Tactics to get your child into a good school

(19 Posts)
Editorialmoo Tue 19-Aug-14 13:51:48

I've got 2 children, the eldest is nearly 2 1/2 and already the conversation is turning to schools. We live in a small flat in an urban area of London and will in time be facing the many challenges of getting our children into a school we are happy with.

This prompted me to start researching the topic which is fascinating from all perspectives. I am looking to explore this further in a documentary project because I believe it is a reflection of the times we live in.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken drastic measures themselves, or has reported someone else or even general thoughts about why we, as parents in the modern world, feel the pressure to do whatever it takes.

Feel free to post or reply via PM. Nothing will be used for any purpose other than general research while I try and shape this project.

Thanks!

alwaysdoinglaundry Tue 19-Aug-14 14:28:59

Move to on the doorstep of the school you want or pay privately. Or discover God.

BigArea Tue 19-Aug-14 14:35:45

You might need to get this moved to media requests OP

morethanpotatoprints Tue 19-Aug-14 14:38:41

I don't understand why every parent these days has to want the best for their kids rather than using the local school.
If the school isn't very good then tough, there are plenty of other people who have to use them.
We live in an entitled world OP, everybody wants, all of a sudden.

My dc went to bog standard local schools, some were ok, some were dire, none were excellent.

So because of the entitled world we live in where parents choose a school to fit in with their work, rather than being near enough to be responsible enough to be able to collect their dc if they are ill (soap box of mine), parents such as this move to better areas, discover God, or as suggested above go private. Heaven forbid they should school with the oiks. grin

Hakluyt Tue 19-Aug-14 14:59:07

You might want to start with finding out what people mean by a good school.......

"I don't understand why every parent these days has to want the best for their kids"

Really? Is it just me, or is that not completely self-explanatory?

Heels99 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:02:23

We moved house. Not to get into a good school per se but to get into any school, massively oversubscribed where we were

Heels99 Tue 19-Aug-14 15:03:19

Op if your child is 2.5 then you end to think about schools now not "in time"

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 19-Aug-14 15:08:32

I disagree that the subject is "fascinating" - it's boring as hell.

AggressiveBunting Tue 19-Aug-14 15:11:23

Um, morethan, apologies if I've got the wrong poster but don't you home school? Presumably that's because you found the other options not up to scratch or at least not meeting your children's needs. So is it so difficult to get from there, to other parents aiming to get their kids into the better schools in the vicinity?

Purpleflamingos Tue 19-Aug-14 15:18:05

There aren't any tactics though , or am I missing something? You apply for a place. You are accepted or not. The only tactic I can think of is attending a church.

DialsMavis Tue 19-Aug-14 15:28:18

Move. Pay. Or accept that the school will probably be good enough and the home environment is far more important to achievement during the primary years than the school one.

I think I get what morethan is saying. We moved to an area where the schools are all good, it was a conscious decision (crap house as all we can afford), even with the good secondary schools a sizeable section of the community feels they are not quite good enough for 'their children'. As long as not in a problem school and with home support it's up to the child... They will do well if they want to, or dick about if they want to. I've got enough faith in my child to think that he will embrace the opportunities and if he doesn't that's his own fault.

MillionPramMiles Tue 19-Aug-14 15:30:51

My parents just sent me to the local school where I had the opportunity to see someone taking heroin, someone pointing a loaded gun, someone jacking off and lots of violent racism. It wasn't even an inner city school.
I wish they'd wanted the best for me instead.

morethan: is it entitled for parents to 'work'???

morethanpotatoprints Tue 19-Aug-14 15:41:29

*Aggressive bunting.

All my dc have been to school and they went to the nearest, there were better if we were prepared to move or travel, but we saw no need, they made do with what we had.
Yes, dd is H.ed now, but not because we consider it better, school was fine and we have had no issue with them at all, but she prefers being at home.

Twelveleggedwalk grin

Believe it or not, it is quite recently that parents have had so much choice in schools, yes many parents used to be happy sending their kids to the local school, there was far less traffic on the road and we all enjoyed walking. So yes, it is the entitled parents of today I'm afraid.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 19-Aug-14 15:45:57

Million

Of course it isn't entitled for parents to work, but when you have dc they are expected to come first.
Many is the time that I have seen and heard from a friend that parents have taken up to an hour to collect a sick child, some parents see school as child minding service. They expect the receptionist or worse still class teacher to nurse them, its disgusting and irresponsible, yes.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 19-Aug-14 15:51:06

DialsMavis

Yes, that was what I was saying, that all schools have something wrong with them, none are perfect.
Everybody scrambling for the deemed better ones just keeps the worst ones from improving.
My ds1 went to the worst school imaginable, similar to Million I trusted he would be ok and follow the right path and he did, not only this he reached his full potential. I didn't go appealing or shouting how unfair it was, we just sucked it up.

MillionPramMiles Wed 20-Aug-14 13:37:05

morethan: "disgusting and irresponsible"? You know, they might have taken an hour to get to the school cause they had an hours commute to work, not because they didn't care or couldn't bear to leave work. Very few people in London are fortunate enough to be able to get from work to home in much less than an hour.

Editorialmoo Wed 20-Aug-14 14:10:20

There is a lot of debate around this subject, which I personally do find fascinating because of my own experience in a difficult inner city comprehensive school, and the choices I now face as a parent and the repercussions for the future of my kids.

People do all sorts of things where their children are concerned and I present this completely without judgement because we do the best we can do in any given situation. I'd particularly like to hear from people who has taken drastic action themselves or people that know someone who has and how they feel about it. If anyone is willing to go off-record and talk about these things I would love to hear from you. Rather than post if you prefer please email keepingmum100@gmail.com and we can start a dialogue.

Many thanks

AggressiveBunting Wed 20-Aug-14 14:48:46

morethan Thanks, and apologies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now