This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Which of these health & development benefits for babies & toddlers is most important to you? Answer this question and you could win one of three sets of Babycups, worth £7.99 each

(23 Posts)
MEDIA: Sara at Babycup Fri 04-Apr-14 10:46:16

1. Reduced risk of rotting teeth?
2. Improved chance of straight teeth and less need for expensive/extensive orthodontic treatment in early teens?
3. Less potential for speech development problems?
4. Great fine motor skills and coordination/pincer grip development?

Babycup is a mini open cup for newborn cup-feeding, baby weaning and toddler drinking. It is Made in the UK, BPA free, dishwasher & steriliser safe. It's a very cute little cup, but best all offers great health benefits and has the support of health professionals. Launched to UK shops only a few months ago Babycup has already picked up awards and received excellent reviews and recommendations from parents and is starting to be stocked around the world as well as JoJo Maman Bebe, Bentalls and NCT Shop in the UK.

An NHS Oral Health Promoter said of Babycup, "This little cup is perfect".

Amongst the many health benefits of using a Babycup are:
Dental - open cup sipping means reduced risk of tooth decay (compared to the more common 'sippy cups' i.e. spouts and no-spill valves)
Orthodontic - sipping from appropriately-sized open cup is not detrimental to face and jaw development (natural sipping action does not have a repetitive detrimental impact on muscle usage/tongue position/facial and jaw growth/teeth developing in correct positions)
Speech - does not alter tongue position
Fine Motor Skills - development of coordination and pincer grip (relevant for fine motor skills such as pencil grip and general dexterity/ability)

Babycup is a little company (it's me, a mum of three, frustrated at not finding a healthy weaning cup that was just the right size for little hands and mouths), so does not have the budget or marketing department of a big brand. But Babycup does have knowledge and passion for making sure little ones can drink healthily and without the sadly common health downsides that many cups offer. Babies and toddlers can be great at using a Babycup and starting off at highchair/mealtimes, when weaning or later, is a great place to begin.

It would be wonderful to have your thoughts on which of the above-mentioned health benefits you would place as most important to you when considering your child's health and development?

Please would you reply with your order of importance?

Lots of Babycup info, health details, comments from experts, pics of little ones using their Babycups, and where to buy, can be found on our website www.Babycup.co.uk

Babycup looks very simple, and that's its beauty. It removes the stabilisers stage and cuts to the skill of sipping, and in doing so removes unnecessary health negatives. The size of Babycup has been considered with care and the specifications have been precision-engineered down to the exact mm.

We are not trying to change the world, but if we can change the way we think about serving drinks to our little people then that difference will be enormous.

Little cups with big health benefits grin

So, which of these health issues is, in your view, the most important for babies, toddlers and beyond?

Please email me at hello@babycup.co.uk

All answers will go into prize draw to win Babycups. 3 sets to be won.

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.

Sara thanks

SaraAtBabycup Fri 04-Apr-14 11:20:11

Hello - If you prefer to answer on the thread, rather than by email, that's great too. Thank you. Sara

SaraAtBabycup Fri 04-Apr-14 19:55:44

Hello & bump smile

Roseformeplease Fri 04-Apr-14 19:59:09

I think the order you have them in the OP would be mine.

Do you know you have an error in the OP (it's beauty should be its beauty) - just doesn't look too good for a company's sales pitch.

SaraAtBabycup Fri 04-Apr-14 20:19:13

Hi Roseformeplease

Thank you so much for your reply. Getting people's thoughts on the order of importance of the key health/dev benefits is really helpful. I really appreciate your post.

Thanks also for spotting the grammar blooper blush

Sara

MoonandSixpence Mon 07-Apr-14 11:55:43

Hi - my brood are all beyond the weaning stage, but we could have done with these a few years back.

At the time, the most important issues for me would have been 1 - reduced risk of rotting teeth (for some reason, I had no idea that sippy cups were worse for teeth), then 4 - greater fine motor skills (so they wouldn't be pouring drink all over themselves!), then 3, then 2.

With hindsight (and orthodontic treatment looming!) point 2 would be higher up the list grin.

btw I liked the 'They're not big but they are clever' line on your webpage - I know it's referring to babies in general, but would make a good tagline for the cups themselves.

Good luck.

SaraAtBabycup Mon 07-Apr-14 13:43:47

Hi MoonandSixpence

Thank you!

Lovely of you to take the time to read all the info and to click through to my website.

You wouldn't have been alone in not knowing the downsides of sippy cups for dental health. They're often not mentioned or if they are they are in very small print. I am trying to change that.

I like the connecting of Points 1 & 4!!

Thanks also for your good wishes and your comment about 'They're not big but they are clever' smile

Best wishes

Sara

SaraAtBabycup Wed 09-Apr-14 19:33:12

Hello bumpety bump smile

SaraAtBabycup Wed 23-Apr-14 10:47:42

Bump

I would say Dental, then Orthodontic, then Fine motor skills, then Speech, although all of the above are obviously important. My 10 month old drinks from a beaker, she has never got the hang of sippy cups, and my god she ends up drenched ! I’ll have a look at yourcups they sound interesting. Good luck!

SaraAtBabycup Thu 24-Apr-14 08:33:45

Thank you EmmanuelWoganberry I really appreciate your reply.

Thank you also for the good luck wishes and for taking a look at Babycup. Here is a new review in case of interest: redeemedstories.com/2014/04/17/baby-cups-an-oxymoron/

smile

SaraAtBabycup Thu 24-Apr-14 15:11:53

Another wee bumpety bump.... smile

Forgettable Thu 24-Apr-14 15:21:53

What a great idea

I really like them

1 3 4 2 in order of preference for me

Take out ads in Nursery World, PACEY and other childcare type publications, early years practitioners could be a huge market?

SaraAtBabycup Thu 24-Apr-14 23:27:27

Hi Forgettable

Thank you so much for your lovely post.

Great to get thoughts on the order of priority for the health benefits and so pleased to read your encouraging comments. Thanks also for the magazine and eyp's suggestions.

Ideas and motivation very much appreciated!

Big thanks,

Sara

SaraAtBabycup Fri 25-Apr-14 11:03:36

Good morning. A polite little bump.

Wickedgirl Fri 25-Apr-14 22:40:44

I would place them in 3421

Two of my children had speech problems as toddlers so I would always put speech high on my list of things that are important.

Have you tried offering local toddler groups a couple to try?

LocalEditorOxford Fri 25-Apr-14 23:10:13

For me it would primarily be the benefit you don;t mention - easier cup feeding. DS wouldn't take a bottle and I could have really used the option of cup feeding, but could never find anything appropriate to do it with - I remember one occasion where Dh was desperately trying to feed DS with an egg cup whilst DS and I were both hysterically crying and painstakingly-expressed milk was going everywhere.

Just a thought!

For me it would be dental health first - my niece had to have teeth removed, under general anaesthetic, at five years old, having had bottle caries. That terrified me, so we're a no bottle no juice household.

Then it would be motor skills. Currently the only cups DD successfully drinks from are the smallest of her bathtime stacking cups, but they have holes in the bottom, so she still gets wet!

Then it would be orthodontics, again, in a prevention is better than cure way.

For us, speech & language would be last, only because having breastfed for 18 months, I think we're ahead of the curve on that, so feel fairly relaxed about it.

I think the cups are a lovely idea - we've all seen kids drinking out of shampoo lids etc, so it's nice to see appropriately sized actual cups!

SaraAtBabycup Fri 25-Apr-14 23:58:22

Thank you Wickedgirl, LocalEditorOxford and MummyWeatherwax

You are all brilliant and lovely! I am really grateful of your replies.

It really means a lot to get your comments. It's very interesting to see how different experiences change people's priorities and considerations.

Thanks Wickedgirl for the toddler group suggestion. I have been looking at nurseries but will also talk to toddler groups. Great idea. Will the speech problems be resolvable?

LocalEditorOxford Thank you for sharing. I am sorry you had such a tough time. I have had really good reviews from parents who have bought Babycup to solve the exact same difficult situation you went through. I somehow need to find a great way to spread the word about my little cups to help other people avoid the egg cup tribulations. I am really grateful to you for mentioning it.

Hi MummyWeatherwax Oh my word, your poor niece. Bottles, spouts, juice, raisin snacks - there are so many potential attacks on teeth. It's no wonder the figures for dental decay in children are scarily high. I am trying to get word out there to let people know that just a small change of moving to an open cup can make a big difference. It's great that you are no juice. We're also no juice these days. I use cooled fruit tea sometimes for something different to just water or milk. Funny about the stacking cups! I know the type you mean. Thankfully Babycup has no holes! Thanks also for the priority order of benefits and your lovely words.

Best wishes

Sara
Babycup
thanks

SaraAtBabycup Mon 28-Apr-14 12:09:21

Bump

spottydolphin Mon 28-Apr-14 12:13:59

Most important for me is reducing risk of rotting teeth because I have awful teeth myself so I'm really small about my children's dental health!

Love these little cups. We have very small glasses for our children which they've used frim a fairly early age but these look good for babies and much younger children

SaraAtBabycup Mon 28-Apr-14 12:26:16

Hi spottydolphin. Thank you for your reply about the dental priority.

Thanks also for your positive comments about Babycup. Much appreciated.

Best wishes

Sara

SaraAtBabycup Fri 02-May-14 09:42:58

Happy Friday! Bumpety bump smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now