Child Development GCSE Course Work Help Please!

(5 Posts)
Grace1399 Fri 07-Mar-14 16:39:10

Questionnaire- Childhood Illnesses
My name is Grace Howell and I am doing a GCSE in Child Development and as part of my course work I am researching childhood illnesses. For my primary research I need to do a survey to find out how parents look after and entertain their child when they are ill so I can use this in my booklet to recommend to parents how to look after and entertain an ill child. I would appreciate it if you could fill out my questionnaire, thank you.

1.How many children do you have?
…………………………………………………………………………………………

2.How old are they?
…………………………………………………………………………………………..

3.How would you entertain an ill child?

……………………………………………………………………………………….....

4.If your child thinks they are ill but don’t have a temperature and look fine do you?
oSend them to school/nursery
oLet them have a day off

5.If your child comes up in a small rash do you? (tick one)
oTake them straight to A&E
oLeave them for a few hours and then either book a doctor’s appointment or take them to A&E
oLeave it for a few days as it’s only small then decide what to do
oOther (write here)……………………………………………………………………………

6. How many common childhood illnesses, roughly, are you aware of?(tick one)
oNone
o1-5
o5-10
oMore than 10

7.How often does your child become ill?(tick one)
oOnce or twice a month
oEvery few months
oOnce or twice a year
oOther (write here)……………………………………………………………

8.What medicine do you give your child if they are ill?(can tick more than one)
oParacetamol (i.e. Calpol)
oIbuprofen (i.e. Nurofen)
oOther (write here)……………………………………………………………

HypodeemicNerdle Fri 07-Mar-14 18:26:19

Hi Grace, my responses

1 I have 3 children

2 they are 9, 7 and 3

3 entertainment wise depends on what is wrong with them and how ill they are, usually involves reading and cuddling up on the couch with DVDs. With a sick child it's usually normal rules out of the window while they are unwell, more tv than normal and eating what they fancy.

4 I trust my own intuition, if I think they are ok then they go into school with the understanding they can ask to come home again if they feel worse

5 small rash would be watched for any signs that it's worsening. I'd probably google it and show it to my mum!

6 more than 10

7 all kids pretty robust, once or twice a year for the older 2, little one gets more colds etc just because she hasn't been exposed to so much yet.

8 depends on illness, calpol for temperatures but they've also had antibiotics, steroids, inhalers and probably other things I've temporarily forgotten!

Hope that helps, good luck with your GCSE, I did child development myself many moons ago!

Grace1399 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:55:48

Thanks HypodeemicNerdle really appreciate it!

anchovies Sun 09-Mar-14 18:46:50

Hi Grace

My answers

1. 3
2. 5, 8, 10
3. Duvet and pillow on the sofa watching TV usually. My mum often stops by if they're poorly with a magazine and some of their favourite foods.
4. Usually send them to school unless they have other obvious signs of not being well. My youngest and oldest are easy to tell how they are feeling, my middle child often trys it on so is a bit more difficult!
5. I am now pretty good at identifying rashes so it depends. My eldest once had a viral infection where he had a meningitis type rash which resulted in a trip straight to the emergency doctors but other non-specific rashes I'll often leave alone.
6. More than 10
7. Every couple of months. They have all had problems with recurrent sore throats/earaches.
8.Paracetamol and ibuprofen alternately usually. Plus obviously anything that the dr has prescribed.

Hope that helps!

Acinonyx Tue 11-Mar-14 10:19:37

1.How many children do you have?
…………………………………………………………………………………………

2.How old are they?

3.How would you entertain an ill child?

Sofa, pillow, duvet. Probably a lot of TV/DVDs. If well enough - magazines and pc games. Playing cards and easy games.

4.If your child thinks they are ill but don’t have a temperature and look fine do you?
oSend them to school/nursery
oLet them have a day off

I definitely send her to school.

5.If your child comes up in a small rash do you? (tick one)
oTake them straight to A&E
oLeave them for a few hours and then either book a doctor’s appointment or take them to A&E
oLeave it for a few days as it’s only small then decide what to do
oOther (write here)…Leave it for at least a day - she gets rashes very easily (some kids do). IT would need to be 2-3 days and maybe some other symptoms.

6. How many common childhood illnesses, roughly, are you aware of?(tick one)
oNone
o1-5
o5-10
oMore than 10

5-10

7.How often does your child become ill?(tick one)
oOnce or twice a month
oEvery few months
oOnce or twice a year
oOther (write here) maybe once a year with a nasty cough/cold.

8.What medicine do you give your child if they are ill?(can tick more than one)
oParacetamol (i.e. Calpol) Yes
oIbuprofen (i.e. Nurofen) YEs
oOther (write here)……maybe extra vit C………………………………………………………

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now