This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Male midwives.

(57 Posts)
sammiic Sun 09-Feb-14 10:46:38

Would anyone please game a quick survey for me? It's to help with a debate in one of my lectures. It will take you a minute to do.

Tia

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MR9N8VK

ZenNudist Sun 09-Feb-14 11:16:41

Link?

MothratheMighty Sun 09-Feb-14 11:25:51

That link doesn't work even when c&p into google.
You need to make a clickable link if you are going to get any responses.smile

sammiic Sun 09-Feb-14 11:54:48

Hi I'm really sorry thought that would work hope this one does.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 <a href="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MR9N8VK">Click here to take survey</a>\
}

sammiic Sun 09-Feb-14 11:56:22

x-post :-)

Shallishanti Sun 09-Feb-14 12:03:37

Done.
As I mentioned there, and will repeat here for the sake of discussion I have worked alongside some excellent male midwives- they are just as capable of being woman-centred - just as some female midwives are insensitive and mechanistic. I appreciate for some it's culturally unacceptable, but barring that I would suggest men are just as capable of giving good care.

CouthyMow Sun 09-Feb-14 12:05:12

In my 3-day labour with DS1, I had a male midwife. Wasn't an issue. Tbh I don't think I would have cared if a monkey was my MW by that point...

Freshstart2014 Sun 09-Feb-14 12:09:35

dome . I had a male midwife when in labour with my 2nd ds and he was amazing !! smile

WinterDrawsOff Sun 09-Feb-14 12:14:55

Survey done. I wouldn't let a male midwife anywhere near me. I'm sure there are lots of caring ones out there, but I would decline the care of a male midwife and a male doctor.

MothratheMighty Sun 09-Feb-14 12:16:50

Done.
One of the MW I had second time was female, her attitude was unacceptable to me and I refused treatment from her. Loudly and firmly. grin
Done care if they are male or female, depends on the personality.

Shallishanti Sun 09-Feb-14 12:21:12

why, winterdrawsoff?

PenguinsDontEatKale Sun 09-Feb-14 12:21:25

I would not have an issue with a male midwife for any of my care.

Winterdraws - Obviously with a midwife a preference not to be allocated a man can pretty much always be accommodated. But how would you refuse care from a male doctor in labour? That may be the only doctor that a hospital can provide. Many times literally the only doctors on the ward may be male. Would you only refuse a male if a female doctor could be provided, or would you literally refuse medical care?

eurochick Sun 09-Feb-14 12:28:03

As I said on your other thread, the survey doesn't cater for the attitudes of women expecting their first baby (the second question has no 0 option).

MothratheMighty Sun 09-Feb-14 12:29:55

Winter might have personal, historical reasons for feeling unhappy about being intimately cared for by a male.
I don't, but I do think it's a factor that should be considered when providing care.

PenguinsDontEatKale Sun 09-Feb-14 12:32:53

Mothra - I can understand that. I can fully sympathise with women with personal histories that mean care by a male is difficult. But one of the issues that come up time and time again on threads with women in that position is that refusing care by any male doctor may simply amount to totally refusing medical care as there may not be an option of a female doctor. That's why I was asking.

MothratheMighty Sun 09-Feb-14 12:44:17

Well, sometimes that's the choice you make. Until there is equal access to professionals of both genders at all levels. People still have the right to refuse care in most circumstances.

PenguinsDontEatKale Sun 09-Feb-14 12:47:53

I'm not disagreeing with that. I was just asking whether that was the case for Winterdraws.

PenguinsDontEatKale Sun 09-Feb-14 13:07:46

Actually OP, this is something you might want to think about for your debate.

There is a category of women who will be uncomfortable (can't think of a better word, but to the point of simply being unable to cope with) with any medical care, or any medical care bar life threatening emergency, from a man.

That is rather different from those who accept and are comfortable with male doctors but not male midwives. This latter group might be more likely to adapt if the cultural norms changed.

If you do a small survey like this, you probably won't know how many women fall into each group and therefore what type of issue with male midwives you are dealing with.

Armadale Sun 09-Feb-14 13:14:12

I have done it. I would be uncomfortable with a male MW, due to a past issue of abuse that is personal to me. Not a cultural or religious thing for me.

IDoBelieveInFairiesIDoIDo Sun 09-Feb-14 13:24:45

No problem at all with male hcps as long as they have a caring demeanor. I will be pretty disparaging of anyone attempting to give me breast feeding advice if they haven't breastfed. This obviously excludes men grin.

WinterDrawsOff Sun 09-Feb-14 13:57:35

The reason that I would be very uncomfortable with male HCP caring for me, stems from the birth of my first DC. Without boring you all with the details, I was so cruelly treated that I chose to freebirth my other 3 DC. That was the only way I could control who touched me. I am a nurse and so I felt confident in making that decision. I would fully support the choices of other women, but I would still resist the care of male HCP.

PenguinsDontEatKale Sun 09-Feb-14 14:01:53

How awful Winter.sad

RandomMess Sun 09-Feb-14 14:05:16

Survey done.

I've had a male midwife and he was great. I think so much would depend on their bedside manner, sensitivity to patient etc. Have had some shockingly poor female midwives though....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now