When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Durham / Teeside / Tyne & Wear Meet up and random chat thread.

(895 Posts)
KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 29-Aug-12 21:44:36

Next meet up, Tuesday 4th September.
During the day, either Botanic Gardens in Durham or the Slug and Fiddle near the Gala Theatre in Durham City centre.

Now for some random chat.
DS sang a song about bolognaise today. And DD walked some more. But still prefers crawling and using my nipples as handholds on Mount Starbuck.

VikingLady Fri 18-Jan-13 16:31:18

We've got someone coming to service the burglar alarm, so a thrilling alternative to cake sad

Will have to make my own cake. Not happy.

<waves to newbies>

I had a better day at work today. Problem that I had on wed is in the process of being fixed and I got a chance to rant register my displeasure with someone who can actually do something about stopping it happening again.

Shall we start taking bets on when leggy's baby will arrive? I'm going for the 4th as I'll be in London and I'll have to sneak my mobile into the meeting...

Indith Sat 19-Jan-13 08:50:27

Glad you had a better day.

Loads of snow. Snow on main road, it is still snowing. Guess where dh has gone?

Spend time with the children? Nope. Go building snowmen and go sleding having missed out on that all week? Oh no, got to go to the rowing club you know, the others in his boat will be expecting him. Ha! I bet half of them are still at home and not bothering ot go in due to the snow. Fucking rowing club full of lycra clad idiots. Bloody dh with his flipping sense of duty.

Big ones playing upstairs. Small one crawling around looking for trouble but I have him penned into the room by the stair gate.

What's his plan for when you start uni? Because I'm guessing that you are going to need him to be around a bit more at weekends and evenings? Or is he doing that pretending its not actually happening thing like my dh would

We had a fab time in the snow last night, got in about 8:30 after much sledging and snowballing. Knew the kids were good for something- I get to play in the snow and pretend I'm doing it for themgrin

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 19-Jan-13 13:14:15

Indith, that is a bit rubbish sad

Indith Sat 19-Jan-13 19:39:48

Well he is mostly forgiven since he spent the morning clearing snow at the club so everyone else could get in (juniors etc). Then we spent the afternoon sledging with friends.

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 20-Jan-13 10:55:38

That's good!
I am still on for cake tomorrow if everyone else is?

Indith Sun 20-Jan-13 11:00:26

good job you said tomorrow! I had tuesday in my head. Yay for cake with just the baby instead of the 4 year old! Though the baby is rather good at stealing my food.....

Roads are fine really so I should make it, unless it snows heavily again in which case I won't, not because I can't drive on it but because the centre of Durham gets gridlocked at the first sign of snow and I can't be arsed to deal with that. As things stand though I shall still be taking the girl to nursery and coming in.

CremeEggThief Sun 20-Jan-13 11:49:58

Still hoping to see you all tomorrow. I don't drive, but providing the buses are running, I should be fine.

Just found out I'm an auntie for the first time! My sister had a little girl in the early hours. grin.

envy enjoy your cake.

I did wonder if I could sneak out at 10 and hop on the train to Durham. Sure no-one would miss me...

X-post creme egg. Congratulations on becoming an auntie. Definitely calls for cake grin

CremeEggThief Sun 20-Jan-13 12:31:28

Thanks squiffy smile.

Indith Sun 20-Jan-13 13:10:40

how lovely smile

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 20-Jan-13 13:19:45

Congrats Aunty Creamegg!

Worried as weather forecast is for heavy snow tonight, last through until late tomorrow morning!

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 20-Jan-13 15:11:16

There is talk of closing schools here, Nunthorpe Academy has already announced it won't be opening tomorrow.
Is Tuesday doable for everyone? As I think that might be a better day, weatherwise?

Indith Sun 20-Jan-13 16:45:52

Hmmm considering the weather forecast it may be best to postpone, don't want to end up with one poor person sat on their own because nobody else shows! If the weather is indeed bad then I'll prob want to stick closer to home in case school shuts. That said of course if there is more than one person who is Durham City and will go whatever the weather then keep it on and the rest of us can go if we can.

According to the Met Office it is heavy snow Monday and then still snowing on Tuesday so I don't think we stand any more chance on Tuesday then we do tomorrow really. It just all depends on the main roads, we've not had any trouble getting anywhere this weekend.

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 20-Jan-13 17:55:21

Yeah, I've just looked at the weather forecast again. Only days I can do this week is Wednesday and Friday.
I agree let's postpone it and then see how the week pans out. Leggy, you might have to keep your legs crossed until next week grin

CremeEggThief Sun 20-Jan-13 19:31:51

Thanks everyone smile.

Agree it's probably for the best to postpone. The whole week isn't looking great sad.

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 21-Jan-13 06:24:37

Where's the snow? If I am forced to cancel cake I want to at least have some bloody snow.angry

Boo! Good job I checked FB before heading out on the nursery run this am!

Gilesgate is just getting an additional dusting today, but J said it was quiet slippy while he was cleaning the cars.

Been having regular phone calls from midwives letting me know they can't come out pretty much every night. Good job babies are never early in my family!

CremeEggThief Mon 21-Jan-13 08:49:06

Just had a text from our school saying they're shut. At 8.40, when we're already on a bus, trying to get there in blizzard conditions! angry

Indith Mon 21-Jan-13 10:29:23

How annoying creamegg.

Leggy if they can't get to you how are you supposed to get to hospital?[innocent]

Battled the horizontal snow to take ds1 to school. I bet they close early.

It is crazy out there. Proper mental crazy deep snow. I think it is even worse than those harsh winters a couple of years ago, that built up over time bit by bit, this has just dumped on us.

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 21-Jan-13 10:44:58

It's been snowing here continuously since about 8am.
I took DD in the buggy and it was quite hard going as there was thick slush and ice on the pavements, I nearly tipped it a couple of times! But it is not yet deep.

Indith Mon 21-Jan-13 11:06:01

Been going since around 11pm/midnight here with no let up. You definitely wouldn't get a buggy through it! Sling all the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now