Childs play - psychology of play, can you help?

(5 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Emma4068 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:59:37

I am a 18 year old student who really needs your help. I am writing a assignment on the psychology of play and am attempting to evaluate different theories and approaches to play in the early years. I am interested in what you all think, the foot soilders as it were, those who observe children at play every day.
What does your child like to play ?
Does your child like role play/play pretend? If so what?
Do you think there are enough opportunities for children to play in this way?
Theory has it that it is through role play that children learn and develop, from observing your child would you agree?
Thanks mums (smile)

MiaowTheCat Tue 11-Mar-14 19:25:18

More than enough opportunities - we get it rammed down our necks with the importance of it every time we go to the local children's centre.

MummyRaptor Tue 11-Mar-14 21:06:55

My kids love to role play and copy the grown ups or each other. I think there's always opportunity providing there isn't screen stimulation - TV or computer. If one of them is on not only do they go over and sit down but apparently they can't hear me or speak! Good luck!

SanneSannes Wed 12-Mar-14 06:41:39

Both DC love it
There is plenty of opportunity as they seem to enjoy it most when they create their own setting/imaginary things, rather than being put in front of eg a role play kitchen
Id agree it helps their development, as they interact more actively with others, so would asume helps develop their social and language skills, but also creativity?

Fuzzymum1 Wed 12-Mar-14 11:22:17

My DS is 7 and loves role play - he spends a lot of his free time being a teacher - taking registers, setting maths problems, writing stories, creating lessons on powerpoint.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Mar-14 13:51:07

Hello

We've moved this to our non-member requests board and we will drop the OP a line to explain our rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now