If you're a journalist and are looking for case studies, or would like MN users' input on stories, please contact press@mumsnet.com and we will post your request here.

Are you a fan of Marie Kondo? Did decluttering save your relationship?

(31 Posts)
Clarabelle13 Thu 28-Jan-16 12:34:16

Hi, I'm looking for couples where one partner has read Marie Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying and it has revolutionised their life - as well as their relationship.

For eg, are you a woman whose shoe collection drove your partner to the brink of moving out or a guy whose man drawer of random keys and ancient mobile phones was a huge issue in your marriage?
Would love to hear from anyone who fits the bill and can talk about how the KonMarie method has changed things for the better (and any anecdotes about new annoying behaviours - ie, you need to drink your coffee fast these days or the cup will be swiped for the dishwasher!).

It's for a lighthearted women's feature in a national newspaper and I'd need a short phone interview, as well as a pic of you and your other half.

Thank you!

Vaginaaa Fri 29-Jan-16 14:48:52

What about women with man drawers and men with shoe collections? Is living according to gender stereotypes part of fitting the bill?

3point14159265359 Fri 29-Jan-16 16:13:00

The point of a man drawer is surely that he can keep what the fuck he likes in it, no? Did I miss the point?

stumblymonkey Fri 29-Jan-16 16:26:43

Every time I see one of these media requests on MN it's full of sexist bullshit. Will they ever learn?

Clarabelle13 Fri 29-Jan-16 16:31:12

Wow!
Any type of couple is welcome with any kind of drawer.
it was just an eg.

3point14159265359 Fri 29-Jan-16 16:38:48

Shite like this might be why I don't read newspapers anymore.

Vaginaaa Fri 29-Jan-16 16:43:30

I have a man drawer full of men. Would that be good?

originalmavis Fri 29-Jan-16 16:46:07

Why are there so any media request's here at the moment for puff pieces? Isn't there any real news or have journos got lazy?

TheGreatSnafu Fri 29-Jan-16 17:20:52

Any type of couple is welcome with any type of drawer.

That's an awfully big remit, there OP.

tribpot Fri 29-Jan-16 17:41:14

originalmavis, unfortunately I think Mumsnet is lumped in with a set of sites where apparently only 'wimmins ishoos' are discussed, and thus when a magazine wants to do a 'feature' on, say, the EU, the researchers don't look in our direction.

Clarabelle, you have strayed into choppy waters here as we have had a gutful of daft Media Requests over the last few weeks. No offence is intended to you personally but it might well be to whatever national newspaper you represent. NB we have asked Mumsnet to provide better guidance to Media Requesters, so they appreciate that we aren't obliged to think these articles are 'light hearted' just because your brief says so.

Why can't the Life Changing Magic of Tidying just be life changing without being relationship saving? Do you think people won't read about it if there isn't some aspect of 'how to hold on to your man' to the story? Marie Kondo's business took off after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, when people began to question the value of what they still had, and what they'd lost. From the discussion I heard on Woman's Hour, Kondo is not about trying to change those around you anyway, so it's not intended to be beneficial to relationships directly.

TheTigerIsOut Fri 29-Jan-16 17:48:47

I just got Mary Kondo's book, if it is as good as other decluttering books, I can say that decluttering save my relationship... With myself. The husband went out along the other nasty clutter in my life grin

And no, I'm not interested in shouting out about the wonderful effects of my decluttering from a national newspaper platform! wink

Chippednailvarnish Fri 29-Jan-16 17:54:48

Following on from Trib...

lighthearted women's feature in a national newspaper

Can I ask which national newspaper?
And why would tidying up be in a women's feature?
confused

Will I be required to wear an illfitting dress in a primary colour, nude court shoes whilst pulling a disapproving face at my man drawer owning other half?

BeyondBootcampsAgain Fri 29-Jan-16 17:55:30

You know, if you want a womens piece for a newspaper, you could cover the bullshit changes to the IOC's regulations on 'gender' sex segregation in the olympics? How male bodied people can now compete against women even with 3x the usual level of testosterone for a woman?

I'm sure your readers would appreciate it more than another piece on cleaning.

3point14159265359 Fri 29-Jan-16 18:07:16

tiger how many decluttering books do you own? Does that mean they've failed?

TannhauserGate Fri 29-Jan-16 18:10:45

Why are newspapers bothering with this kind of crap? Is it any wonder people don't pay for papers any more.hmm
Why don't you have a feature for the 'women's' section about the refugee crisis, v easy to look at it from the PoV of women.

Maybe we could get Marie Kondo to declutter Europe? confused

Mner Fri 29-Jan-16 18:16:34

tiger do you need to deck utter your declutter books? grin

Mner Fri 29-Jan-16 18:16:56

Oops autocorrect! Declutter!

tribpot Fri 29-Jan-16 18:20:19

In Clarabelle's defence she is suggesting that the subject of the article could be a guy whose man drawer was a marriage breaker. If the marriage was to another man, however, I fear it may not make the cut for a women's feature.

BeyondBootcampsAgain Fri 29-Jan-16 18:27:38

cant read clarabelle without thinking of the cow

Seriouslyffs Fri 29-Jan-16 19:25:57

Chipped
Will I be required to wear an illfitting dress in a primary colour, nude court shoes whilst pulling a disapproving face at my man drawer owning other half?
grin

TheTigerIsOut Fri 29-Jan-16 21:43:02

Well, that is the thing... I need a bit of a refreshment after almost a decade since I read the last one and... I released my decluttering books to the world years and years ago grin.

CoteDAzur Fri 29-Jan-16 22:28:58

shock at the OP.

Did I wake up in the 1950s?

Oh and Marie... who?

tribpot Sat 30-Jan-16 12:12:57

Marie Kondo, Cote. I have only done the t-shirt drawer bit and can report that it has had zero impact on my marriage but I like it anyway.

Snowshimmer Sat 30-Jan-16 15:02:50

Perhaps some heart-warming interviews w/ women who LTB after decluttering their homes would work better on MN.
Marie Kondo wrote in her book that at least one of her clients got rid of her husband after decluttering her home.

BeyondBootcampsAgain Sat 30-Jan-16 16:57:49

grin no better way to half your possessions than kicking out your other half!! Does this person bring me joy? Nope? <boot>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now