For The Guardian: looking for someone to write about giving birth to a very large baby

(9 Posts)
MEDIA: Bella Tue 03-Jun-14 12:02:49

Hi there,

We are looking for someone to write a piece about the experience of having a very heavy baby, for The Guardian. Stats show that over 1000 babies were born in 2013 weighing more than 11lbs - a rise of 26% in 6 yrs. We'd like to hear from you if you've given birth to a big baby - were you worried about health risks? Was the birth particularly difficult? Has it had any lasting ramifications?

It would appear on our Commentisfree site, and we pay for articles. Please get in touch if you'd be interested in writing. You can contact me on isabella.mackie@theguardian.com.

Thanks!

SomethingAboutNothing Tue 03-Jun-14 12:06:56

What are you classing as a big baby? My DS was 9lb 5.5oz, which I consider plenty big enough but I know there have been babies born much bigger.

user2472 Tue 03-Jun-14 12:37:44

Hi Somethingaboutnothing, the research we've looked at is talking about a boom in babies weighing over 12lbs. So we're really looking for stories about babies that are a little larger than yours (though 9lb 5.5 sounds big to me!). Thanks very much for asking though, Bella.

I had a home birth of a 10lb 13oz baby at home after two previous cesareans. Not sure whether that would be big enough?

fuzzpig Tue 03-Jun-14 12:52:48

Can you please say a bit more about what kind of info is needed? Do you need photos?

My 2nd was nearly 12lbs, but it was in 2009 and I didn't actually know he would be so big beforehand. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you are looking for?

user2472 Tue 03-Jun-14 12:58:25

fuzzpig

Wow. Did you have any warning at all?

There is a news story today about the rise in bigger babies (sidenote - one of the reasons being given is obesity in women, but we're not focused on that element of it), and we thought that a personal take on delivering a large baby would be an interesting comment piece.

Here's the story

fuzzpig Tue 03-Jun-14 13:02:15

Hmm, got to the term 'sumo babies' and gave up reading it. DM at it's finest eh hmm

user2472 Tue 03-Jun-14 13:06:41

Yeah sorry for the headline - I did say we weren't focusing on the same angle!

eragon Wed 18-Jun-14 21:02:46

had a 9lb and 10lb 8oz baby, now adults bigger baby now a 21yr old, 6ft 6 inches and 9lb son now a 6ft 2 inch 22yr old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now