

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 11-Mar-13 17:45:03

Oh crikey, I forgot to!! Happy birthday Viking's DD!!!

I think I am going to have to bow out of Newcastle shopping sad
Penny watching, plus we really need to crack on with sorting the garden out.

VikingLady Mon 11-Mar-13 17:48:36

Thank you! I realise with some embarrassment that I have no idea about any of yours... blush

Indith Mon 11-Mar-13 17:56:10

Happy birthday V!

Don't worry Viking, I never have a clue about anyone's birthdays! Although my excuse for V's can be that I was a little busy with a tiny baby to notice the date grin.

Thanks for he encouragement. Dh is doing most of the night stuff at teh minute, he really is a lot better at it than I am. Just hope it works soon!

TBF I have difficulty remembering my own children's birthdays. grin and I have to think very hard about their ages.blush

VikingLady Tue 12-Mar-13 09:16:56

Indith Yes, you are indirectly the reason I accidentally ended up with 4 TENS machines! I knew you had Spiggy's and I panicked (last minute jitters) that you would be massively overdue and I wouldn't be able to borrow it in time, so I put bids on four on ebay, thinking I might possibly get one if I was lucky. I got all of them!

So happy birthday to A for when it was (a couple of weeks ago?)

Indith Tue 12-Mar-13 09:38:26

grin Except I didn't have Spiggy's. I hope I didn't anyway as I don't know where it is if I did! I have 2 dresses for upcoming weddings by doing the same thing. Ooops.

Last night started out like the one before. Shouting in the evening for an hour or so, relatively easy resettle at 12/1 ish then crying and complaining at 4am. Except at 4am he was also coughing, snotting and croaky <<sigh>>. Currently have coughing snotiing, croaky dd on sofa watching beebies and coughing, snotting croaky baby with amazing red cheeks and nose on my knee. Dd says her throat is sore and it feels like there is something stuck tight in her ear hmm. I have a headache, inflamed sinuses and snot but I get the feeling I'm not going to be allowed to indulge myself......I'm hoping dd's ear is just that it needs to pop with having a cold rather than an infection.

Oh God, that's another birthday I forgot aboutblush . You'd think it would be easier to remember these things when they all happened within a couple of weeks of each other.

I feel ill and pathetic too. I had a fever last night and today I can barely stand. This was of course the day I had to meet my mother. Even she thought I looked ill and that never happens. shock

VikingLady Tue 12-Mar-13 17:07:05

Poor Spiggy <passes cooling glass of gin>

We're snot central again today. Well, we had almost a week without a cold so I suppose I should be grateful for that. It takes our total number of snot-free days since October into double figures! Am starting to wonder if DD has some sort of allergy/intolerance.

I feel too ill even for gin. It must be bad grin . Dh came home early so I've had a bath and am now tucked up in bed. I feel pathetic but everything hurts. <wails>

Indith I hope you managed to grab some rest today.

Indith Tue 12-Mar-13 17:21:24

Viking I think there are just a whole load of horrible colds around this year. The registrar who saw ds2 in hospital the other day said normally with little ones rattly chests etc due to colds go in 3 or 4 days but that this year there are some horrible ones around that last for 40 days shock. I think ds2 has had most of them.

If you suspect an allergy then the most common suspect for things like that is dairy food wise. Takes about 4-6 weeks for dairy to completely leave the system if you try going without. Other common allergens like house dust mites of cats tend to come with more itching of eyes and stuff rather than just snot.

Indith Tue 12-Mar-13 17:28:17

Oooh Spiggy a bath and bed sounds lovely.

I have sort of had rest. Ds2 has slept all day and yelled if put down anywhere, for any reason. So I have been pinned to the sofa while dd got increasingly annoyed and bored. Sadly dh buggared off with the car so I have also walked 5 miles dragging dd and carrying ds2. Still, dh has the car so he will probabyl be home before 9 rather than 10 ish so that's something. Then I can catch up on Call the Midwife and eat chocolate.

Got to say, I'm doing the YouView product test. YouView is bloody brilliant. Probabyl not £300 brilliant or whatever they charge for boxes but fabulous all the same. It is my new best friend.

Anyone know what happened to a thread about Clarks shoes in Chat? Op posted saing they had had a bad fitting. Another poster posted saying they had had a bad fitting. I was next and said Clarks are shit which has been said many, many times before on here so I don't think it was me who was norty. Went on school run, came back and it had gone poof! Now I'm trying to work out what could have gone wrong on a Clarks thread! Generally everyone says "yes they are shit", a few people swap info on good independent places, usually in expensive locations in the home counties and everyone shakes hands.

Saw the clarks thread just after you put your comment on but no idea why it went.

CremeEggThief Tue 12-Mar-13 17:57:25

thanks for all you poorly folks. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Indith Tue 12-Mar-13 20:52:03

dh says he is now rowing Sunday so I can go shopping any time I want on Sat, don't have to wait til 12.

VikingLady Tue 12-Mar-13 21:43:26

Indith Her eczema started at the same time - weaning age. Sigh. I expect it is paranoia.

Spiggy how about whisky? grin I hope you feel better soon.

I saw the Clarks thread - am very curious! Maybe Clarks have had enough of all the honesty negative publicity and are throwing lawyers around!

Just let me know what time you want to meet Indith. I'm only 20 mins away so prob best if we fit round you.

I'm in bed with a hot water bottle, supply of painkillers and phone. I don't intend to move unless I need the loo or food. Being a working mother may be hectic but it does have the benefit of being able to take a sick day and do it properly ie without children clambering all over you grin

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Wed 13-Mar-13 09:29:00

Hi ladies, can I join? (The thread that is, not the meet-up) I'm from Durham and have a 5-month-old dd, and have been lurking a bit but didn't post before as you all seem to know each other very well! It's a bit like breaking into a group of people at a party, but I'm feeling brave today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now