If you're a journalist and are looking for case studies, or would like MN users' input on stories, please contact press@mumsnet.com and we will post your request here.

NEW CHANNEL 4 DOCUMENTARY ABOUT FAMILIES AND DNA

(20 Posts)
Vanessasugarfilms Tue 29-Mar-16 14:11:33

Have you ever wondered if a sibling, parent or loved one may not be biologically related? Now there’s an opportunity for you or someone you know to finally get the answers they have been waiting for.

Sugar films are producing a documentary project with Channel 4 (not for broadcast) about families and individuals who seek the help of DNA testing, to understand the truth about their relationships and piece together a picture of who they are.

During the programme participants will be provided support and guidance to understand the impact of testing.

Please contact DNA@sugarfilms.co.uk to find out more

VertigoNun Tue 29-Mar-16 14:13:40

Is Jeremy Kyle presenting this?

Vanessasugarfilms Tue 29-Mar-16 14:27:14

Hi VertigoNun,

This will not me a Jeremy Kyle type of programme. It is a documentary that explores the reasons as to why people would want to get a DNA test.

The documentary focuses on real to life, life affirming and heart warming stories and reunions.

It is in the same vein as other Channel 4 docs, like 24 hours in A&E etc...

Thanks,

Vanessa

flingingmelon Tue 29-Mar-16 15:22:31

'The documentary focuses on real to life, life affirming and heart warming stories and reunions.

It is in the same vein as other Channel 4 docs, like 24 hours in A&E etc...'

So actually you mean 'we thought we might see if we can find a few families dumb enough to tear themselves apart for the entertainment of our viewers?'

This is exactly why I can't cope with channel four 'documentaries'. It's just side show gawping dressed up as anthropology.

flingingmelon Tue 29-Mar-16 15:23:40

If you want to know why people get a DNA test, why not talk to people who have already gone through this, experienced the fall out and recovered?

Or would that not make good telly?

AnguaResurgam Tue 29-Mar-16 15:38:07

"Sugar films are producing a documentary project with Channel 4 (not for broadcast)"

If it's not for broadcast, what is it for?

Vanessasugarfilms Tue 29-Mar-16 15:50:22

Hi all,

1 @ anguaresurgram
The programme is not for broadcast at this stage as it is more of a pilot - before the series is to be commissioned smile

2 @ Flingingmelon
The programme is a heart warming documentary that brings families together and explores issues that many individuals and families in the UK can go through everyday. From all backgrounds.

Please would you mind not commenting negatively on the programme when you do not know or understand the positive intent.
We would love to hear from people and families who may want to share their stories and may want help and advice during this time in their lives.

Thank you.

Have a nice day

Vanessa

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Tue 29-Mar-16 18:19:11

"Please would you mind not commenting negatively on the programme"

I thought MNHQ were considering warning the media about the norms of MN so they can make an informed decision on whether to proceed.

OP: unless you describe the positive intent, no-one can possibly know what it is.

I agree if sounds like Jezza.

SlinkyVagabond Tue 29-Mar-16 18:24:22

"Please would you mind not commenting negatively on the programme"
You'll be a stranger round these parts then?
Who has the popcorn on?

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 29-Mar-16 18:31:11

I don't understand how the first part of the request fits with the later replies. If someone suspects a relative doesn't have their presumed parents then how can breaking that open be guaranteed to be life affirming and heart warming?
I'd love to have a DNA test that told me about the origins of my family but I'm pretty sure we are who we think are.

BIWI Tue 29-Mar-16 18:35:27

Please don't comment negatively?! grin

You haven't really done much research about Mumsnet, have you?!

People here aren't stupid, and are very good at engaging their critical thinking faculties. You can use 'heart-warming' as often as you like but it won't stop people commenting as they wish.

neonrainbow Tue 29-Mar-16 18:37:53

Why are people posting if they're not interested in being on the show?

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Tue 29-Mar-16 19:50:03

Because the thread pops up in active, MNetters have opinions and post whether good bad or indifferent.

If people only posted when they liked what they read, the site would be totally different in character. And I guess most members like it as it is.

SlinkyVagabond Wed 30-Mar-16 18:24:25

And meedja requests are like catnip. I think all the new interns/junior researchers get told "here-take this, re-write it and pop along to mn" if they survive the ensuing viper fest, they have a future. Vanessa got off lightly.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 30-Mar-16 18:28:02

This should be interesting.

<settles in>

honeysucklejasmine Wed 30-Mar-16 18:30:00

I don't understand how the first part of the request fits with the later replies. If someone suspects a relative doesn't have their presumed parents then how can breaking that open be guaranteed to be life affirming and heart warming?

^this. I don't understand. Could you give us an example of a storyline please OP?

neonrainbow Wed 30-Mar-16 19:37:35

There might be posters here who are interested in being on the show. So I'm not sure why the above comments are necessary. I understand asking questions if you're interested in being on the show but asking questions just to be a dick?

BIWI Wed 30-Mar-16 20:34:01

neon - I've done an advanced search on your name and see you haven't been on MN for that long.

The reason people are posting as they are here is that there's a lot of suspicion and cynicism about the media and how they use Mumsnet and Mumsnetters.

We're seen as an easy source of fodder for stories and programmes, and there's very little regard for the actual interests or welfare of Mumsnetters.

So if you're interested in applying to take part - fill your boots. But just be a bit more savvy about what they're asking for and what you're actually going to get out of it.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Sun 03-Apr-16 19:32:59

Our posts are a public service of sorts.

Vanessa, why didn't you run this past HQ first? They'd have told you we'd want to know the difference between your "heartwarming documentary" & Jeremy Kyle.

You have DNA tests, he has a lie detector. You "bring families together", he "brings people together".

Is the difference that people on your show won't be in tracksuits?

neonrainbow Wed 06-Apr-16 07:18:49

BIWI I've lurked and name changed for years on mn. I amjust fed up of people having the opinion of "but this is mumsnet so im allowed to be rude and overly opinionated" especially on something theyre patently not interested in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now