This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

DEGREE STUDENT LOOKING FOR HELP & ADVICE RE DANCE CLASSES FOR CHILDREN [title edited by MNHQ]

(32 Posts)
hayley92 Mon 17-Feb-14 14:28:49

Hello

I was just wondering whether i could receive some help?

I am at university and currently doing my final module where i am writing and researching into

'How dance can enhance the development of a childs confidence and creativity?'

I would like to get some feedback as i can reference your opinions to support the existing theories out there. It would be so helpful and i would really appreciate it if you could help me. If you could reply with your honest opinion..has your child ever participated in a dance class and have you seen a difference in their behaviour and mannerisms or does your child do dance at school within wake up shake programmes enhancing the use of kinaesthetic learning (learning through movement) and any other information or opinions you have on this matter.

Thankyou smile

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 16:06:57

and i am not 'extremely rude' just opinionated what is wrong with that?
'extremely rude' would be ///you////%%4*&()%^$£"!^&&&

BackforGood Mon 17-Feb-14 16:04:56

I can't see that people have been rude here. People have been very constructive in letting you know that you can't write a dissertation based on a vague question - without qualifying criteria - posed to strangers on the internet. I'd have thought it would be helpful to know that now, rather than once you've handed it in.
I am though, surprised that if you are getting to dissertation stage, you didn't know that already.

southeastastra Mon 17-Feb-14 15:45:55

ime mn blows hot and cold with students looking for help with research. I did suggest ages ago that students could have their own topic as it's hard to know what the right way to go about it is on here.

btw op twitter may be useful too.

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 15:32:18

well as I earn my living reading through dissertations and theses, I thought you might find my input valuable, along with other advice here, if you want to get a good mark. never mind though, carry on as you were.

hayley92 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:29:03

You are extremely rude i am just a student looking at as many different ways possible to gain some opinions on my given question, whether it works or not no need to be this abrupt unhelpful and ill mannered. This is an open chat if you have nothing constructive to say why replying writing to people.

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 15:20:55

well if you have done some 'proper research' already, then you would know that asking randomers on the internet vague questions would not count!

hayley92 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:19:17

As previously stated i am doing proper research this was just an idea to gain some more opinions based on the matter which could correlate against current theoretical views. But never mind.

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 15:18:05

i take my studies very seriously
well do some proper research then!

hayley92 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:17:16

Thankyou NomDeClavier I appreciate that smile

Anonymai Mon 17-Feb-14 15:16:40

I wasn't making a joke at your expense. A serious student would not reference an online forum. You can't guarantee honest opinions or get a good idea of who is responding. It could be the same person under multiple names or anything.

Blatherskite Mon 17-Feb-14 15:14:54

Mumsnet is not just full of Mums - especially at half term! - you could get some very 'unsuitable' answers!

hayley92 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:14:47

Wow.

Okay i looked on to here for a matter of opinion as I have seen many students on here do so before.

I am not 'milking' people on here for ideas and i am truly insulted that you think this i take my studies very seriously and wanted to incorporate as much research as i could and i was hoping to use some honest opinions from people who use this website to discuss matters.

However if i got the point of this website mistaken then i apologise but at least other people have pointed this out constructively. I am trying as many different research methods as i can to formulate a thorough and theoretical dissertation this is not my only point of research its one of many. So i would appreciate if you stop the jokes made at my expense when all i am trying to do is try and gain as much research as possible.

NomDeClavier Mon 17-Feb-14 15:11:08

Not only is it lazy but you have no idea what capacity someone is answering in on this thread. It's a magnet for Uni tutors rather than parents interested in dance. You need that data to be able to evaluate your answers. No one s going to put on here their child's age, how long they participated in a class, what kind of class it was.... You haven't defined confidence or creativity. It just isn't going to fly.

I love mixed methods research but honestly you're better advertising for people to fill in a survey and the participate in a focus group or semi structured interview to get participants you don't know, otherwise your research is essentially going to be something like 'my friend and fellow students said this when I asked them detailed questions and a bunch of Internet randoms said this when I asked them one broad question'

What you could do is contact MNHQ and ask their permission to search the site for threads on dance classes and see what people have said there about confidence and creativity. I used posts as part of an essay on the way people speak and interact on the Internet compared to real life, having considered the ethics of it and got permission.

southeastastra Mon 17-Feb-14 15:08:17

seems you have caught some on here in an arsey mood op wink

southeastastra Mon 17-Feb-14 15:07:31

plenty of students post in chat for help, i don't see many that pay!

Weliveinabeautifulworld Mon 17-Feb-14 15:07:15

Sure Start centres often have classes like "Funky Monkeys" (dance for toddlers)- you can try contacting them and seeing what they have to say.

Anonymai Mon 17-Feb-14 15:06:39

Yeah, I think OP hasn't actually begun the work and was hoping she could milk people on here for ideas.

EduCated Mon 17-Feb-14 15:03:40

If you've done a questionnaire, then that should have canvassed a wide range of people.

For this to be ethical, you also need to tell us exactly who you are, the purpose of the research, and how the findings may be used. You need people to be able to give informed consent.

As said above, this is not an appropriate method of data gathering if you intend to use responses within your dissertation.

hayley92 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:02:58

thankyou empressofthewelloflostplots smile

il try that

hayley92 Mon 17-Feb-14 15:01:31

Well i just thought it would be nice to hear as many views as possible on the matter to be able to discuss existing methodologys further. It would be ethnographical as i am taking into consideration a persons honest view but ok.

It's also not the correct way to approach the site -you need to post in Non-media requests and pay the fee.

There are plenty of parents on here with children who dance so probably plenty of good material, if you go the right way to accessing it.

LoopyDoopyDoo Mon 17-Feb-14 15:01:13

Surveymonkey. Will take 10 mins to sort and we'll all be a lot happier about it �� promise you I'll fill it in if you do a proper survey.

Anonymai Mon 17-Feb-14 14:59:16

"Mums". hmm

How will you reference us or our opinions as per your OP? We could be theorists. We aren't all mums. You don't even know if we are real. I could make up a child. Little Jeffery loves his dance class. It makes him so creative. Can you reference that even though he's fictional?

It's a bit lazy.

HyvaPaiva Mon 17-Feb-14 14:57:02

I haven't misunderstood. You said as i can reference your opinions. You can't. You can't casually ask random people on Mumsnet and then reference them. It's neither ethical nor methodological.

NigellasDealer Mon 17-Feb-14 14:56:32

yes but ........ if you want your work to receive a good mark then this will not work, even if it is just 'mums'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now