When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

************ Durham 2010 part 2

(308 Posts)

indith had the 1001st post asking SLF how today went.

Hope you are home by now! think the traffic was awful. Hope it went well

juneybean Sun 19-Sep-10 20:04:32

Oh dear... lol

Tuesday 21st September

10.30am - Cafe Continental

juneybean Mon 20-Sep-10 13:03:23

Dare I start on the C word.... what shall we do about the Christmas meet up?

Are we aiming for a Durham meet up, or a great north east meet up?

Well you're in the excellent company of Tescos if you do... ;-)

Chocaholica Mon 20-Sep-10 18:03:33

Leggy, great news about the weight.

I read your post earlier in breast and bottle feeding about the syringe feeding. We are often at home in the afternoons and you would be welcome whenever to bring T round and I'm a dab hand with a syringe (okay just with Calpol but there you go) and always have cake.

I can't make tomorrow (busy in the morning) - I never seem to make it! Probs best though as DD1 wouldn't sit still for long even if cake were offered. Not her mummy's girl....

Where is Betty, or Purple Dove, or whatever she now calls herself?

EasilyConfusedIndith Mon 20-Sep-10 18:10:07

oOOOPS, well noticed SPB.

See you tomorrow!

FrozenNorth Mon 20-Sep-10 23:16:51

Ugh, I can't come because I have to make myself work. But I want cake, so will eat one at my desk and be with you all in spirit. Mind you, the last Cafe Continental trip was lovely but didn't do much for my blood pressure (it all started to go a bit wrong when DD1 dropped her apple juice)

juneybean Mon 20-Sep-10 23:31:29

Awww no I hope I can meet you soon!

Chocaholica Tue 21-Sep-10 08:13:40

Frozen, I think babies and cake are a more peaceful combo than toddlers and cake.... specially pre-weaning babies....

EasilyConfusedIndith Tue 21-Sep-10 15:40:39

I think we had pretty good evidence of that this morning!

I was very impressed at how good they all were actually. I can't believe we managed an hour before it started kicking off!

FrozenNorth Tue 21-Sep-10 15:43:28

Juney - me too!
Chocaholica - I completely agree. Went to a cafe with my two yesterday as had pm off, and bumped into 2 friends without children. About 15 mins in - just after DD2 had snatched her bowl of sweet potato and dumped it on the floor, and DD1 had successfully adorned her face with latte foam in the manner of camouflage paint - one friend said "you know, I was beginning to think that now might be the right time for children. But it's definitely not". blush

Anyhow, hope you all enjoyed a lovely meet-up and neither of the things described above happened to you ...

FrozenNorth Tue 21-Sep-10 15:44:33

Ah, x-post with Indith. Well yes, an hour is pretty impressive

spiggy Tue 21-Sep-10 19:29:02

some people from Newcastle/Sunderland have started a thread here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/meetups/999699-Newcastle-and- Tyneside

I've sort of invaded it and suggested a Great North meet up in their patch grin Butterpie was on there already.

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 24-Sep-10 18:24:07

Here you are!

Yes Juney I suppose we could start up a Christmas meet up!

We do need to organise to next night out though.

FrozenNorth Sat 25-Sep-10 16:35:05

Argh. Spent 15 minutes trying to find my car in Arnison Centre car park, then came home to find out that all the new students are moving back in on our road. No more lovely peace and quiet sad

They're early...!

Chocaholica Sat 25-Sep-10 21:44:10

Is it student time already? It was in Newcastle today, but I thought Durham students came back later.

How's it going, Leggy?

I have been in John Lewis in Newcastle a couple of times recently, because DD1 likes playing in the toy area, the nappy change/parent toilet is convenient, and the espresso bar is a good feeding space IMO. Anyway I had a surreal experience in JL once when feeding DD1 in the breastfeeding room when a man sitting in there spooning puree into his toddler's mouth voiced an objection to me being in there breastfeeding. The other day I was in the nappy change area, which is connected to the breastfeeding room by a curtain. I was changing DD2's nappy. The curtain was closed and there were voices behind it. DD2 started making the sucky noises that mean 'Milk soon please?' so I said to her 'you can have your milk once you've got a nice clean nappy' (I know she doesnt understand but I say these things anyway). At this point the curtain to the feeding area was opened and a woman appeared saying 'you can't come in here yet, my daughter is feeding her baby' so I said 'it's okay, I'm going to feed her in the espresso bar' and she looked absolutely horrified and then said 'oh you're bottle-feeding' and I said no, breastfeeding, and she still looked shocked but retreated behind the curtain. Then another mum, friend and pram entered the nappy change area and headed for the curtained area, opening the curtain, whereupon the woman said anxiously 'you can't come in here, my daughter's feeding her baby' again. The mum said to her friend 'where can we go? shall I go into the toilet? I could feed him on the toilet' and was all panicked. I was poised to suggest the espresso bar but thought it would be cheeky. I don't know where they decided because I left at this point, DD2 having begun to increase her volume, and headed for the espresso bar, ordered hot choc and cake, sat down, they brought my order over and I started to feed. Saw two sets of bottle-feeding mums and babes in there looking very relaxed. Thought - what is this culture where women are so worried about feeding in public that they even don't want other breastfeeding mothers to see them feeding. And how hard it is to continue to feed if you need to hide. I guessed the baby behind the curtain must have been very young (cos that's usually when feeding in public is most intimidating) but in fact she wasn't, because I bumped into them again and baby looked around 4-5 months. That mother had done brilliantly to feed that long while being so intimidated by being seen.

Sorry for long post. I'm not criticizing anyone here. I'm just musing on how breastfeeding in public, in this area, still seems to be seen as odd, even though actually I have never had anyone say anything or even look oddly at me. I suppose it's all about perception. But the hiding away does make it harder, and less convenient (though maybe is cheaper and less calorific!).

Chocaholica Sat 25-Sep-10 21:45:48

Sorry for such an epic post!

FrozenNorth Sat 25-Sep-10 22:33:44

Hmm, I wonder whether the privacy-conscious individual in that case was the woman you met or the breastfeeder herself. Sad, though, isn't it? I have a lovely friend (a teacher) who is due to give birth to her second child any day now. She was talking about breastfeeding this next one (her DS was ff) and saying how uncomfortable her DH was about the idea of her having to absent herself to feed the newborn instead of being 'polite' when family and friends came around to visit. I decided not to suggest that she not leave the room (friend is rather aghast at me whipping out a breast in front of all and sundry) and asked instead whether her DH knew much about the benefits of breastfeeding. She replied that she wasn't sure, and didn't know much about the benefits of it herself although she knew it was something she should do. So I showed her a couple of paragraphs from the WHO model chapter on infant feeding that a mumsnetter recommended to me, describing the evidence behind the recommendation to bf. She read them and, looking rather horrified, said "you mean formula is made from cows milk?" I hope that she managed to talk to her DH about feeding and maybe even get him to think about prioritising the bf relationship above that of the in-laws. I was left feeling really forlorn and hopeless about people ever getting accurate and evidence-based information about feeding because unless you're of a certain mindset, it's just not something you go looking for. I know what's likely to stick in a person's mind above and beyond the bland "breast is best!" posters in the health centre waiting room- and that's the lovely, tinkly reassuring music of the Aptamil commercial.

I wish a millionaire somewhere would fund a big ad campaign for breastfeeding.

Must join Chocoholica in apologising for long post. All of the above is intended to say that I agree with what you're saying about obstacles to bfing relationships around here...

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 26-Sep-10 08:06:03

Chocaholica, FrozenNorth, those are great posts!

One alternative for the incident in JL, Choc, is her baby maybe at the funny stage where they are very easily distracted, and keep whipping off the boob flashing everyone :D DS went through this stage. I still fed in public but tried to minimise it as much of possible!

Though I can't help but feel sad that she couldn't have fed in front of another bfing mum. Perhaps she doesn't know any?

I used bfing rooms for the first week - I remember using the room in the Metro centre and sharing it with another mum who's little one was a few weeks older than my 6do ds. And we were quite happily chatting and she was reassuring me it would get easier

But I think it helped my DH was very supportive of my bfing, I had seen a few bfing mums at a Bumps and Babies group that I went to a few weeks before I had baby.

And on a related subject - I went to a meeting on Friday with our local Breastfeeding Co-ordinator and I now have my ID badge and have signed up to help out as a peer supporter at my local Surestart centre on a Friday morning - they have both a antenatal and a postnatal clinic then.

Chocaholica Sun 26-Sep-10 08:57:26

Kara, that's great. You'll be fantastic at that and having supporters does make a difference.

Frozen, your post has prompted me to wonder what people think formula is. The name - formula - implies something scientifically invented and approved, which culturally is bound to seem more legitimate and powerful than a woman's body. Been wondering if maybe part of all this is a fundamental distrust in the female body, or disgust at it, as opposed to 'science'. Might be better to call formula 'modified cows breastmilk'.

I used breastfeeding rooms with DD1 initially and again from time to time. But I liked meeting other feeders in the room (chatterbox emoticon needed here). When I was particularly scared I used to sort of plonk the pram in front of me. I am just bewildered because I used to see lots of women feeding in cafes and now I rarely do.

I am not at all anti formula by the way. I know it is sometimes necessary. I think when I had DD1 it never occurred to me, though, how politicised infant feeding necessarily is. And then I read The Politics of Breastfeeding when DD2 was born....

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 26-Sep-10 09:10:21

Chocaholic - yes I quite agree with you about the name "formula". And it is amazing how people don't realise what it is made from - really shows you the power of marketing.
I think it is for similar reasons that births became overly medicalised in the last century - because of people's perceptions that Doctors new best

Indith Sun 26-Sep-10 09:15:53

That's great Kara

I do dind it so sad that people feel they cannot feed in public. I know that hooter hiders and the like get ripped to shreds on here but they can help. Leggy and Frozen who were at the botanics when my friends were there may have noticed one of them using a nursing cover. She fed without it when it was quiet or just good friends but any more public situation she used a cover.

It is indeed student time again. I've noticed a lot of them around wearing sports kit for pre-season training recently. This weekend all the AA signs for the colleges were up, there wasn't enough traffic for it to be freshers yet so I assume the freshers will be next weekend. REmind me not to go anywhere near town next weekend! Argh, I know I was one not all that long ago but the first few weeks of term annoy the hell out of me. Freshers going everywhere as a corridor and returning students gathering in huge groups, usually composed of rahs, air kissing and twittering away about all the turtles they saved in the bahamas and, like, oh my god, it was just so awesome Tilly. Then is you ask them to shift over so you can actually get through they look at you as though you are some imposter in their fine city. What? You mean people live here?

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 26-Sep-10 09:29:50

It's going to be quite challenging I think as the area the SureStart centre is closest to is a sink estate where bfing rates are very low sad

I was at Stay and Play there last Wednesday and I did see at least one mum bfing, and I think there were a couple of others - however my instincts tell me that these mums were from Ingleby Barwick - very affluent with high bfing rates. They have SS centres in IB but they don't seem to have as much on so some of these mums (a lot of them are NCT mums too) come to Thornaby where there is a lot more on. And tbh I think it is good as they are all very nice - and they keep the groups running.

Right I need to work now!!

juneybean Sun 26-Sep-10 12:33:12

I think you're right in that they've probably not seen another woman breastfeed and so they think it's the norm to hide away to feed.

When I think back to when my friend had her little girl 4 years ago before I had met any of you wink she used to leave the room to feed her and you begin to think it's the norm.

It isn't until I've met you all that I can see it's nothing to be afraid of and I am more likely to breastfeed now, although I may be leaning on you all for advice grin

Although on another hand I was intending to breastfeed because my mum had, and I think you're more likely to if your mum had? I'm not sure, it's something I wrote about for health promotion as part of my child care certificate but I can't remember what I wrote blush

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 26-Sep-10 16:31:46

'I am more likely to breastfeed now'

Ooh are you expecting grin

Yes you are much more likely to breastfeed if your mum did - this is well documented. This is why a lot of mums who were themselves bottle fed don't breastfeed - pressure from their mums who erroneously believe that formula is just as good because their children turned out okay. Plus they just don't want to be seen to be critcising their mum's choices. Though the chances are they weren't given a choice sad

juneybean Sun 26-Sep-10 16:47:58

Haha nooo not yet!

Trying to decide what to do with my own life before I bring another life into the world haha

Well on the bf subject, since T was born I've pretty much stopped seeing my boobs as anything except a food source (altho that may change again once I've settled on a size and invested in nice maternity bras...;) ). This has helped me be more comfortable in public.

I've now fed her...
- in CC
- at the botanics
- Slug and Lettuce
- B&Q
- Chesneys (local cafe to me)
- BHS restaurant
- on a bench by the river
- on the number 20 bus!
- while walking along the street to find a seat because she was THAT hungry!

in all these places I've only seen 1 other bf mum besides yourselvs, but no one has batted an eyelid and plenty of people have smiled indulgently in my direction. I've been very pleased by the lack of fuss. So yay for Durham!

Chocaholica Sun 26-Sep-10 21:10:01

Leggy, you've been brilliant at feeding in public so soon after having T. I didn't feed in a public place (did feed in public, but in people's houses etc) for a month after having DD1.

I agree about the nursing cover, Indith. I know people who used them too and it helped. Anything that helps is good IMO.

Oh I can recommend the kids' books area in Waterstones as a feeding space. There's a little yellow plastic chair (sometimes two) next to the fish tank, and it's surprisingly comfy. Plus you can browse the kids cookbooks while you feed....

FrozenNorth Sun 26-Sep-10 21:55:09

Waterstones is a really good idea Chocoholica, can't believe I never thought of that. Only place I've ever had people actively move away from me when I started feeding is North Road Argos (movee in question was mum with ~2yo in buggy swigging what looked like coke from a baby bottle so I didn't take her criticism to heart

I fed through an eye test in Specsavers (again North Road) which was difficult only because the room was so dark that latching the then-tiny C was difficult.

Agree that Durham's pretty good for breastfeeding. I was a bit hmm at the Metro Centre M&S staff when not one of the 4 people I asked could confirm whether there was an infant feeding room (there is, though it's a bit grim).

Re: formula implying more science and sophistication than it merits, I'm all for the idea of one standard for breastmilk substitute advertising where all the company can do is list the ingredients and explain how, if at all, it differs from other brands. In a plain white box - a bit like the tesco value range? - with no new mother clubs, no free cuddly bears or hypocritical 'breastmilk advisory' helplines.

BTW, I don't know if anyone saw on another thread that I requested that Cow and Gate make a public apology for the follow-on milk iron ad that was pulled last week. Cow and Gate got back to me on Friday blandly saying that their science advisor will be in touch with me next week. So I might need the help of you all if they attempt to 'blind me with science' - if anyone wants me to post the initial complaint I sent C&G I will. There's greater collective breastmilk knowledge here than I possess.

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 26-Sep-10 22:26:18

'mum with ~2yo in buggy swigging what looked like coke from a baby bottle so I didn't take her criticism to heart'

I bet you had your judgeypants on to wink

Leggy - that is fab! Took me a couple of weeks to build up confident, I did feed DS in St Nic's in the Marketplace a couple of times. One of the curates (who moved on to be a vicar in her own church in Blackpool) loved watching D feed - she had 2 grown up children and breastfed both of them. She used to stroke DS's head while he was feeding, and she always gave me a special prayer at the communion rail smile

The two of us featured in a Mystery Worshipper review of St Nic's, on Xmas day, 2 days before D was born - the Mystery Worshipper mentioned that my lovely curate prayed over me again at the communion rail as I was 2 days overdue

FrozenNorth Sun 26-Sep-10 23:28:26

O good grief Kara, I feel like I rarely take my judgeypants off now. I often (genuinely!) feel glad that mumsnet can't see into my brain as I'd be kicked off in no time. I'm trying to find out if I can do bf peer supporter training (current response seems to be that there's no money for the training any more) but I worry that I'm too judgey to be any good. I'm good at keeping my mouth firmly shut but fear my eyebrows give me away.

I'm a regular at St Margarets on Crossgate and can also confirm that they're very bf friendly (one does, however, get surrounded by hoardes of ladies happily reminiscing about their own nursing days, so delays are inevitable). But shall have to try at the St Nic's cafe also.

FrozenNorth Sun 26-Sep-10 23:29:37

O good grief Kara, I feel like I rarely take my judgeypants off now. I often (genuinely!) feel glad that mumsnet can't see into my brain as I'd be kicked off in no time. I'm trying to find out if I can do bf peer supporter training (current response seems to be that there's no money for the training any more) but I worry that I'm too judgey to be any good. I'm good at keeping my mouth firmly shut but fear my eyebrows give me away.

I'm a regular at St Margarets on Crossgate and can also confirm that they're very bf friendly (one does, however, get surrounded by hoardes of ladies happily reminiscing about their own nursing days, so delays are inevitable). But shall have to try at the St Nic's cafe also.

FrozenNorth Sun 26-Sep-10 23:30:06

Agh, double post. Time I went to bed blush

Indith Mon 27-Sep-10 14:55:36

Anyone got any useful infor here?

Ahh we went for a meal at the slug when DD was 4 days old (we were registering her birth) that brings back happy memories She slept in the sling or fed and we had a relaxed meal - not had one since!

She is walking now!

FN, yes post your complaint, not sure which one you mean - is the the "do I look like..." one?

Chocaholica Mon 27-Sep-10 18:35:11

I haven't seen that ad, Frozen, but have read your letter and will be intrigued by the reply you receive.

I am wound up enough by the irritating Aptamil one with its pseudo promotion of bf small babies until time passes and they need Aptamil. What IS it with Aptamil? The crap HV I had with DD1 came for the 6 month check and was surprised I was still bf her, and said it was 'okay' to bf up to a year but after that it was more about the mum than the baby (?) and the best thing was to swap to formula at one year, most suitable being Aptamil which was 'the best formula'. I have noticed, anecdotally, that friends who stopped bf tend to refer to Aptamil as somehow different from (better than) other formula milks, but can't see any reason behind this other than that Aptamil markets itself like that.

Rant over.

Taking babies out for meals/coffees etc is soooo nice. I should have appreciated it more when I had DD1. Now it's all about shovelling it down before toddler gets bored/drops a plate/crayons on the chair....

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 28-Sep-10 06:27:30

Choca - yeah I hate the whole "when you're ready to move on from bfing" [anger]

That really pisses me off. A friend of mnie weaned her son of bfing onto formular when he was 6mths old, a couple of days of him screaming for mummies milk and a lot of discomfort for her - and she only did it because she really believed you only bf for 6mo. sad
She was very good at it as well. Still she managed a lot longer than many women in our area!

juneybean Tue 28-Sep-10 13:47:48

When you're ready to move on bfing they can have bloody cows milk ffs

juneybean Tue 28-Sep-10 13:48:09

(obviously I mean if you BF for a year or more!)

But cows milk doesn't wrap them in a warm fuzzy glow of protection, see...

juneybean Tue 28-Sep-10 14:28:55

Ah that's true :/ poor kids, missing out

FrozenNorth Tue 28-Sep-10 15:24:47

I'm ashamed to say we somewhat bought into the follow-on milk thing with DD1 - HIPP organic do a thickened 'goodnight' milk and she had a cup of that before bed for a while from about 11 to 13 months. The thickness of it definitely helped her reflux when she was lying down at night (less screaming and throwing up in the cot!) but I wish I'd pressed the doctor harder to prescribe an additional thickener for my bm and tried that first.

This time 'round I've decreed that none of my money goes to the formula companies at all, so no jarred baby food or rusks etc. I have to admit to a weakness for Ella's organic fruit smoothies for DD1, but I don't think Ellas make formula at all.

Indith Tue 28-Sep-10 16:53:52

Juney by the time you have your own dcs you'll have been hanging around MN and us lot for way too long that you will be a complete lentil weaving, long term bf, baby wearing, co-sleeping hippy grin

Follow on milk is such a huge con, it makes me want to go on a mad rampage tearing down supermarket shelves. I've never done jars of food apart from when camping with ds at 6 months, organix rusks are good though to take out as snacks. Dd has had formula though (I'll get my coat, close the door on the way out etc.) we struggled a lot with feeding, largely due to oversupply so when I had to leave her for Rainbows and for a full day trainig I did she had formula since expressing meant back to square one on the feeding issues.

FrozenNorth Wed 29-Sep-10 08:34:18

Sorry to do a fly-by post, but the details of my correspondence with Cow and Gate are HERE if anyone would be willing to give their input

How is everyone doing?
Do we have any more meet ups planned yet?

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 02-Oct-10 09:41:22

NO nothing as far as I am aware.

I did suggest maybe organising a night out in October.

And I think someone mentioned a Xmas meetup?

oooh it's all gone quiet
FrozenNorth was it you I was discussing LLL meetings with - I honestly can't remember. The next one is in Washington on Saturday - fancy it? Or anyone else of course?

FrozenNorth Wed 06-Oct-10 10:03:10

Ooh, I'd love to come. Would they be okay with me bringing toddler as well as baby? DH is at a wedding (envious emoticon) to which children were not invited. What time is the meeting? I'd need to ask you for directions, but definitely yes. Thank you

Indith Wed 06-Oct-10 13:02:33

Hellooooooo

Nothing in the pipeline. We must get organising Christmas though. I'm guessing 4th or 11th December? Where shall we go?

We should do something before then though.

would this be an evening affair?

Chocaholica Wed 06-Oct-10 21:39:22

Hi all

SPB, it was me you were talking about LLL meetings to. What time would the meeting be? I will see if I can come, then I can meet Frozen, too....

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 07-Oct-10 08:18:20

Yes it will be Leggy.
I think I can make a Xmas meetup on the 4th December but definitely not on the 11th as that is when my Dad is visiting.

Ah, contrastingly, my best friend from uni is isiting first weekend in December, but think I'm free on the 11th. But then sicne I don't yet know when my expressing-fu will be up to me spending the eening out, a'yesy' from me is worth two from Kara!

Indith Thu 07-Oct-10 11:47:12

Leggy small babies are always welcome on meals out

As ever lets start a sign up list and see which is the most popular night.

4th

Kara
Indith

11th

Leggy
Indith

juneybean Thu 07-Oct-10 15:37:12

4th

Kara
Indith
Juney

11th

Leggy
Indith
Juney

FrozenNorth Thu 07-Oct-10 20:56:03

I think I can do either. Can't believe I'm contemplating first night out for so long. Is 8 months old too old to bring DD2 along if all else fails blush?

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 08-Oct-10 07:21:21

FN - nahhhh. You might get a few raised eyebrows, but we'll be prepared with our laser stares of death. And ready to set up an appropriate AIBU thread.

lol
Chocaholica and FrozenNorth, I'll email you about tomorrow, sorry for being crap

Chocaholica Fri 08-Oct-10 21:24:44

Stealth, have PMd you back... but can't do the meeting tomorrow as (somewhat stupidly) assumed it was in the afternoon and planned accordingly. Can I blame baby brain with a six month old?

Am jealous of the night out. No chance here -DD2 just Will Not Settle Unless Lying Snuggled Up with Mummy. Sling works as long as I don't sit down, so that wouldn't be very much fun...

FrozenNorth Sat 09-Oct-10 19:02:41

Argh, I'm so sorry I didn't make it today - both of mine have the lurgy (coughing like 30-a-day smokers) and were far too weepy and infectious to be in close proximity to others. But now I know that they meet the second saturday of the month I'll be there next month - hope you got there stealth and sorry that I haven't got the chance to meet you chocaholica. I wonder if anybody's up for mid-week coffee at any point in the next few weeks - botanics for extra toddler room?

Oh sorry to hear that, hope they are better soon.
I will be there next month, but I won't be taking T - the room is tiny, and there were more people there than last time, if that's possible. He was bored stupid and getting in the way and keeping track of both of them was driving me spare. Which is a shame because I would have enjoyed it but it just wasn't fair on him.
Apparently they get the room free, it's such a shame because there seem to be loads of people who want to go but I imagine soon they just won't practically be able to offer the sessions as they are now.

Indith Tue 12-Oct-10 15:22:20

I have started a new Christmas night out thread to try to gather people together who don't come onto the Durham thread here

Botanics would be really nice next week so long as this lovely Autumn weather lasts. When is good for people?

If anybody is interested, I have been in touch with the Maternity Services whatsit meeting thingy- you know the one where all mothers can go and have their say. Anyway it sounded like something interesting to be involved in. I will be going to the next meeting if at all possible (in November). The lovely lady said on the phone that one of the big things they would be talking about at the next meeting would be the role of peer supporters and she mentioned the magic words "post-natal wards". If anyone has opinions, things they would like me to bring up or indeed if they want to come then yell and when I get the e-mail with more info I'll pass it on.

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Wed 13-Oct-10 08:13:28

I've bumped it!

I can do Monday next week, not sure if I can do Friday. Depends whether I am starting the peer support on a Friday morning.

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Wed 13-Oct-10 08:14:31

Actually no I can't do the 22nd as I have a peer supporter meeting.

Mermaidspam Wed 13-Oct-10 14:34:07

Hi all,

I'm organising a Halloween Party!

There will be games (bobbing for apples, musical zombies, etc) and a prize for the best fancy dress.

Adults are welcome (there's a bar!)

Entry fee = a plate/bowl of food, e.g. cakes, sausage rolls, crisps, etc.

Saturday, 30th October, 6pm - 8pm
Masonic Hall, Concord, Washington, NE37 2DU.

I could do any time except Monday afternoon next week.

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Wed 13-Oct-10 18:53:50

Mermaidspam - sounds fab, think I might in Sheffield that weekend but if not would love to come, can I force bring DH?

I can do Monday morning?

My friend who I've been trying to bring to a meetup is currently in hospital, think she is 33 weeks. High BP, proteins in urine, dizzy spells and double vision sad She did post on FB today that she is hoping to be discharged tomorrow and junior is okay and staying put smile

Indith Wed 13-Oct-10 19:17:19

Mermaid sounds cool. I will have guests then though. I am also debating taking the dcs to the village family night.

Kara hope your friend is ok.

I'm busy Monday morning.

Mermaidspam Wed 13-Oct-10 23:22:59

Of course, anyone is welcome!

juneybean Sat 16-Oct-10 11:49:53

<sobs> I need cake next week, I've got a serious case of threadkillitis this week! Depressing me haha.

Anyone available for CC ?

Any day but Thursday and after 9.30am is great and before 3pm

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Sun 17-Oct-10 22:46:06

Next week is going to be impossible I am afraid Sorry Juney - hope you are okay hun!

juneybean Sun 17-Oct-10 23:23:45

Aww no that's a shame! Hope you and D are well grin

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Mon 18-Oct-10 08:49:59

Yeah we are good!! Hopefully next week will be slightly less hectic!

Indith Tue 19-Oct-10 08:49:39

I am on £10 a week until Christmas (hopefully with an exception for Christmas night out). It makes cake slightly tricky!

Indith Fri 22-Oct-10 11:46:22

We have a newbie! She has posted a thead in local so I've put a link to here. Newbie means forced cake eating grin

Random Q - but does anyone have use for a single duvet compkete with children's cover - yellow, orange red and blue picture; very cheery!).

It was a gift from a relative but a. it will clash horribly with our spare room decor, b. we already have a duvet on that bed, and c. we have nowhere to store it, so would like to make a loooong term loan so to speak!

KathMCB Mon 25-Oct-10 14:59:59

Hi all,

I am indeed a newbie! I have made the life changing switch from working full time up in Edinburgh (my home town) to moving to just outside Durham a few weeks ago. Hubby is a med student in Stockton. Have had three weeks mat leave so far and am due the wee one on Saturday. Struggling to get out of the work mindset and can't wait for D day as I am going a bit mad.

Have been in and out of Durham hospital a lot in last two weeks. Staff seem nice (I am not a good patient, comes from working for the NHS!)

Any advice for a terrified first time mum? So far I am doing well to make people understand my accent!

Glad to have found the Durham thread anyway.

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 15:06:32

Hiya Kath! Welcome to the area! Sadly I'm the non-mum so no advice to offer! grin

KathMCB Mon 25-Oct-10 15:09:39

Thanks Juneybean

Bet you can give me plenty of advice on other stuff though!! Like what exactly are Stotties all about and how exactly do you navigate that weird junction/roundabout thing in Durham near the shopping centre???!

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 15:13:55

Stotties love bacon and eggs <nods>

Leazes Bowl roundabout? I can actually navigate that now! But it's touch and go about whether I need to undo my belt to enter the prince bishop car park haha

Indith Mon 25-Oct-10 15:16:39

Oh that junction is horrible. What is it with people coming out of the Prince Bishops sticking their noses right out into the traffic or pulling out right in front of me? Eejits.

Glad you've found us Kath. Not sure on the advice front! Erm...sleep while you still can? I'm sure you'll be fine. The first months weeks pass in such a blur and it all seems a bit of a muddle but you'll miss it when it has gone and your baby is no longer content to just snuggle and feed while watching all your fave dvds!

Oh I want another baby! <broody> <sulks>

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 15:17:43

Ooo Indith, have one, go on!

Indith Mon 25-Oct-10 15:22:35

Maybe, we'll see.

I just saw your thread in student parents, very cool! Also what I want to do, need to make sure finances all add up so can have another child then go back to uni. If they don't add up then no baby and just find a job, any job.

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 15:26:31

Join the club! Got an interview this week and another next week <fingers crossed>

Going to do the human biology course with OU in October next year I think then look at applying 2012 for midwifery!

KathMCB Mon 25-Oct-10 15:31:30

Well my next major life change is to find a new job in in the North East before the mat leave from my Edinburgh job runs out....will worry about that little issue next summer! Have been sleeping loads and enjoying catching up on books I always meant to read. Have managed to stop checking up on work emails which is progress....starting to care a lot less as my tummy expands (I thought it would have stopped growing at 39 weeks!!??)

Indith Mon 25-Oct-10 15:32:10

I have yet to e-mail to check qualifications. I have A-level Chem and Phys though and AS Biology so should be ok. In an ideal world I'd apply to start Sept 2012.

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 15:32:15

Ooo what do you do Kath?

Indith Mon 25-Oct-10 15:35:56

Yup, ignore the job and don't fret about it!

I think bumps are just ever expanding. It does it to freak you out and make you panic that you are actually incubating a baby dinosaur or something else massive and when you go overdue to start having nightmares about 15lb babies grin (although please note that ds was 2 whole weeks late and only weighed 6lb 15oz so don't panic yet).

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 15:37:23

What you fancying Indith, forgot to ask that before!

KathMCB Mon 25-Oct-10 15:43:26

I work for the NHS as a manager (I know - don't hate me) looking after patient feedback for the NHS in Scotland. I work with clinical staff to try and improve services for patients based in the comments and complaints they send in. I also do some media work as well. Its going to be tough finding a job in the NHS but I really loved what I did and will get back to it.

At last check to bump was about 6 and a half pounds but I think he/she is going to be a long skinny baby. (I am six foot) so I am clutching at straws that this will make labour easier?!!

Was also thinking about an OU course as it has been a while since I did any studying. Will wait and see how I get on with the bump first though.....I have been known to take on too much in the past!

Indith Mon 25-Oct-10 15:50:48

Juney I want to do Midwifery too, let's just make everything go to plan then we can be coursemates

Kath if you loved your job then that's great. I have no idea about what makes labour difficult/easy. On of mine was 6lb 15oz and the other was 9lb 4oz, both were pretty quick labours, no stitching or anything.

Study with a baby is pretty tricky (was finishing my degree when I had ds and didn't take a break at all!) but it is nice to have something else to focus on. I miss that.

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 16:19:18

Ooo yes we can be study buddies hehe!

What you thinking about at the OU Kath?

Oo, I have a friend who just qalified as a MW down south - tough but great was her experience!

Kath - welcome south! Ed is my 2nd favourite city after this one, did my PhD in St Andrews. Am always missing East coast accents (gparents Dundonian, step-mother from Inverness) so this definitely calls for cake!

KathMCB Mon 25-Oct-10 17:10:23

Not sure what course to look at....want to keep it easy but also show that I am still doing something to keep my mind active. Maybe a HR qualification or something random....did an evening class on the history of ghost stories in different cultures a while ago and it was brilliant.

Would love to have cake, may need to wait until I drop sprog however but I make a decent chocolate cake that I am happy to bring along Maybe before Xmas?

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Mon 25-Oct-10 19:46:45

Welcome Kath!

I live near Stockon!

So when is next cakey meet up, been busy on the Fat Buddha thread.

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 20:05:11

Soon I hope <needs sugar> I've been dieting, lost 9lbs but I want cake <stamps feet>

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Mon 25-Oct-10 21:52:11

Well done Juney!!

I could probably do Friday of this week if anyone else is up for it?

juneybean Mon 25-Oct-10 21:54:13

Thank you! Not feeling it yet, clothes are still not fitting yet!

I have to wait in for a repairman on Friday, I repel technology, my brand new PC died after 4 weeks lol

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Wed 27-Oct-10 14:49:29

Going to have to leave it this Friday, DH won't be back to late so need to try and avoid DS napping so I can put him to bed early.

KathMCB Mon 15-Nov-10 12:21:42

Well, baby number one arrived safe and well on 1st. Only just emerging from two weeks of zero sleep.....birth also bit traumatic but all safe and well now

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 15-Nov-10 13:57:16

Congratulations!!!!

juneybean Mon 15-Nov-10 21:59:49

Congratulations, hope you are both well!

KathMCB Tue 16-Nov-10 09:32:44

Thanks, feeling much better now, ventured out of the house yesterday and starting to feel more human!

Right, I know everyone's getting exited over on the Xmas thread, but I've just submitted a 1.5 million Euro grant proposal (with a little help from Juney!) and want to celebrate with cake.

Anyone willing to brave the snow tomorrow? Villagers I guess might be exempt...

Indith Thu 25-Nov-10 11:18:52

Hello!

Congratulations Kath

Leggy sounds exciting! Afraid I will not be doing cake, the bus is pretty good at getting through but it all seems like a bit too much effort!

juneybean Thu 25-Nov-10 17:59:11

I'm available from 9am tomorrow for cake??

KathMCB Tue 30-Nov-10 17:03:59

Would love some cake soon! At the moment we are pretty much snowed in!!

Indith Tue 30-Nov-10 19:15:24

I'm bored!

Worac Tue 30-Nov-10 20:20:58

Hello

Newbie here, can I join your group please?

I have just relocated to County Durham with my fiance and 2 children and I am would love to meet up with other mums because there is only so much Balamory and Octonauts I can take!

We've relocated from North Yorkshire so not too far away, but I love it here already because the people are friendly and the shopping is better! Also my fiance is over the moon at being able to have a pint of Fosters which is nearly a quid cheaper.

Looking forward to chatting to you all x

2bubs4me Tue 30-Nov-10 20:49:05

Hello :D

Newbie here too, Can I also join your group too??

I have relocated to County Durham from Newcastle Upon Tyne back in Dec 2009 and haven't really met any mums in the area, except for Worac a few months ago! She is the only good friend I have here :D

I love it here but like Worac there is only so much Mickey Mouse and Handy Manny that I can take lol.

The Boyfriend loves it here out in the Countryside too. It is so peaceful unlike the busy bustling City of Newcastle.

Looking forward to getting to know you all xx

Indith Wed 01-Dec-10 08:46:48

Hello newbies feel free to leap in, insist on cake, suggest good places to meet and so on. We are having a meal out on Saturday for Christmas, otherwise we sometimes have a good run of regular meets then get a bit rubbish and nothing happens for a while.

Hope to meet you soon (maybe when I've dug myself out from all this snow!)

2bubs4me Wed 01-Dec-10 12:04:37

Indith - Thanks for the welcome hunnie.

As I don't drive and with the weather being pretty bad atm! I doubt I will be able to come for the christmas meet up due to snow!

But once the snow has cleared I will be up for a meet aslong as I can get a bus to it! As there is only a few buses that run through my village!

Unless of course the meet ups are on weekends and I can get my DP to bring me down

juneybean Wed 01-Dec-10 12:15:02

Hello newbies! Welcome to our little group!

2bubs4me Wed 01-Dec-10 14:25:40

Thanks juneybean, whereabouts in Durham are you all from?

juneybean Wed 01-Dec-10 14:48:24

I'm up in Penshaw

Indith Wed 01-Dec-10 15:27:59

I'm out Esh WInning way, how about you?

2bubs4me Wed 01-Dec-10 17:51:44

I'm in Wheatley Hill which is located just off junction 61

Where abouts is Penshaw?

juneybean Wed 01-Dec-10 18:26:25

Outside of Washington off the A19

2bubs4me Wed 01-Dec-10 19:29:57

I should of added we just off the A1 at junction 61...im a pure ditz lol

how is everyone this evening?

so whats people's ages and number of children and age's?

Oo, I once knew someone living in Wheatley Hill, but he's up in Northumberland now.

I'm in Gilesgate with a wee 3mo girl.

We tried to do for a walk today but it hailed on us and she objected to being hidden under my cardigan for protection (was in BabyBjorn) but then objected more to hail in the face (obviously!).

However the nice man at O2 promised me a new phone tomorrow so we're going into town or else! Plus it's J's working-late day and I'll go crazy if I don't get out. Thank goodness for living on a bus route...

Anyone with access to town fancy cake at short notice?

Leggy, I would but i have both girls on my own and I can't get the Phil and Teds through the snow very easily. You'd be welcome here for tea and cake though? x

Indith Thu 02-Dec-10 15:44:01

envy at cake, kind of miss being so close to town this week.

2bubs I have an (almost) 4year old and an (very almost) 2 year old.

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 02-Dec-10 18:28:05

I've got my Dad coming up, DH is picking him up from Newcastle airport later this evening, so won't be able to meet up during the day this week.
Hopefully next week!
What is it like in Durham city centre?

juneybean Thu 02-Dec-10 19:19:37

I'm supposed to be away for work all next week....assuming the snow buggars off!

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 02-Dec-10 22:55:05

Well my Dad's flight has left Alicante, albeit 2h18m late!!!
Not expecting it until 1:30am

juneybean Thu 02-Dec-10 23:09:36

Where is he flying into?

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 03-Dec-10 07:58:06

Newcastle - plane landed at 1:20am, they got back home about 3:30am!

I went to bed when DH told me he'd arrived at the airport and woke up just after they arrived.

Indith Fri 03-Dec-10 08:49:19

Glad he's arrived smile

juneybean Fri 03-Dec-10 09:30:56

I've decided not to brave going up to Hexham today, loss of money but I'm more concerned about not getting home as I wouldn't finish 'til 7pm and they keep taking the buses off if my car got stuck or anything!

hi everyone
were you at an interview juney?

juneybean Fri 03-Dec-10 13:55:24

It's a temp assignment up in Hexham, main week is next week where I'm staying over so doesn't matter if it's still snowy next week as I won't have to drive home!

oh good Glad it's mainly next week

What is happening tomorrow night, are the plans still on?
I still need to call & amend booking (add me & slf & ???) whicjh shouldnt be a problem but tbh i've been avoiding going out

juneybean Fri 03-Dec-10 16:21:33

Nooo we cancelled, Indith posted on the other thread

ohh of course, this isn't that thread
confused
well I know what I mean!

juneybean Fri 03-Dec-10 16:33:55

I understand, don't worry grin

2bubs4me Fri 03-Dec-10 17:23:50

LeggyBlondeNE - did you get your new phone from the 02 shop yesterday xx

I did! Only neither the man nor I noticed it lacked bluetooth, so I went back today and got a different phone!

Inceidentally, if anyone goes into Durham in the next few weeks, there's a lovely photographer next door to the ELC in the Milburngate centre, doing free sittings and first 7x5 print for a tenner.

I've just got a couple of lovely pictures of T and ordered a small set of Christmas cards with her on for the family.

He was great with her and the pictures came out lovely, but the snow has been crippling his trade, so I said I'd mention him to others! I just walked straight in and got a sitting immediately.

Worac Fri 03-Dec-10 20:14:28

Hi everyone

Are you as fed up of the snow as I am? Drove to the neighbouring village to visit a friend (hi 2bubs) and got my car stuck twice and passers by had to push the car free. I haven't dared go out since blush

LeggyBlondeNE - I will mention the photographer to my oh. We were supposed to have pics taken a few months back but both kids were spotty from chicken pox so we decided not to bother!

Shame about your xmas do, could we have a new year one instead that newbies can attend grin

2bubs4me Fri 03-Dec-10 20:22:06

Dont tell porkie pies Worac you got your OH to drop you off the following day grin hahaha!

Yeah I'm up for a meet in the new year once the snow's gone. Hopefully I can get a bus to the meet

shock 2bubs you PMed me, didn;t you
and I ignored you blush

Worac Fri 03-Dec-10 20:39:34

I like to be chauffeur driven by OH in his 4x4 in the snow, especially on village roads to save myself from embarassment lol

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 04-Dec-10 09:49:41

You found us here then 2bubs

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 04-Dec-10 10:03:14

here

I'm certain Altinkum is a NEer, can anyone help?

2bubs4me Sat 04-Dec-10 16:19:25

Worac - And I like to be chauffeur by OH in his convertible along country roads too ha

2bubs4me Sat 04-Dec-10 16:28:17

KaraStarbuckThrace - yup i foud you

StealthPolarBear -Yes you did lol

stickylittlefingers Sat 04-Dec-10 16:39:33

Hiya, sorry we couldn't meet up tonight. I just realised the first post on this thread was directed at me (durr!) - I did have a lovely time, again, on the GNR. It's such a nice event, we should all do it!!

When I was walking home the other night there was a young lad going for a run on the snow and ice... I am not worthy. I haven't run anywhere for ages, too ruddy cold!

Hope you all have a good Saturday night, in any case. And be careful on those slippy pavements and roads.

Indith Sun 05-Dec-10 09:11:01

You OK 2bubs? You've had a bit of a pasting. There are some good suggestions if you can skip past the unhelpful posts and the thread linked to is great.

Worac Mon 06-Dec-10 19:46:40

Evening all

Indith - I'm venturing out tomorrow to playgroup and I have some errands to run so the car is coming out! Hopefully it wont be too bad.... Btw I know where abouts you are as I have family that way, about 30 mins from here.

Sticky - I've seen people out running too, even my OH who is an active outdoors person said he wouldn't run on snow and ice lol

hi everyone
I think the snow might be about to melt

I'mmmm dreeaming of a grey, drizzly Christmas...

Indith Tue 07-Dec-10 07:49:02

Melt? Melt? How is it going to melt when the temperature is mostly negative?

Ds has a little scratch on his tummy from sleeping on his hands (he woke up at 4am with dead arms followed by pins and needles, oh the tears!). He keeps insisting that he has chicken pox grin

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 07-Dec-10 08:56:40

You're dreaming all right SPB [frin]

BTW is the Park & Ride still running okay? If is I will try and come up at some point for cakey goodness.

Indith Tue 07-Dec-10 09:15:10

Just to let you know the FB group has been deleted. It was only started to exchange photos prior to the Christmas meet since we had a lot of new people coming. Now that is gone most people prefer to keep MN and RL separate so it has gone.

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 12:13:38

I'm stuck down a hill

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 07-Dec-10 12:24:41

Indith - thanks

Indith Tue 07-Dec-10 12:32:51

Oh no! Where is the hill?

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 12:40:23

Northumberland proper stressing about it, I shouldn't have come down it but I didn't realise how bad it was until I got down.

Need to get out by friday <sob>

Indith Tue 07-Dec-10 12:47:26

Oh dear. How big a hill? Can you get hold of some grit? Gravel or ash will also help your grip. Is there a freinds owner of a 4*4 who can give you a tow/winch?

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 12:53:05

Looks steep but there's two parts because there's a curve, if I can get round that curve I'd be fine, but outside the house I'm staying in it's tons of snow and ice.

No idea about 4x4s, there's a grit bin at the top of the street, will check if there's any in it when I go up there shortly!!

Ugh!

Indith Tue 07-Dec-10 13:00:32

Snow in itself isn't too much of a problem so long as it is relatively compact and not fresh, fluffy snow. If you can get something on it to help you to grip then so long as you can get some momentum coming up to the bottom of the hill then there is not reason to not get up it. It is just making sure there is something to grip (anything, sand, gravel etc).

Keep fingers crossed that it lets you out by friday without having to resort to stunt drving!

spiggy Tue 07-Dec-10 13:42:51

Have you got a shovel to move the ice off the worst bits? I've just done part of the side street near us and it was coming up really easily in big chunks, only took 10 mins or so. There is however a big mountain of snow and ice at the side of the road that is going to take months to melt grin

It is starting to melt slowly- our well started flooding last night... It is just freezing again to make things even more tricky!

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 14:18:27

Ooo I could try and dig some tire tracks out? Could be there til january though though grin I will give it a go and try and get some grit from the bin at the top!

Well the forecast for tomorrow is cold but then tomorrow night gets warmer, and we have a few days and nights where it's well above freezing!
(Hope this isn't local to Durham juney and all the snow melts where you are too)

juneybean Tue 07-Dec-10 20:18:18

Thanks SPB, I really hope so harumph

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 10:46:24

How do I know if I've mixed the cobbler mix right, I don't want them to be soggy or dry <stress>

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 10:46:51

Oops totally put this on the wrong thread <grin> but if anyone can help that's fab!! haha

Indith Wed 08-Dec-10 10:53:04

No idea! I made a cobbler once but it was a long time ago. How is the hill of doom?

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 10:54:43

I keep thinking about it and wondering if I should try it backwards! Someone else looks like they've got out as there are fresh tire marks! Going to grab some grit on school run today and get the little boy spreading it for me grin

IS child labour part of your contracted salary then? ;-)

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 11:43:52

Delegation is the key!

Curiousmama Wed 08-Dec-10 15:49:14

grin at cobbler! How did it turn out then juneybean?

How are you doing juney?
And the child labour thing - you're just teaching him life skills!

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 18:58:12

It was fine! Timing was off a bit but they were scrummy once they were ready haha!

Car is fucked, pardon my language but I'm hacked off!! Bloody thing won't even start now... hoping tomorrows "mild" weather will wake it up a bit

Indith Wed 08-Dec-10 19:31:54

Oh no juney! sounds like you could use some cake when I get released from prison.

Hopefully "just" the cold. There is a little care that is parked on the main road outside out house at the moment and since the snow the poor girl who drives it has had to get help to give it a jump start every time she wants to use it!

Dh's step sister and family live in Wooler and MIL says they pretty much have not been able to get anywhere for 2 weeks now. THey have a 3 year old and a small baby, I'd be completely doolally if I were her.

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 19:36:05

Wooler's a lovely place but yes being stuck anywhere is totally unfun. I look out the window and because their house is a bit lodge-like I feel like I'm in the fricken alps!

Just did a google and it sounds like once the engine is warmer it'll be fine, I bloody hope so, I want this week to end <sob>

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 19:53:10

And my pepsi has frozen <wail>

Curiousmama Wed 08-Dec-10 20:08:25

Didn't I read somewhere that you can put a blanket over the engine overnight? Probably tosh though?

Glad cobbler was good. I'm cutting down on fats so for dinner I had veggie rice and bean thingy that I made up which was lovely and very low fat smile

Curiousmama Wed 08-Dec-10 20:10:44

YAY I'm not mad grin well not totally anyway car blanket here

juneybean Wed 08-Dec-10 20:11:48

Ooo no idea confused I really do hope it's milder tomorrow, friggin' sick!

That does sound awfully healthy! I'm hoping I've lost some as I'm walking 2 miles a day for the school run! Get a lie in tomorrow, little pleasures eh?

Curiousmama Wed 08-Dec-10 20:20:07

Enjoy your lie in. I'm having reflexology in the morning. My feet hurt every morning so am hoping this may help? I like having it done so if nothing else it'll be relaxing smile Although I think losing a couple of stone would help too blush

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 09-Dec-10 07:01:50

Well apparently it is supposed to get warmer and there is no more snow on the way, for the time being!

Fingers crossed!

Curiousmama Thu 09-Dec-10 09:44:15

hope you're right, dp says the same. Feel so sorry for the oldies sad I put my name down to clear paths for them, think people organising it should've done this earlier though.

Indith Thu 09-Dec-10 15:51:03

Drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip drip.

You can sort of see a difference on the roofs. Will be a while before we can see grass again though!

How is the car?

What was reflexology like Curious?

Curiousmama Thu 09-Dec-10 17:29:53

reflexology was really good thanks. Full body massages are on offer at the moment for £14 so getting one of those next week for a treat smile Shouldn't really but am almost organised for Christmas so I am wink

Indith Thu 09-Dec-10 17:56:53

£14! Where? Wonder if I can persuade dh that I really need one.

Technically I'm owed one anyway, he promised me a massage for Christmas the year dd was born but with a milk monster breast addict it never got done. She turns 2 this Christmas!

Hi everyone
told you it would thaw [smug]

i love it ny thaw dance worked

juneybean Thu 09-Dec-10 19:04:33

<bops SPB for her smugness>

I can see the road through the snow/ice, this is looking promising, I might get up the hill tomorrow afterall!

Curiousmama Thu 09-Dec-10 19:07:48

It's a beauty salon in Blackhall colliery Indith called Sheer Indulgence. Really lovely little salon smile

Curiousmama Thu 09-Dec-10 19:11:02
alocin85 Thu 09-Dec-10 20:53:12

hello ladies how is everyone this evening?

hi alocin, are you new or a name changer?

ah are you two babies for me

Indith Fri 10-Dec-10 10:35:57

Thanks Curious, I'll take a look.

Yay for the melting! It has melted enough that things are starting to go down the drain pipes again and it has stopped coming in through the wall in the dc's room

Hi alocin.

So who will come and have cake with me when the dcs have stopped being so spotty?

Ds is so spotty, he looks terrible, they are everywhere. Eyelids, ears, lips, willy the poor boy. Dd is a couple of days behind him but looks like it is going to stay mild for her. Since it gets worst as they get older I am very glad we are getting it over with now and not when ds is older.

juneybean Fri 10-Dec-10 10:38:50

Me!!! Depending when it is, I need cake!

Poor W

Indith Fri 10-Dec-10 10:43:45

Well it won't be befor ethe end of next week that is for certain. Even if neither gets any more spots today it will still be Wednesday by the time they are all scabbed over.

Dh checked his e-mails last night to see what was going on at the rowing club this weekend. I hearn and "erm.." as though he was working out how to phrase something. I didn't even need to ask what he was going to say before replying "no, your children have chicken pox and your wife will commit suicide". He's just doing the one outing grin

Curiousmama Fri 10-Dec-10 11:15:38

So will he be allowed to go then Indith? wink

It's good that the snow's melting, means I won't be needed to clear paths. It's not what I wanted to do anyway I wanted to run errands but don't think that's allowed nowadays....my school CRB won't cut itwink

I'm really looking forward to tonight, am going back through to my hometown to see my ill aunt and my mam, then have tea and wine at a friends. I won't get back until early morning, dp's picking me up he works nights but has an early finish this Sat.

Hope you all get to meet up for cake soon, which reminds me I have to go to our bakers for some to take tonight. Indith if you do ever get to Blackhall check out Craggs bakers, it's the one that has a queue out of the door at lunchtime smile

Indith Fri 10-Dec-10 11:47:50

Sounds like a good night

Dh will be allowed one outing and not the 2 that were being proposed in the e-mail. It takes all morning so I do not like it when he does 2.

juneybean Fri 10-Dec-10 11:52:50

But but but if he gets one outing, can you not have one outing?

Indith Fri 10-Dec-10 11:59:53

Unfortunately that requires friends and quite often money.

People I was friends at uni with who are still living here it is nice when I see them but I am very much remmebred at the last min or if there is noone else around and nothing better to do.

Few friends with children, the ones I actually see outside of groups usually doing stuff with family at weekend.

So usually at weekends dh takes the dcs out to the farm shop or park or something on the Saturday while I do housework or if weather bad I ignore them as much as possible and do housework while trying to point out to dh that the reason I keep the bathroom for weekends when he is around is that dd will have her ehad down the loo "helping" so can he please keep her away. Then on Sunday morning he goes rowing, comes home whne dd is down for her nap after lunch and the afternoon is spent reading the paper while ds goes "daddy will you play with me" on repeat.

Actually dh does play with him loads, he loves playing with the dcs it is just that I can spend the whole weekend without leaving hte house and I need to but there has to be somewhere to go.

KaraStarbuckThrace Fri 10-Dec-10 12:21:56

Indith IKWYM, there have been entire days where DS and I haven't even gotten dressed blush

We are going to see M and her new baby on Monday though, yey!!!

Definitely won't be able to meet up next week as off to Sheffield on Wednesday to see my friend and her little boy, working Tues & Thurs and having a meeting with the peer supporters on Friday.

Hi everyone
We are the house of pox again too - DD is spotty now!

Indith Fri 10-Dec-10 13:37:08

Woohoo!

Well, you know what I mean, you are getting it out of the way. She obviously caught it off T rather than whoever T caught it off.

I have 2 children asleep shock. They are each taking up a sofa though!

spiggy Fri 10-Dec-10 19:58:11

Indith I would be up for something (anything!) out of the house on occasional weekends- DP's a season ticket holder for the football which seems to required several hours either side of the match to participate fully in the experience hmm He usually takes the kids off my hands for a few hours by taking them to his parents but my free time never quite seems to add up to the same amount as his IYKWIM. And I usually end up doing housework when I'm in the house on my own as I feel guilty. I figure I am owed lots of brownie points grin

BTW how big did people look at 18weeks? I look HUGE. I keep getting asked if it is twins. I don't remember being this big previously. Is it just official that my stomach muscles have given up completely? grin

Indith Sat 11-Dec-10 12:51:14

I was pretty mahoosive with dd I seem to remember, but then she was prett mahoosive too grin. Maybe your tummy has just given up all hope wink

Yes men and free time. Dh just said he hoped to be able to 2 rowing outings every weekend after Chrisitmas (he also does 2 evening sessions). I may have had a bit of a rant about how only spending 2 afternoons a week at home is not fair on me or the dcs. Plus I pointed out that while he pays £20 a month subs to the rowing club I can't afford to do a class for exercise (and yoga at the village hall would be £20 a month). He said that that is his socialising which is mostly true, he does that plus the occasional meal out but erm....my socialising is the occasional meal out with you lot. He seems to count the money I spend inthe week on toddler groups and bus fares to town as my socialising hmm

Argh. Rant.

juneybean Sat 11-Dec-10 12:55:12

That's not very fair We'll just have to arrange more nights out!

But like Spiggy I'm always around on a weekend for coffee/cake!

Indith Sat 11-Dec-10 13:10:14

We should start doing more at weekends Easy to get bogged down into thinking that everyone else is doing family stuff at weekends.

yes I'd vote for more weekend stuff too

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 11-Dec-10 15:40:05

I'd be fine with that, especially as I have the option of leaving DS with his dad grin

Chocaholica Sat 11-Dec-10 17:20:49

Me too.

Been to John Lewis today and remembered our vaguely planned meet up there. In the New Year we must!

Weekends sound like a really good idea ... My work weeks are getting stupidly busy and I'm pining for social activity, particularly since the cancellation of the night out (sob)

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 12-Dec-10 09:33:24

I propose we meet up for lunch next Saturday - 18th, I know I am definitely free then.

We could go to Cafe Continental and have nice lunch and cakey goodness grin

Indith Sun 12-Dec-10 09:40:36

That sounds really good Kara. I'll leave the dcs with dh and do the last bits of stocking filler shopping. we need to get our tree at some point that weekend too, we were going to do it this weekend but the dcs are not in a fit state to be in public!

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 12-Dec-10 10:57:55

I had Cpox as a child and DS had it when he was a year old, so we are okay.

I was supposed to be visiting M on monday but she needs to go back to the hopsital for a couple of appointments.

Will have to go shopping this week, tried to book a online shop with Tesco and they are fully booked until 27th!!

juneybean Sun 12-Dec-10 11:53:25

I should be able to make that, I take it parking is gonna be an absolute nightmare though haha!

Curiousmama Sun 12-Dec-10 13:49:41

That sounds lovely so glad you're all getting to meet up. You deserve it Indith smile

I had a great night in Darlington last night with dp and we stayed over in the hotel where we had our first date smile Obviously we didn't stay over on the first date grin
I went to visit my old next door neighbours this morning whilst Dp did the morrison's shop (he likes shopping??) The lady nieghbour's been missing me bless her although the new neighbours are ok. Was so nice to see them though. I have lovely neighbours here though so can't grumble.

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 13-Dec-10 09:57:52

Juney - i'll be using the Belmont PnR as usual!!

Curious - are not not able to meet up next weekend?

Indith Mon 13-Dec-10 09:59:39

Shall we say 12 at Cafe Continental then?

Say on here if you want to come and if you are bringing dcs. If numbers start looking high then I'll warn them in advance!

Curiousmama Mon 13-Dec-10 10:32:20

Kara thanks for asking would've been nice but dp isn't at work, dss are at their dad's so no doubt we'll be doing something together? Hope you all have a lovely day though smile

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 14-Dec-10 10:05:40

I will be sans enfant grin

juneybean Tue 14-Dec-10 10:10:25

As will I grin

juneybean Tue 14-Dec-10 19:52:38

...no I won't lol that family has asked me to babysit on Saturday, I need the money!

But hopefully I'll see you lovely ladies in the new year?? grin

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 14-Dec-10 20:27:53

Oh no Juney!!!

Indith Wed 15-Dec-10 09:12:14

Oh no!

Indith Wed 15-Dec-10 13:44:01

So who else is coming?

Indith Wed 15-Dec-10 18:10:38

Anyone else fancy lunch on Sat? Not that I don't like Kara but would be nice if someone else joined us!

KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 15-Dec-10 19:10:19

Indith - I have invited my friend M and her dd.

Curiousmama Wed 15-Dec-10 23:04:42

I might come for an hour actually if that's ok? Dp wants to go to the fairtrade shop for a bag for his dd. I could come and have a quick snack perhaps? Won't have dss as eldest is 13 he'll probably go with dp but he's no trouble if he does have to come? DS2 is at the Sunderland game with exdh. His school were doing a special with cheap tickets.

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 16-Dec-10 08:49:14

yes please! Be lovely to see you

Curiousmama Thu 16-Dec-10 09:30:00

Hope I can remember what you both look like? grin Is the cafe on Elvet bridge? Used to be another one didn't there?

Indith Thu 16-Dec-10 12:41:08

Yes it is the one on Elvet Bridge, will be lovely to meet you smile Since Kara's friend will have a small one we'll most likely be downstairs so you won't have to look too hard!

Curiousmama Thu 16-Dec-10 12:47:45

Indith I think you look a lot like dsd from what I can make out of the pic on here?(she's 22) except she is blonde. Is that Kara on her profile? Should I wear a carnation? wink

Indith Thu 16-Dec-10 16:42:28

I do not look like a 22 year old, I am far more haggard. I have just noticed that my profile stil thinks I'm 24 though, I like that idea!

Curiousmama Thu 16-Dec-10 17:26:25

try 42!! grin

juneybean Thu 16-Dec-10 19:25:13

I looked before Indith and I was like "I'm sure she's older than me..."

oooh, can I come? DH just offered to take DD1 so DD2 and I could pop along as long as I wouldn't be one too many! Juney, I promise I won't try to kidnap you - not even with the aid of the admittedly excellent cake at Cafe Continental wink

juneybean Thu 16-Dec-10 19:54:58

grin I might want kidnapping! I'm dreading starting this nursery in January!

Curiousmama Thu 16-Dec-10 19:56:33

well i think i know what you look like frozen?

Indith Thu 16-Dec-10 21:17:30

Brilliant Frozen smile

We're going to a wedding at 4, so probably not on this occassion.

Have fun!

Chocaholica Fri 17-Dec-10 08:49:39

I think we'll be heading for bigger shops tomorrow, as DH has just admitted he ordered my present online (hmm) and it hasn't come (obviously), so don't think will be near Durham at lunchtime. Haven't finished my shopping yet! Had a whole day in Newcastle on Wednesday and STILL failed to finish it, mainly as had DD2 in pram and spent most of my time queuing for lifts that perfectly ably bodied people were using in preference to stairs/escalators....

Anyway have fun tomorrow!

Indith Fri 17-Dec-10 15:45:32

<<sings the cake song>>

Mmm, cake! Juney, just read back and realised you're not coming: please ignore my, erm, idiocy.

Girls were meant to have a settling-in session at new nursery today but 'twas cancelled due to staff absence. We were all in the hallway about to leave when they rang - talk about anticlimax!

juneybean Fri 17-Dec-10 22:10:54

Argh nightmare! Will the next one not be 'til January now then?

hi everyone
Won;t be able to make tomorrow Waiting in for shower guy who is coming "sometime probably between 10 and 12"

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 18-Dec-10 09:08:59

Oh no SPB - let's hope he comes early?

spiggy Sat 18-Dec-10 10:17:50

have fun girls, I would have come but I have a stinky cold and don't think I'd be popular if I infected the rest of you in time for Christmas grin Plus as its football today I'd have to bring the kids as well and I'm not sure I'm up to it!

Might take them to steal some greenery from the park pick some holly and ivy instead smile

KathMCB Sat 18-Dec-10 14:00:21

Argh...I was too late to see the meet up for cake!

Let me know when the next one is as I am starting to go crazy in the house with the six week old!

Hope you all had fun
He didn't, he came late (12.20) but he did fix it! I didn't think he'd be able to so I'm very pleased

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 18-Dec-10 15:25:14

We didn't eat cake - we did have a very nice lunch which was very full - it was just me and Indith.

Will arrange another one for the New Year.

I'm so sorry I wasn't there - I got stuck in possibly the world's biggest queue in the post-office, then had a loud and embarrassing argument about Christmas dinner with DH in Marks and Spencer and then realised that it was past one o'clock ... please forgive me Kara and Indith, I hate it when people promise to come to things and don't and I know my excuse is particularly pathetic!

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 19-Dec-10 09:35:15

Oh no, doesn't sound like you had a good morning!! We will meet up again in the New Year.

juneybean Sun 19-Dec-10 11:20:45

I'd quite like this year to end now please

Indith Sun 19-Dec-10 16:45:00

Sorry Kath!

Frozen very sorry but I may have giggled slightly at your troubles in M&S. Sorry you dond't make it though.

juney what's up?

juneybean Sun 19-Dec-10 16:55:44

Meant to be on holiday now but my friend is from Bedford and her roads are too icy....hopefully tomorrow <prays>

Are you back from Northumberland now - sounds dreadful up there

juneybean Sun 19-Dec-10 18:16:46

Yeah I did my last day yesterday and drove home at midnight! Just wanted to get home for my holiday........... and now its started snowing up here ffs, can't win!

I don't care what happens tomorrow I intend to go on holiday!

where are you going?
Glad you're home at least - I ahve been hearing about 25mile traffic jams

juneybean Sun 19-Dec-10 18:27:28

Supposed to be going to Center Parcs Nottingham...they have no snow that I'm aware of just typical isn't it!

I'd hate to be stuck on a motorway like

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 09:05:58

<sob>

I have a huge cake if anyone wants to come round and eat it...

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 20-Dec-10 09:58:08

Juneybean - the roads are clear from Teesside - Sheffield, if that helps?

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 10:00:52

It's my dear friend in Bedfordshire not able to get to notts. I've no problem driving in our little snow, but you know what these southerners are like wink

Chocaholica Mon 20-Dec-10 11:05:15

Oh Juney what a PITA. Poor you - might she be able to set off later?

We're here all day, we've already made wonky fairy cakes,you'd be welcome to come over, but I'd guess you want an adult rest day!

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 11:31:26

She hadn't even tried, she's now decided to try and get some petrol and see how that goes... I will keep my fingers crossed! Otherwise I will be there for wonky fairy cakes grin

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 11:31:47

And I promise I won't whinge as much in 2011....hopefully...

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 12:02:28

Hope you get away Juneybean?

I'm feeling so lazy today and dp is putting me to shame, he's cleaning like a demon. Although to be fair for he next few days he'll be either on nights or sleeping so I'm trying not to feel too guiltyblush

We went to wakefield yesterday to see dsd and the roads were good apart from a little bit teesside way which was a bit scary when the right hand lane disappeared under snow and the middle lane was busy. Dp coped very well though.

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 14:13:41

Still here and I've cracked open an alcopop

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 14:50:44

sad Don't you fancy going alone? I'm sure you'd be ok there's always someone to chat to.

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 14:56:38

Ooo no I have low self-esteem as it is and then I'd hate it if I got snowed in by myself. You want to come with me? grin

Indith Mon 20-Dec-10 15:02:08

You think dh would notice if I went with you juney?

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 15:29:20

I'd love to wish I had some cash smile I love centre parcs especially this time of year.

Indith yes I think he may just notice wink

How long are/were you going for juneybean?

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 15:31:26

Hahah just sneak out Indith!

It was a pre-xmas break Mon - Wed, but to make it longer we had booked sunday night at the local hotel!

Wasn't impressed with the hotel "you know you won't get any money back" yes I was aware of that actually!!!!!!

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 15:38:04

So sorry about that. Is she totally snowed in?

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 15:38:39

The roads in her town are just completely ice and she has a silly little car grin

Indith Mon 20-Dec-10 15:49:26

I'm sorry juney, very rubbish for you

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 15:52:02

Thanks lovelies! Roll on 2011! Please let it be better than this one grin

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 19:21:00

You have a great attitude juneybean hope you get away for a break soon?

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 19:50:49

My mum and I have one booked for end of Jan, so I really hope so! I will rent a tank if I have to haha

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 19:51:58

grin at the tank. Is that centre parcs too?

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 19:57:32

Yep but the cumbria one so not as far to travel!

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 19:59:16

That's good then smile Been there a few times its so easy to get to. Dss love it but haven't been for a few years. We camp a lot now though.

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 20:11:42

I've never been to the cumbria one, so I hope it's as good as sherwood, do you know if they have the rapids in the pool?

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 20:54:31

yes pretty sure they do. I've been to 3 CPs though so get confused blush Only been to Elveden once and never managed Longleat (yet)

juneybean Mon 20-Dec-10 20:59:04

Have you heard about the 5th? It's near Milton Keynes I think, it'll be open 2013.

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 22:12:18

Ooo no didn't know about that one?? Never been to MK (not sure exactly where it is?) blush

Curiousmama Mon 20-Dec-10 22:14:10

Do now I googled grin

Chocaholica Tue 21-Dec-10 08:01:19

Oh Juney how crap you couldn't go in the end.

I've only been to Sherwood Forest, not Whinfell, but am sure the pool will be fab too.

I recommend taking wellies in Feb. I needed mine in October....

do any of you lot have a flowery bow tie/cravat you could lend me? I'm getting desperateso would be extremely grateful details are here

juneybean Tue 21-Dec-10 19:01:41

No sorry!

all sorted thanks

Curiousmama Thu 23-Dec-10 10:51:42

Glad it's sorted SPB smile

Indith Tue 28-Dec-10 18:21:11

Boo.

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 29-Dec-10 09:04:05

Not bad... had flu last week.

You?

We all had a horrid cold / mild flu / other random virus that turned into ear and chest infections so spent a lot of Christmas in the out of hours GP at UHND: joy. Both children still out of sorts. Roll on the new year and better health!

Indith Wed 29-Dec-10 13:24:14

Sounds like we all had pretty similar Christmasses then! Dcs were still really washed out from the chicken pox and then I got a horrible cold which I kindly passed onto the children. They spent Christmas very snotty and coughing and not sleeping. Joy. They are still very tired and grotty. Normal routine is very much needed I think! Dd in particular bless her has been so nsettled by everything, people visiting, different peoiple visiting, moving into big bed, going to stay places. More different people. Lots of late nights. She has given up on going to bed entirely and just screams "no way" for 45 mins or so before finally falling asleep. Deep joy.

Indith Wed 29-Dec-10 14:07:53

New Thread

Anyone free on the 8th of Jan? Just collecting together a few friends for a curry. Feeling pathetic and need to get out.

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 30-Dec-10 19:05:12

A bit broke atm - had better leave it.

Plus I ruined my new dress I brought for the Christmas night out

Worac Thu 30-Dec-10 19:25:04

Hi ladies

Just popped on to say I hope you all had a lovely xmas and wish everyone a happy new year. I am really looking forward to coming to a meet up in 2011!

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 03-Jan-11 11:17:40

Am coming for curry on the 8th!

Have ordered a couple of nice maternity frocks which I hope will arrive before the end of the week, so I can wear them!

Very very excited, DH and I have booked a night away in a posh spa hotel in Maldon in Essex - my mum lives in Essex and is having D overnight for the first time on her own - she jumped at the opportunity! She has been asking about having him to stay with her for a few days in the summer so this will be a chance for a trial run.

juneybean Mon 03-Jan-11 13:37:45

How's your bump coming along Kara?

Indith Mon 03-Jan-11 15:42:47

Aw that's great Kara, bet d doesn't even realise you've gone grin granny time is the best.

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 04-Jan-11 07:49:24

Juney - it feels quite hard now! And Dh has said my shape has changed.

Indith - oh yes D adores Nanny

KathMCB Mon 10-Jan-11 14:41:35

Hi all,

Just marking my place, looking forward to some kind of meet up soon, have almost made it to three months and my LO is sleeping better so I feel very human. Christmas did not help the post pregnancy diet but hey ho.

Am off the the Newbies showing of "The Kings Speech" at the Metro tomorrow at 10:30 if any of you are free. You can bring kids in, have not been before but I need to get out of the house and I think (?!) I can find my way all by myself to the Metro....hmm

juneybean Mon 10-Jan-11 18:13:37

Oh I want to see it but being childless I'm probably selfish in that I don't want any kids crying around me grin

KathMCB Tue 11-Jan-11 15:22:37

Was an excellent film....would recommend it. The LO was very well behaved as well

OsbegaEthewulf Mon 14-Feb-11 09:01:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now