mums-to-be workwear new online service

(16 Posts)
renug Sun 16-Mar-14 19:02:17

I am planning to setup a business venture to provide more work wear choices for mums-to-be at affordable price using an online service in UK. For this, i need your inputs with regards to the brands you use, reasons for considering those brands and if you feel there are sufficient options already available. Would love to hear from you...

whereisshe Thu 20-Mar-14 15:15:41

This is a VERY saturated market with some big players in it. Hope you have a solid business plan!

My maternity wear was mainly from Seraphine, Crave, H&M, New Look, Isabella Oliver, and secondhand from eBay. Selection was fine, my main complaint was the lack of decent non-bootcut trousers and the poor quality.

renug Sun 23-Mar-14 20:41:59

Thanks for your response, really appreciate it. What was your average spend on maternity work wear. At what stage in your pregnancy did you begin to purchase maternity clothes for work....would love to hear from you...thanks..

whereisshe Sun 23-Mar-14 23:01:13

I spent far more than I should have on maternity wear. No idea what the average was though, I suppose you can work it out from those brands.

I started wearing maternity clothes to work at about 24 weeks I suppose. But it was my first, I'll probably pop earlier if I have another. I bought it throughout because of the endless search for a decent pair of trousers.

Also, if you go through with it - no tents. It was so hard to get flattering tops and dresses that were snug over the bump rather than ballooned but still not tight on the bum (I'm not 18).

renug Sun 13-Apr-14 22:58:40

Thanks a lot for your inputs, very useful...would you prefer an online service or prefer to check the items in store prior to purchase? would love to hear more..

renug Sun 13-Apr-14 23:05:54

Dear mums, mums-to-be,

I am passionate about this new venture on mums-to-be workwear service in UK. Appreciate your inputs regarding your experience with shopping for maternity work wear..which brands did you use...reasons for considering those brands and if you feel there are sufficient options already available...eager to hear from you...thanks

TinyDiamond Fri 02-May-14 09:57:05

I hope you come back to this thread and see my response.
I found it really hard to find any maternity wear that I could wear to work really.
I am a teacher so need to be smart but I was 23 so needed it to be young and stylish too. Add to that I am short so needed it to be petite. I found pretty much nothing. In the end had to screw the smart and lived in asos jersey dresses and topshop black over bump leggings every day.

I had one decent pair of black trousers that I got from babes with babies and spent £60 on them. But even an xs was so massive I had to spend a further £10 getting them altered. So not great.

Over bump are more comfy than under. The only jeans I liked were the topshop skinnies but the elastic under bump band just didn't work for me at all.

I actually just ended up stretching out all my regular clothes as I found it too frustrating trying to buy new ones.

TinyDiamond Fri 02-May-14 09:57:42

Oh and I would prefer online but with free returns

TinyDiamond Fri 02-May-14 09:58:10

and a leg shortening service! Nowhere does petite!

renug Mon 05-May-14 23:56:34

Thank you tinydiamond for sharing your experience, i really appreciate it. I can relate your concerns regarding looking for alteration services and finding none with few friends of mine and it appears it is a common issue irrespective of where you are located jn UK. May i pls ask if you would prefer the same online service offering gently worn good quality maternity wear at low prices? And what was your total spend on maternity wear. Would love to hear from you..

TinyDiamond Tue 06-May-14 10:18:26

Yes I would def buy second hand for sure.

My total spend was probably around I guess £300. But as I say I only ended up with a handful of bits as just stretched out my existing stuff! This does not include any bras.

TinyDiamond Tue 06-May-14 10:19:43

I'll add my sis is currently 26 weeks and having a hard time finding stuff. Esp work wear

renug Sun 11-May-14 20:32:20

Thanks once again tinydiamond for your response. The feedback i have received so far on second hand workwear has been very positive. There is an online service in California www.thredup.com providing second hand designer brands at low cost and they provide both buy and sell options. Would you prefer something similar in UK? Would love to hear your and your sisters thoughts. I wish the best to your sister, i hope all goes well.

TinyDiamond Sun 11-May-14 21:43:43

It is something I would use in any future pregnancies yes. She has to dress much smarter than I do for work really. Like suits for meetings etc so I reckon she would use it. I do like to buy second hand when I can too, not totally a cost thing just less wasteful in my opinion.
I would also like the option of a nice range to buy new too though.

renug Sat 02-Aug-14 11:25:15

thanks a lot for your inputs tinydiamond, really appreciate it.

renug Sat 02-Aug-14 11:32:15

Dear Mums, mums-to-be,

I am working on a research project which is about providing online work wear service for maternity clothing in UK. To continue with this project, i need your inputs for my research. Would be great if you could spare few mins to fill this questionnaire...thanks...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oDH3FiI9JkomrC2rHJWqIeUe-VXapn9ZKrrQwBJpXN0/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

Appreciate your inputs, many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now