When organising a Mumsnet meet up you should take the same basic precautions you would when meeting anyone from the internet - make sure you meet in a public place and that others know where you are going. You can also meet up with other mums on your Mumsnet Local page. Find your Local page here.

Meet in the middle at the schultuete shop!

(962 Posts)
PiratesKnittingTreasure Mon 20-Aug-12 20:13:31

Here we are smile.

Gigondas Thu 24-Jan-13 11:56:46

Sorry back now- scan was good so am free for another 3 months. grin

But have had a tummy bug so am
Unable to celebrate properly yet. And now have to deal with managing my return to work - will be part time and mostly at home I hope.

Mini gig now one and is very lively (I spoke to soon of her getting over her early waking as was up at 4). Big gig loved the snow.

Deb will check fb but I get very few updates now- yours or CEO but shed loads of rubbish so not sure what is going on.

DomesticCEO Thu 24-Jan-13 12:51:07

Deb, I didn't see your pics - has Nigel got his privacy settings to Friends only? If so we couldn't see them sad. Shall we all ask N to be our friend so we can have a peek? grin

Happy Birthday JP!! flowers

LaGuerta Thu 24-Jan-13 12:51:48

Great news Gig! grin

Happy birthday January!! grin

I saw a load of fb photos on FB, but I didn't comment on them. blush I would like to be able to block the novelty cat photos that one friend on FB posts daily.

I have retreated under my duvet with a Creme Egg this lunchtime. Partly because it is chilly, but also as a bit of escapism after a slightly crap morning - hospital appt for DS1's eyes. He is going to get glasses sad. Drove the wrong way out of the carpark up a one way road. Only a small road on the hospital site, but managed to get into an argument with some pathetic little man angry as I turned my car around. Then a pigeon hit the windscreen on the way home resulting in lots of feathers sad

disguisedeb Thu 24-Jan-13 14:47:30

Great news Gig, you can breathe again now!

Happy Birthday JP

LaG - sorry about your crap day

will try and post photos myself

Gigondas Thu 24-Jan-13 14:57:33

Thanks all- and happy birthday January winewinewine.

That sounds pants lag- I am also under the blanket as tummy bug making me feel weak. Quite fancy a creme egg tho so must be on mend.

Off to check out your photos deb.

LaGuerta Thu 24-Jan-13 18:37:10

Why not send DH out on a medicinal Creme egg mission wink

disguisedeb Thu 24-Jan-13 20:28:17

saw the creme egss today when I was out and thought of you LaG

have tried sharing Nigel's photos and will also add some of mine

DomesticCEO Fri 25-Jan-13 08:44:01

You poor thing LG sad. And sorry to hear about DS1 - do you or dh wear glasses? Is it a long term thing? My friend's 2 yr old has just been given glasses too so it's been a big subject of discussion here.

DomesticCEO Fri 25-Jan-13 08:44:56

Deb, the photos/vid were fab!

Gig, how you feeling?

LaGuerta Fri 25-Jan-13 14:26:45

Apparently the glasses are forever sad but he was given them once before just before he was 3 and they lasted a fortnight before the orthoptists said not to bother as they weren't making any difference. I wear glasses all the time. I don't really like wearing contacts anymore: laziness has outweighed vanity in recent years. However I didn't start wearing them until I was 16.

TheJanuaryProject Fri 25-Jan-13 14:31:58

Sorry you had a crap day yesterday LaG. What's the diagnosis re DS's eyes? I hope today is better.

Had a great birthday - and got a new iPad which I am very excited about! I need some app recommendations Gig grin. I've not had a chance to play with it much yet, so I know what I'll be doing this weekend! I am struggling with the keypad a bit though. just a bit too small to touch type comfortably, and too big for iPhone style one finger typing.

Off to look at Deb's photos.

LaGuerta Fri 25-Jan-13 17:28:42

An iPad mini I presume?

TheJanuaryProject Fri 25-Jan-13 17:33:27

Nope, full sized!

TheJanuaryProject Sat 26-Jan-13 12:05:00

Sorry Gig, I just realised I didn't say well done on the scan. Great news! I was losing track of where I was at posting things/replying to things over the last few days.

LaGuerta Sat 26-Jan-13 14:20:24

Oh - I assumed you already had one and do you were used to the iPad keyboard size just finding going down to to the mini fiddly.

As you were though...

TheJanuaryProject Sat 26-Jan-13 17:30:16

That makes sense. No, I just find the keyboard size a bit strange. I want to type on it normally, but it's not quite big enough.

DomesticCEO Mon 28-Jan-13 22:27:58

Dh has just bought us an iPad Mini in the States - we have joined the Tablet Crew grin!

Gigondas Tue 29-Jan-13 09:54:40

Ohh nice domestic - how are boys coping without him?

January- spotify, sky go , BBc iplayer, kindle, Songpop,various puzzle ones if you are keen and the magazine/paper apps are what I like.

Having wobbly moments as meant to start phased return to work. I do think its right thing as at moment can do it but just get tired/sore from sitting (hence phased return-work from home). Just been a while since at work.

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Tue 29-Jan-13 10:38:06

Yay, domestic!

Thanks for the app recommendations Gig. What apps does big gig like these days.

It's not surprising you're apprehensive about your phased return? Do you have a decent chair to use at home? Completely different I know, but when I was working at home when I injured my back, I got the office to send my chair home. It made a massive difference.

Having a bit of domestic drama as you'll see from my fb page for last night sad. The sad face might be a bit of an overreaction, but I could have cried last night! Working at home today while waiting for a workie.

LaGuerta Tue 29-Jan-13 12:48:30

Gig - wobbly moments about returning to work sound entirely reasonable. Are you currently wobbling at home whilst staring at a computer?

Washing machine woes - not great either. Hope you aren't waiting in too long.

Great news on the iPad mini purchase domestic. My only trouble with mine is the kids taking it off me when they spot it. So mostly if they are around I will use the iPhone. However with your ds2 at preschool you should have plenty of uninterrupted time on it.

I am just very grumpy at the moment. So I won't grump on here as I am annoying myself with my attitude.

Gigondas Tue 29-Jan-13 12:58:12

I would more than cry if washing machine broke.

Do tell lag as we all vent enough.

Big gig likes some of duck duck moose ones (colouring, words and numbers one), story ones (Disney ones , cat in hat etc ones) and cbeebies on iplayer.

DomesticCEO Tue 29-Jan-13 13:03:16

((((((Gig)))))) - baby steps re: return to work. Take it as slow as you need. Hope your Occ Health are being supportive x

The boys have been amazing so far - really proud of them. It's so much easier being on your own with a 3yr old and a 4yr old than two babies though! When dh went away when the kids were little I would always summon my mum blush (not that that's an option anymore sad) but now it's fine. Spent the whole day on my own on Sunday with them and had a lovely day smile.

JP, nightmare about your washing machine and water sad.

LG, you can share your grump here!! Tbh, I would rather they used the iPad than the iPhone - both DS1 and DS2 have managed to delete apps off my iPhone hmm, plus I just collected my brand new shiny iPhone 5 today so there's no way they're getting their grubby hands on it grin grin grin.

LaGuerta Tue 29-Jan-13 13:43:48

They just seem less bothered by the iPhone than the iPad. They also fight over the iPad with DS2 bellowing "SHARE" at DS1 who, to be fair to him is remarkably restrained with his little brother. So it is easier to keep it out of sight as much as possible.

Grumble alert - I am just rubbish at having the specify every last detail to the builders. They are being completely reasonable in their requests but I am very bad at knowing what I want. Invariably when I have worked out what I want DH comes home and wants something else. Then we have to spend 2+ hours considering every bathroom tap under the sun before he concludes that my I initial preference is perfectly ok. Etc etc.

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Tue 29-Jan-13 14:30:52

That sounds very frustrating LaG and well worth a grumble.

Still waiting for washing machine man. I'm particularly frustrated with kitchen fitters to (i.e. the ones that put our kitchen in before we moved in). Who leaves a space of 598 mm when all standard washing machines need 600m? So if we do have to replace we have a very limited choice. Gah!

Thanks for app recommendations Gig. We have a duck duck one I think. DS's current favourite is 'firehosefrenzy' which is a Lego fireman app. There's a good Charlie Stinky Socks interactive app too if anyone likes those books. I think I may have paid for that one though. It was interesting looking in the app store - I was looking for apps for DS that didn't have ridiculous in app purchases (I know I can turn that facility off, but I don't want him pestering me for things in apps) and some in-app purchases were £64 on a kids app! Outrageous. I don't mind paying a couple of quid for a decent app if it means no ads or in-app purchases, but £64! I was glad that you can check out in app purchases in the ipad app store before downloading an app, I don't know if that's something available on the iphone app store, I hadn't noticed it before.

Domestic - glad that the boys are doing well while DH is away. When is he back?

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Tue 29-Jan-13 14:33:58

LaG - sorry I missed your post about DS's glasses. I started wearing glasses when I was about 17 too, though I wear contacts now. I wonder, practicalities aside, if it's easier to start wearing glasses earlier? One of DS's nursery mates wears glasses, and her parents say she's getting on fine with them though they need to be robust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now