This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Dissertation survey

(36 Posts)
georgieporgie00 Sat 05-Apr-14 18:08:36

Hi I'm hoping you could all help me. My son has his dissertation to hand in on Thursday however he's left it really late and still has a survey to complete. I'd be ever so grateful if you could spare a couple of minutes to help. Thank you in advance.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CTZJ8Y2

ginmakesitallok Sat 05-Apr-14 19:18:02

Sorry, but for a uni dissertation the survey is appalling,. Where does he explain its purpose? He doesn't seek informed consent. If he's had problems to overcome the uni should have been roviding support.

Dawndonnaagain Sat 05-Apr-14 19:31:45

gerogie what support, if any, is he getting?

JacqueslePeacock Sat 05-Apr-14 19:37:05

Shouldn't there be some kind of research ethics statement on here? Explicit seeking of consent? (That's before I even get onto huge actual phrasing of the questions). I mean, I've filled it in, but if this were one of my students he would not be passing - and might even be hauled in front of the research ethics committee.

JacqueslePeacock Sat 05-Apr-14 19:37:46

The, not huge. Sorry! Bloody ipad.

KaFayOLay Sat 05-Apr-14 19:38:34

How reliable is the website?

Does this pertain to the availability of the website, or the content?

RhondaJean Sat 05-Apr-14 19:43:44

JAcquesie I think that the ethics thing might depend on what he is studying.

rabbitlady Sat 05-Apr-14 19:44:21

i did it but i think his political perspective is dodgy.

Higheredserf Sat 05-Apr-14 19:49:07

In 20 years of student support in higher ed I have only had one student leave a dissertation so late. I'm afraid he failed but was allowed to resubmit.

Has he asked for an extension?

Each institution has different regs but if he can't get an extension and fails he needs to speak to them about if he fails can he resubmit. All regs will be in the Quality manual or whatever they have called their rules and guidance docs.

No name of supervisor or statement is poor.

"contains child abuse related textual content"

Oh dear Lord. Ethics?

georgieporgie00 Sat 05-Apr-14 19:49:48

Thank you all very much for your responses, he's saying he has enough and is very grateful

OP, did your son get ethics approval from his supervisor or institution to complete the survey? If he didn't he might be on dodgy ground with regards to whether he has met the criteria for passing it. Get him to check, because if he hasn't got approval he needs to investigate the rules for resubmission, as Higher says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now