When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Durham / Teeside / Tyne & Wear Meet up and random chat thread.

(895 Posts)
KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 29-Aug-12 21:44:36

Next meet up, Tuesday 4th September.
During the day, either Botanic Gardens in Durham or the Slug and Fiddle near the Gala Theatre in Durham City centre.

Now for some random chat.
DS sang a song about bolognaise today. And DD walked some more. But still prefers crawling and using my nipples as handholds on Mount Starbuck.

goldenretriever Fri 01-Feb-13 09:36:02

Apologies, rant time. Had a pants start to the week and it has gone downhill from there! I was being dropped off at work on Monday and we were turning right into the site. A car on the other side of the road was also waiting to turn right into the site. A huge bastard bus smashed into the other car, shunting it into our path, which after swerving missed us by about a foot. I had to ring 999 and my oh had to see if the woman was ok. But selfishly I was thinking about what could have happened if it had been us, as my 2yo was in her car seat in the place where the other car got smashed up. The woman was ok, but in shock and the person driving the empty bus was in bloody overalls… but as David and I both had had diarrhoea that morning (from, I suspect a dodgy Chinese – meal, not person, on Saturday night) it could have turned out even worse! All fun and games… Can’t I even get into bloody work before having a trauma for the love of all things holy!

And relax... Hope cake was nice x

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 01-Feb-13 09:39:13

Indith is the real expert on slings and carriers, I tend more to the soft structured carriers.
I agree your best bet is the sling library, Rachel has a pretty extensive selection of SSCs.
Unlike baby bjorn types, SSCs do hold their value. I have owned 2 Connectas and sold both for not much less that I paid for them as they are much better carriers than BB types, far more comfy for baby and parent.
I now have a Boba 3G (which I shall be getting back from my friend shortly) and a custom SSC and I regularly carry my 21lb 19mo in them easily.
The Connectas didn't feel as comfy once DD reached about 16lbs but I think Connecta themselves have realised that as they now do a toddler carrier.

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 01-Feb-13 09:41:03

X-posted with Golden, shock OMG, glad you are both okay! That sounded really scary!!
Definitely, cuppa tea and cake very much required.

Indith Fri 01-Feb-13 09:49:02

Oh my goodness golden! glad everyone is OK.

VikingLady Fri 01-Feb-13 09:59:13

shock Golden!

VikingLady Fri 01-Feb-13 09:59:47

And I'm not that nice, honestly. Just very very stubborn.....

CremeEggThief Fri 01-Feb-13 13:02:25

Glad you're ok, Golden. Must have been an awful shock. Xxx

shock golden. What a scare, hope you feeling a bit less shaky now.

Viking I did grin at your description of yourself.

greenflowers Sat 02-Feb-13 13:58:24

Thanks so much indith and kara that is really helpful info! I had no idea such a library existed blush I will defo go to one of their sessions and try some out - what a good idea!

golden that sounds terrible! Hope you are all recovering from the shock now.

ishchel Mon 04-Feb-13 12:29:48

Ugh. I came on here to whinge about my last week but reading about nearly being flattened by a bus puts mine on the backseat.

But here goes: I have had the flu since at least last Tuesday. I am only just starting to feel better today. I have had a crap weekend of snotty nose painful head and wishing I had no kids and no husband. I also feel like I need to go into work tomorrow too even though I won't be 100% grr.

shock golden,glad the woman was OK and you weren't involved. I headr about that crash on the traffic reports.
ishchel, sorry you have been ill sad

Indith Mon 04-Feb-13 13:34:29

ishchel you poor thing, I really hope you are feeling better soon.

Dd has managed a morning at nursery, woohoo! She is now slumped on the sofa watching the Snowman and the Snow Dog for the millionth time, I think she may nap after this.

goldenretriever Tue 05-Feb-13 09:40:05

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts. Have another horrifying tale for this week, I'm afraid. My OH bought a rabbit years ago and kindly decided to let his Mum look after it - both children are fond of it. Said rabbit 'passed away' yesterday morning and everyone was unsure of what to do with it's body. It was left up to him. I suggested (randomly) burying it in a local forest area, away from everything. I later got a text to say 'Went to woodland area. Put rabbit in a dog waste bin. It seemed like the best thing to do.' HOW was this possibly the best thing to do, for it's last resting place to be surrounded by dog poo!!! Talk about on a different wavelength. And relax. Hope all well.

Indith Tue 05-Feb-13 10:33:55

oh golden that made me laugh, sorry! reminds me of all the goldfish my dad flushed as we looked on horrified!

CremeEggThief Tue 05-Feb-13 12:45:17

Oh dear, Golden. Surely a good example of "Men are from Mars...", eh? Poor Bunny!

Indith, glad your DD enjoyed her morning at Nursery.

Sorry, I did grin at the bunny in the bin. I would have made dh go back and retrieve it so it could have a proper burial though. remembers making dh dig for hours in clay soil to make a grave for the cat

twiddles thumbs

thinks she really musn't complain about being bored

(Poor bunny. All that pretty woddland to return-to-dust in, and ends up in a bin!)

Indith Wed 06-Feb-13 09:25:06

You not had that baby yet Leggy?

<<runs and hides>>

KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 06-Feb-13 11:04:33

Apologies, Leggy, have been very rude!
I have managed to fit the gate fine, it does move a bit at the bottom but it is very firm at the top. Thank you again.

When's the due date leggy? Once you go past that we need daily updates.grin

Kara - good news, I'd forgotten to enquire!

Spiggy - Am 40+3, will get a sweep at AN appt tomorrow. Until today I was basically in denial but I think I'm finally mentally ready and won't be taken by surprise if anything happens hereafter! Just need the bloody snow to stay away...

we are officially on baby countdown then grin .Just remember 2nd babies come quicker and that little niggles can actually be labour. Don't want you to be caught by surprise like I was

Indith Wed 06-Feb-13 16:07:32

Least she is a planned homebirth though spiggy!

My second was a whole half hour longer thanmy first.

Not hard, eh, Indith... ;-)

Indith Wed 06-Feb-13 19:26:59

All my labours have been long compared to Spiggy's second! 5 hours for dd from first niggle to baby. Not sure how people manage longer ones! Flipping heck I'll be a terrible MW "come on love you've been in labour 6 hours now, where's the baby?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now