What influences people’s choices on breast feeding and bottle feeding?

(23 Posts)
poppingcandyqueen69 Tue 12-Nov-13 16:03:27

I am a year 2 college student studying Child Care and for one of my units i need to make a research task on 'breast feeding and bottle feeding'. My hypothesis is - "What influences people’s choices on breast feeding and bottle feeding?" so i thought this would be a good place to start my research task.

What influenced you to either breast feed or bottle feed your children, and what where the pro's and con's you found about doing it?

thanks

tiktok Tue 12-Nov-13 16:04:02

Reported your post - the boards are not for student assignments, sorry.

poppingcandyqueen69 Tue 12-Nov-13 16:27:05

Considering I am not a parent myself, but interested in this subject, I thought this would be one of the best places to turn for information and advice from experienced parents. My teacher advised myself and other students to come here. I don't think it's an awful place to come.

whereisthewitch Tue 12-Nov-13 16:30:55

OP if you look through the threads under this topic you will find all the bunfights info you need. Never mind the rude poster who reported you, I too did a similar project in school.

Good luck

Aquariusgirl86 Tue 12-Nov-13 16:33:46

Think you can find info on here but feel free to message me if you want grin

tiktok Tue 12-Nov-13 16:37:27

whereisthewitch - the boards are not for student assignments or surveys....that's in the Talk guidelines. I was not being rude.

There are very good reasons why the boards are for parents seeking help and information and support from each other, and not for surveys.

OP - your teacher should read the guidelines before sending you to Mumsnet to ask people to help you with the research.

Nothing stops you from reading the boards, though - good luck with your assignment.

PatoBanton Tue 12-Nov-13 16:38:34

It's better than coming here pretending to be a parent and asking the same questions. Many students do that.

MNHQ has a policy where using the boards for research or marketing or journalistic content carries a fee.

I think this ought to be more discretionary, personally, so I don't report student threads however I do report those by journos etc

They have to be seen to be fair

They may have good reasons for disallowing student research, contact them and ask but in the meanwhile you can indeed find a lot of info on here just by looking in advanced search.

PatoBanton Tue 12-Nov-13 16:39:18

x posts.

NoTeaForMe Tue 12-Nov-13 16:39:22

Lots of students do this-don't worry.

For me I chose to breastfeed because it's meant to be the best start you can give your baby, health wise. I went quite quickly on to mix feeding with my first because of the pain and getting mastitis so early on. It was never perfect really. With my second I started breastfeeding again and it's been fine, so 6 months in I'm just introducing bottles for a break. I will be stopping in the next few weeks though.

Do ask if there's anything else.

whereisthewitch Tue 12-Nov-13 16:40:20

Tiktok there was no need to be so harsh about it, you could have explained it much the way I did by referring her to previous threads or indeed your last post.

I read your post as rude and it's obvious that OP did too.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 12-Nov-13 16:40:26

It was need that led to my decision with dd1 to formula feed.
It clearly wasn't working and a baby is such a precious gift I just didn't see the point of not enjoying it and not being able to do things and show her the outside world. That's hard to do when your glued to the sofa feeding constantly and in so much pain.

I tried and failed to breast feed. I expressed for a whole after I stopped.

The pros were obviously being able to get out and about, to enjoy my baby , have a satisfied happy baby. Cons were obviously cost and the sense of fAilure.

tiktok Tue 12-Nov-13 16:42:30

where.....I was brief and to the point - not harsh! Sometimes brevity is seen as rudeness, I grant you, unforch for me!

whereisthewitch Tue 12-Nov-13 16:43:27

Well we can agree to disagree on that smile

Bambamb Tue 12-Nov-13 16:49:50

There was no decision for me, I always would have breastfed, I think because my Mum breastfed myself and brother. Also because it just seems a no brainer, to not breastfeed would've been like not growing the baby in my own womb.

Add in to the mix all the info thrown at you about the health benefits and I never considered anything else.

I was very lucky to never suffer a cracked nipple or mastitis once in the 2 years I breastfed DS for, it never occurred to me that I would. Fingers crossed I am as lucky next time!

Andcake Tue 12-Nov-13 16:51:21

there is a good thread today on 'paid to breastfeed' which covers this subject and should be helpful

personally i wanted to bf - had huge problems as baby wouldn't feed and lost weight - ended up mix feeding by pumpingas baby ended up being fed by a tube in hospital
i think alot of mums just need support not being lectured about it - the practicalities are a lot harder than people imagine for many and there are alot of preachy people not really being supportive - you'll notice the type on many threads.

poppingcandyqueen69 Tue 12-Nov-13 16:52:19

thank you everyone that has given me their stories and opinions, it has helped a lot!
sorry to the people who thought i have done wrong by making this post, i just thought it would be a perfect place to find information for my assignment.

milktraylady Tue 12-Nov-13 17:04:31

Op read the threads in the breast bottle feeding section. People only post if they have problems.

This should give you an idea of the barriers to bf that many face. And so the slippery slope to bottle feeding that many encounter.

Tiktok is correct, you can't do this research here.

And fwiw we are lucky we have her helping out as a bf advisor (sorry tiktok don't know your exact qualifications)

TicTacZebra Tue 12-Nov-13 17:06:01

The health benefits were the main reason I breastfed both of my children. I don't really like breastfeeding and am quite embarrassed about it really, as everyone I know formula feeds. People think it's weird. I still breastfeed my 2 year old and 3 month old.

The pros - it's free, the health benefits, I'm too lazy to wash/sterilise bottles every day, I get more sleep because I don't need to get out of bed to feed, breastfeeding helped me lose all the baby weight quickly, milk is the right temperature ect,

Cons- you can't drink much alcohol, if your baby doesn't take a bottle you can't leave it for very long, you have to do all the night feeds.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons though. It was an easy decision to make for me. PM me if there's anything else you want to know.

lola1980 Tue 12-Nov-13 17:11:02

I didn't even consider giving formula. Breastfeeding is the best for your baby, if you can manage it. I've had numerous problems though, sore nipples, mastitis etc. Breastfeeding is not easy and it has to be learned, support is essential, as is perseverance, but it's definitely worth the effort (not least because I'm quite lazy and can't be arsed to fanny about sterilising stuff)

NCISaddict Tue 12-Nov-13 17:30:49

Sheer laziness made me breastfeed, I couldn't see myself making up bottles, warming them in the middle of the night and being ultra careful over hygiene. I did lose all the baby weight (and I had put on a huge amount) and, unexpectedly my baby slept through the night from 8 weeks old. The next two were not quite as considerate but managed it by 3 and four months.

shockers Tue 12-Nov-13 17:31:58

I breastfed my first son because it would never have occurred to me to do otherwise. I am the eldest of three and I watched my mother breastfeed both of my two siblings into their second year.

I bottle fed my youngest because he is adopted. I was gutted not to be able to breastfeed (we had him from the day he was born), but it stopped me from judging other mums who didn't... something I'm afraid was guilty of before.

ExBrightonBell Tue 12-Nov-13 18:20:26

Hmm. Do you want to know about people's intentions before the baby is born, or what they start doing, or where they end up? As you can see from peoples comments, they can be very different. Also, all you will get from this will be anecdote (or qualitative information if you prefer). I do hope you are doing some formal data collection alongside this.

Fwiw, I always intended to ebf. To me it was the most obvious logical choice - it is provably better for babies and for mothers, and costs nothing.

However, my ds and I were poorly immediately after birth - he was in SCBU and I was in no state to express. So he eventually had some formula until I was able to start expressing. We left hospital essentially mixed feeding. Over the next few weeks we managed to move to exclusively breast feeding and dropped the formula. It was extremely challenging to do this as we encountered many problems along the way. However I am extremely stubborn and bloody minded and so would not have stopped unless it was medically required. I now intend to feed to 2yrs as per the WHO recommendations.

MrsMarigold Thu 14-Nov-13 10:58:10

I always intended to breastfeed my DS but I found it impossible, I tried to persevere but he was very fussy and didn't latch well. First few days were ok - then on Day 3 when my milk came in he developed bad jaundice and was readmitted to hospital. Everyone was telling me to bf him but he was too tired and floppy - at one point there were five people poking my breasts and then making me express. I maintain this really put me off.

My husband told everyone to leave and we gave my son a 40ml cup of aptamil. He started to improve. Anyway I kept trying but at 6 weeks he was tiny and the Paed said "he isn't really thriving is he?" I sobbed my eyes out. Anyway he also had terrible nappy rash from week one, I just assumed all babies got nappy rash and didn't realise a raw bleeding bottom was not normal. He also had traces of blood in his poos. My DM came to stay and insisted I took him to A&E - he had a milk protein allergy so he then moved onto mixed feeding with special formula (Nutramigen) and I cut out dairy from my diet (really hard yoghurt is my favourite food) - finally at 4 months I gave up bf completely. But I hated it and still feel guilty, my son aged 2.5 still has nutramigen but only because he likes it he has outgrown his milk protein allergy. He really thrived after I switched to mixed feeding.

My DD is 15 months younger than DS and I was determined to bf her - we got off to a good start but I hated bfing. Also with two children under two I had no time to be sterilising bottles. In the early days my DD lost lots of weight too and was also readmitted to hospital with jaundice, but as I was leaving the hospital a consultant saw her screaming and spotted that she was tongue tied - she had it snipped. In those first few weeks we had more mixed feeding and she had lots of bottles but around six weeks I got used to bfing. I stopped giving even occasional bottles and she became exclusively bf. She has no milk protein allergy. I tried to get her back onto a bottle at six months but she refused and still won't have one she now drinks cows milk out of a cup and bf twice daily and sometimes at night. I would love to stop but it is very hard, I like it now and in the dead of night it is easiest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now