If you're a journalist and are looking for case studies, or would like MN users' input on stories, please contact press@mumsnet.com and we will post your request here.

Need opinions for news piece in The Telegraph tomorrow - Women in their twenties and thirties are under saving for their pensions due to childcare costs

(2 Posts)
HanaTelegraph16 Tue 19-Apr-16 15:22:29

Hi all,

Writing up a piece to run in tomorrow's Women's section in The Telegraph and I'm looking for your opinions!

According to a new study, women in their twenties and thirties are under saving for their pensions and may be at risk of poverty in retirement because they are taking full responsibility of childcare costs.

The study found that found that many had cut their own pensions contributions to cover the costs of childcare or as a result of taking time out of work to look after children.

The research explored the reasons for this and found underpinning many decisions about pensions were traditional ideas about male and female responsibilities. In particular, women consistently described meeting the whole costs of childcare from their own salary, even though both working parents benefit.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel that in this day and age the childcare responsibilities and funding comes down to you?

Would love to hear from you, either through Mumsnet or email me at hana.carter@telegraph.co.uk.

Many thanks,
Hana

VikingVolva Tue 19-Apr-16 20:35:24

What time is your deadline?

(posting to bump, for evening MNers)

I've read on here so many times that it's the woman's salary that is seen as what needs to cover childcare (eg 'I'd make so little after paying for childcare that it's not worth it') rather than seeing it as a joint expense 'we don't make much more than we did, because of childcare costs, but at least we are both progressing in our careers and enrolled in the pensions schemes'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now