This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Supply Teachers and Quality Standards

(6 Posts)
MEDIA: Traceybluesky Mon 16-Dec-13 12:08:39

How much do you know about how supply teachers are vetted? -Sure they are obviously checked out from a safeguarding point of view but who monitors their quality? Permanent teachers in schools are obviously judged by their Leadership Team and by OFSTED but what about supply staff?

Since the DfE closed their quality mark scheme last year there has been no independently audited quality standard to which the suppliers of temporary teaching staff have to adhere to.

So: two questions:

Should the suppliers of temporary school staff have to pass an independent audit to show that the teaching staff that they supply are up to scratch - thus giving the school some comfort that they are getting the best?

Would it be a good idea for the recruitment agencies who supply these staff to work in partnership with schools to get an evaluation post placement - this could then be fed into am "evlauation passport" that the supply teacher builds up over time and which can ensure that they are placed in the right setting thus driving up standards?

I would welcome all thoughts and opinions - and an apology to those members who felt that I was out of line by posting this on the education thread. I am a parent but accept that as this is research for a piece I am writing it should have been posted here. I am new to this site and didn't realise blush

TinyDiamond Wed 25-Dec-13 01:10:41

Oh hello. Sorry your old thread got deleted. I was on it. I still think you're barking up the wrong tree. Can you tell me a bit about who you think will subscribe to your service? is it the school or the agency? I am confused about it.

BackforGood Wed 25-Dec-13 01:26:51

No - after all, who is going to be evaluating these lessons ?
IME, good supply teachers are recognised by the schools and asked for by name, and any that are poor are specifically mentioned by the school that they don't want them. More often than not there is a member of staff from the school in some lessons with them anyway, and other staff passing by / close enough to pick up vibes if all is not well if not. No need to put any further levels of assessment in.
This is in Primary. Sadly in secondary the supply teacher is dying out - classes as given a "cover supervisor" instead most of the time.

ninah Wed 25-Dec-13 01:30:38

have you spoken to supply agencies? as far as I know they monitor through feedback from schools and STs, without need for an additional layer of beaurocracy, I could be wrong though

TinyDiamond Wed 25-Dec-13 01:31:22

^ exactly. There is no money in this.

SilverApples Wed 25-Dec-13 01:35:03

'evlauation passport'

Oh yes, we must be certain that our grammar and spelling are both accurate and checked meticulously. Shoddiness cannot be tolerated.
If you are crap, the school doesn't invite you back, and many schools ask the class teacher to give an evaluation of how the ST performed, based on work covered and marked and classroom management. TAs have an input too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now