This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Single parents - What financial issues do you face? What help is available?

(3 Posts)
MEDIA: Harriet Meyer Wed 30-Oct-13 09:43:19

I am writing a feature for The Observer on the financial issues single parents face given the soaring numbers across the UK. What help is there available? What advice would you give? This will also detail government help (and changes to childcare voucher scheme).
Also seeking case study of single parent willing to be photographed and talk about their financial stresses.

Solasum Wed 30-Oct-13 09:52:15

I am expecting a baby on my own, so have nothing to say yet, but will be very interested to read your article!

LineRunner Wed 30-Oct-13 09:52:52

A massive issue is obtaining child support from the non resident parent, and how hard it can be to get via the CSA - this comes up time and time again on the boards on MN.

I now do get child support, including arrears, and it has made a massive difference financially. When my husband (ex) left us, my earning potential dropped like a stone as I had to do everything and he did nothing, because he could.

My kids are now teenagers and I dread the point at which everything suddenly stops - child benefit, child tax credit, child support - and yet I am expected to support them through university.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now