When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Meet in the middle at the schultuete shop!

(962 Posts)
PiratesKnittingTreasure Mon 20-Aug-12 20:13:31

Here we are smile.

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Tue 29-Jan-13 19:32:45

Washing machine kaput and squelchy sounds from under the flooring <weeps>

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Tue 29-Jan-13 21:35:23

Now I've calmed down slightly I have turned my attention to washing machine shopping. Thanks to fuckwit kitchen fitters I can only buy a machine that's 595mm wide. So far, I've only found two brands - Miele and hotpoint. Hotpoint won't last as long, but we could afford to replace our washer/dryer with another one. A Miele washer dryer is way out of budget, but a washing machine alone is still out of budget but just about doable. WWYD?

DomesticCEO Tue 29-Jan-13 22:13:02

LG, that is very annoying - although I'd be more annoyed by dh than the builders grin! Luckily dh not really interested in stuff like so I get to make most of the decisions which suits me grin.

KC, gah about the washing machine angry. How much would you miss a dryer? Miele are an excellent brand but if not having a dryer would be a logistical nightmare I would go for the Hotpoint.

Dh back on Saturday - missing him lots now sad.

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Tue 29-Jan-13 22:18:14

I hope Saturday come quickly CEO!

I think we'll go for the Miele. We can get it within a few days (but will need to look at the kitchen floor damage properly first no point getting the washing machine in if the floor needs to come up). I'd miss a dryer, but tbh, we don't use it that much. My mum always talked about them being very expensive to run when I was growing up and it's stayed with me!!!! grin. I'll miss fluffy towels though...

Gigondas Wed 30-Jan-13 07:44:33

I never had a dryer before lived with dh or growing up and we coped. You could also get one of those heated hangers from Lakeland that the housekeeping lot on here rave about.

The chair tip is a good one and will definitely be asking occupational health advice on both leg and my sore shoulder (have always had on/off issues with sore neck and shoulder but it is now sore and annoying and seems to be slower to respond to physio than my leg).

Lag- between builders and dh I would be driven mad too. That is dh department as I just don't care enough have attention to detail on that sort of stuff. And didn't mean not to comment on glasses as that is worrying- like you I only got them much later at 14 (and I also am not fussed about contact lens).

CEO- glad boys are ok but sorry you are missing dh- I am not looking forward to next week as dh off skiing and it is only 3 nights. smile About new phone- mini gig keeps running off with mine so can play with that and new toy one you got her (which she loves ).

LaGuerta Wed 30-Jan-13 13:10:58

We have got a Miele dishwasher which is very much better than its Seimen's predecessor. We went for the bottom of the range Meile which like you was just about affordable. We also bought it off eBay, new but with damaged packaging which saved a bit more. Sadly we have just sold it on eBay as the new kitchen requires an integrated dw, or more accurately, we decided non integrated would look a bit rubbish in this style of kitchen. We have ordered a neff one as the Meile integrated ones were too pricey. Time will tell whether we regret our vanity driven decision. Happy to lend you my Which login if that would help.

LaGuerta Wed 30-Jan-13 13:20:17

And... Thanks for the sympathies with the glasses. I am a bit sad but for now DS is excited about them. He chose the frames yesterday and for some unknown reason opted for the thick brown plastic frames hmm. However the optician was keen to point out that should we "break" them then we should come back and he can get another pair courtesy of the NHS. It's a good money spinner for him. In fact I could write a whole post about the village opticians. It was a cross between the "Four candles" sketch and "The Fast Show". The optician himself wore a three piece suit with a gold chain and fob watch. I think I mean the fast show, it might be something else - the one with all the weird villagers.

The sun is shining today and I am feeling less grumpy. smile

Gig - still wobbly with work today?

disguisedeb Sat 02-Feb-13 10:15:36

Just swanning in (saw Russian ballet do swan lake last night!)here to announce that the dreaded day came on Thursday - OFSTED. It is not official(for another couple of weeks so no FB announcements) so please don't tell any or our nutcase parents who may object to the report, but we are an outstanding school and I also got outstanding for my teaching. Still can't quite believe it. Celebrated on Thursday night with chinese and champagne. Last night was the theatre. Tomorrow we are going to look at a house that's come on the market in the village which could be the one for us. ..........Maybe?

LaGuerta Sat 02-Feb-13 16:55:19

Wow Deb. You deserve to feel very proud of yourself. thanks

Link to the house possible at all? Fingers crossed that this is the one.

Nice day here with a little trip to look at some floors for the kitchen followed by a pub lunch. Just got into the garden and pruned the apple trees (inexpertly) before I froze.

Building works are coming on nicely. Ready for the plasterers on Monday.

disguisedeb Sat 02-Feb-13 17:45:57

Thanks for the flowers !!

These houses were for sale together , but collectively were up for 600,000. Now they've decided to split into 2 lots this one but I think we prefer the barn Possibility with either to buy 2 fields as well. With barn we'd also have to use holiday cottage as accommodation for us, but then there's the option to recreate it as cottage when hopefully the boys leave!!

Gigondas Sun 03-Feb-13 07:20:23

Well done deb grin

Both houses look good but barn seems better- more spacious somehow.

Glad building coming along- we had roof fixed as was leaking and now need some decoration as leaked into bedroom.

Not very coherent this morning as mini gig was up at 3.45...

disguisedeb Sun 03-Feb-13 12:13:40

Thanks Gig

If you look at map of area and zoom in on satellite you can see a strip of land behind barn which ends in a pond - that's why we're keener on that one (at moment) Going to see them at 1, will report back.

Gigondas Sun 03-Feb-13 14:54:05

How was it deb?

disguisedeb Sun 03-Feb-13 20:11:04

Hi Gig
Old house - too much to do, too expensive to heat and funny layout
Converted barn - nice because newly converted so all new, cheaper running costs, lovely features like old beams, arrow slit window with view into a birds' nest smile lovely bathroom, great view from some windows, great garden, and then the land as well. Negatives, shared courtyard parking, v small entrance and utility, for it to work for us we'd have to knock through to holiday cottage. There is an old door there which has been filled in but there is a covenant which states that it is only for holiday cottage use. Don't know how easy this would be to change. Holiday cottage was converted first and then the barn.Holiday cottage bedroom v pretty, great view and far away from boys grin Going to show photos to boys, see what they think. Compromise with this one is less space inside but loads more space outside.

LaGuerta Tue 05-Feb-13 14:04:10

Thanks for the links Deb. I'm such a nosey parker! How tantalising that the barn is almost right except for the holiday cottage limitations. What happened to the plan to buy your current rental?

Plasterers are in at the moment, making an almighty mess, but it is taking shape. The units are due to arrive at the distribution depot next Tuesday. I am almost excited!

I have a small quandary about a "friend" in the village. She is lovely, hospitable, been friendly to me since we arrived, BUT she holds certain views that I really disagree with. Today's example being about a child in our DS's class who my DS has said is his new friend. Her response, "Oh, I would do your best to discourage that friendship." I ask why, "Because of her family." To be blunt, this child's family look "poor", and my friend seems to think this is grounds to avoid them. I know nothing about them, except that Mum volunteers at the Playgroup. I am quite shock and angry that she is so judgemental and thinks that I would be ok with her saying this. Of course I just laughed, as I didn't think I could hoik up my judgey pants to her face. This probably makes me a coward. blush

This is the first place that I have ever lived where I feel left of centre. wink I'm sure that some of my lovely MN friends here can set me straight on this one though. wink

How is everyone else? Nice to have your DH back CEO?

DomesticCEO Tue 05-Feb-13 20:59:03

Woo hoo Deb!! Way to go on the Outstanding grin - you star! smile.

That barn is gorgeous - wow!

Can't wait to see the kitchen LG - hope you're still taking pics grin!

V tricky about your new friend - a tricky one. I would maybe lightly suggest that you don't think there's anything wrong with her family and leave it at that. I have friends who are anti-gay marriage, who are religious and shock even friends who are Tories!!! grin wink

Yes, it is lovely to have dh back smile.

Oh and we've finally found out what's wrong with my dad! He has a very rare chest infection - which is going to be treated with 3 different types of ABs over TWO years shock. His cons said "we're going to be seeing a lot of each other" as he will need to be closely monitored. Such a relief to finally know what it is though, and to have some treatment options. Mum and dad both sounded so much happier today.

How's the sleep going Gig?

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Wed 06-Feb-13 22:13:43

<tries to think about any Tory friends...> wink

It's tricky LaG. I was faced with some homophobia today, which in any form, makes me feel quite sick. But without going into too many details, it was difficult for me to unleash my fury! In your situation, I probably would keep her as a fairly arms length acquaintance, but then, I don't live in a small community so that would be easier for me to do.

The barn looks fab Deb.

I have my new Miele washing machine and it's ace grin. However, at some point I do need to get a new kitchen floor. As all of you have bought/looked at buying several properties since I've known you, any tips on kitchen floor purchases? What's nice and what's naff? And what's not expensive...? I've never had to put down a kitchen floor before, and I know if I research properly I'll be tempted by something expensive grin. Trying to get the balance between something that's nice enough come house selling time in a year or so and something that won't break the currently non existent budget.

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Wed 06-Feb-13 22:15:07

And great news about your dad CEO! grin

DTisMYdoctor Fri 08-Feb-13 12:29:50

Name change inspired by some recent Dr Who box set watching... (tis me, from North of the border).

How is everyone?

disguisedeb Fri 08-Feb-13 16:34:42

put in an offer...waiting for phone to ring

DomesticCEO Sun 10-Feb-13 09:31:57

Kitchen floors - I personally don't like tiles as I think they're very very cold and anything you drop on them will break. I would go for a lino - they've improved immeasurably in the last few years, and you can actually get some really nice linos. Much easier to clean too!

Deb, how exciting grin!

LaGuerta Tue 12-Feb-13 20:29:21

Any news Deb?

For the new kitchen floor we are looking at luxury vinyl tiles. Amtico and Karndean are the known and expensive brand names but we are currently considering something called mflor which is cheaper but hopefully just as good.

Thanks for your thoughts on the friend dilemma last week. I agree polite/friendly distance is the key, although our paths cross a lot as both DSs are in the same class, go to the same club etc, and she is v hospitable to me. Following that I managed to get into an argument with her 4yo after school one day as he was being quite belligerent about something trivial. He is not a very nice little boy IMO blush: rude and physically aggressive including smacking me once or twice recently shock . I think "avoid, avoid avoid" needs to be my new motto!

I have just put DS2 in a toddler bed for the first time. Why? Because I booked a ski holiday this morning, and to get the best price I had to go for rooms that only had twin beds. DH is pleased as he thought we should have done it after DS1 vacated it in January. DS1 is pleased as he sees this as a step towards the day they get bunk beds. DS2 is thrilled, very excited and currently still awake grin

DTisMYdoctor Wed 13-Feb-13 14:50:31

Thanks for flooring suggestions. Mflor looks good LaG. I'm just finding it a bit difficult to get excited about it - if we were re-doing the kitchen I'd be poring over samples etc, but I don't really like the kitchen so it's hard to get excited about finding something that fits with it. What we have, though I wouldn't necessarily choose it, seems reasonably good quality but I'm not quite sure what it is. It kind of looks like tiles (but isn't), it comes in strips about 4 tiles long I think (they've done a really good job putting it down so it's hard to tell). I'm starting to live with the damage to the floor as I don't think it's particularly obvious unless it's pointed out so I suspect it might shift down the priorities - especially as our electric shower has just died!

But more importantly - how did you get on Deb?!?

LaG - re your 'friend' - I know being judgemental is really frowned upon on MN, it wasn't too surprising when you said her little boy was rude. I wonder where he gets it from... wink

DomesticCEO Wed 13-Feb-13 18:33:45

grin at your silly judgemental friend having a child who's a little shit!! What a surprise grin. How tempting it must be for you to point this little gem out to her? wink

Yay for toddler beds! We're just venturing into the world of bunk beds and the boys are beside themselves with excitement - room being decorated next week, then we'll order the bunk beds. Curtains being made by SIL in some lego fabric she's ordering from the States, and I think we're going to go for some contrasting lego fabric for bean bags. All very exciting grin.

DT, I would leave the kitchen floor if it's not that noticeable - a lot of hassle for something you're not fussed about!

LaGuerta Wed 13-Feb-13 23:06:28

Agree - that if you think you might sell in the next year or two and the floor is tolerable then maybe it's not worth replacing it now.

I would love to tell her how unpleasant her child is, but I think she is fully aware of this already. She has also just found out that she is expecting DS3 when she overtly had said she wants a DD "for all our sakes" hmm I actually feel rather sorry for her, despite feeling fairly irritated by her attitude on other things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now