If you're a journalist and are looking for case studies, or would like MN users' input on stories, please contact press@mumsnet.com and we will post your request here.

Sending sick children into school

(7 Posts)
LauraDickinson Wed 27-Jan-16 11:20:02

How do you feel about the suggestion, from a head teacher in Poole, that children who have coughs, colds or a raised temperature should be medicated and sent into school?

Illcya Wed 27-Jan-16 11:22:12

Really? Can you do a link?

Hedgehogsdontbite Wed 27-Jan-16 11:25:36

I think it should depend on how the child is feeling as not all coughs and colds are equal. Some are perfectly manageable with a dose of paracetamol, others aren't. A raised temperature is a different matter. I've never known anyone with a high temperature to feel anything other than absolutely rotten, so making them carry on is cruel.

LauraDickinson Wed 27-Jan-16 11:47:01

Here's the link to the Bournemouth Echo's coverage www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14231057.Send_sick_children_to_school_to_keep_up_attendance__headteacher_tells_parents/

AuntieStella Wed 27-Jan-16 12:19:12

'And NHS guidelines state: “If your child has a raised temperature, they shouldn’t attend school. They can return 24 hours after they start to feel better.”'

I'll go with the NHS, not a head teacher, about when children should stay at home.

Generalised cold symptoms, I send them in. Raised temperature, no.

DangerMouth Wed 27-Jan-16 12:24:22

I think it's a disgrace that parent's are being encouraged to send sick children to school to keep absence levels low. The school system in England (and imo the perceived obsession with education) annoys me so much. Learning should be a joy not the bloody chore they're trying to make it.

But then dd1 was sick last week and l kept her off for 2 days as we had family visiting from abroad for her birthday and l wanted her well enough for that marks self as 'a terrible parent'

LauraDickinson Wed 27-Jan-16 12:49:50

Do I have permission to use these comments as quotes for our BUzz Bournemouth news story? We are a student run news organisation, based at Bournemouth University.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now