This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Subjects needed for Telegraph Weekend magazine - steamy/sexy Mumsnet threads - what do you think?

(176 Posts)
MEDIA: Rebecca Holman Tue 29-Oct-13 11:35:48

Hi there,
I'm a freelance journalist and I'm writing an article for this week's Telegraph Weekend magazine. I'm looking for Mumsnet users who would be willing to talk to me about Sexy/steamy Mumsnet threads and how you feel about them. Maybe you love them, regularly participate and would like to tell me why Mumsnet is such a great place to come for judgement free sex advice? Or maybe you think it's not the place at all and are actually quite offended by them? Also, would be great to get your thoughts on the penis beaker thread! You can get in touch on rebeccaaholman@gmail.com or via my website www.rebecca-holman.co.uk.

You can be anonymous if you're feeling bashful, and if you want to check out some of my work before getting in touch, I'm here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/rebecca-holman/

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!

HoneyDragon Tue 29-Oct-13 11:48:00

Just a thought. Have you looked around at ALL the other stuff you could talk about?

Yes - isn't it rather lazy journalism to be jumping on this bandwagon?

You could talk about the women who are supported to escape abusive relationships. Or whose lives have been saved - quite literally - by MNers diagnosing possibly serious medical conditions online and urging them to get help NOW. Or the Woolly Huggers, who knit blankets for bereaved families, stillborn babies and children with cancer. Or is all that too boring?

And if you want a cuddly angle, look at the lost toy threads where kids have been brokenhearted at losing their favourites and MNers have helped to track down duplicates.

None of that's going to have men leering like the idea of all these mums discussing sex though is it?

I really hope nobody comes back with any examples for this - I thought the Telegraph was meant to be an intelligent paper.

BOF Tue 29-Oct-13 13:02:06

There are basically three types of sex talk on here:

a) funny threads because we like a laugh as much as other human beings

b) serious threads asking for advice, like you find in many magazines and newspapers

c) puerile ones looking for cheap thrills after there have been articles in the media and we get a rash of visitors thinking "OMG LAYDEEEZ TALKING ABOUT RUDEY THINGS!!!"

We like a) and b), c), not so much.

That's it really.

yawn Lazy, lazy journalism. I bet it's right next to a "What's happening on twitter this week" feature. Dull, dull, dull.

StainlessSteelBegonia Tue 29-Oct-13 13:11:04

This is a mainly anonymous internet forum populated mainly by women. Most of us are parents. That doesn't mean we are all women, or even all parents.

Due to the diversity of members, Mumsnet contains conversations about nearly everything. It's pretty easy to avoid the topics you're not interested in. Personally, I don't have a dog so I don't read the Dog House threads. I am not mortally offended by the presence of dog owners and their conversations.

There are conversations about sex, love, parenting, politics, work, clothes, culture, schools, pets, feminism, fitness, property, religion and probably a few dozen more things that I haven't noticed.

Only a complete numpty would get their knickers in a twist over a few conversations about sex.

YoniTime Tue 29-Oct-13 13:12:02

I would like to ask you why this type of "omg mums on MN are naughty" articles is a trend right now, why do we need another one, and are you aware how much people on MN dislike them? I suggest you write about Woolly Hugs instead.

Yes. Here's the link to the Woolly Hugs topic.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/woolly_hugs

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 29-Oct-13 13:17:14

Couldn't you look at some current threads where MN contributors are doing their best to support real people with very real and desperate issues.

OhAntiChristFENTON Tue 29-Oct-13 13:18:59

We like rude limericks too you know.

oh and what BOF said.

That's all.

CMOTDibbler Tue 29-Oct-13 13:19:42

You could be different and do an article on ' you've heard about the smut, but heres the other face of MN' on the good things that happen here on a daily basis.
I realised this week that for 6 years I'd been thinking about Peter and his heart transplant. MN has made me aware of so many things, and what Expat and MrsDeVere have shared about their dds treatment amazed me.

Where else can you come for support on everything that affects women? I can advice daily on looking after my elderly ill patients, but also about my 7 year old son, my dog, sometimes the best tights to wear, and dealing with chronic pain. And sometimes some smut! Just like having a million friends who almost never judge, and always give you a straight, honest answer.

kim147 Tue 29-Oct-13 13:21:43

Are you going to come on afterwards to talk about it?
Just like Tom Peck did.

Lazy journalism.

You could look at the AARSE website and see what soldiers talk about.

stubbornstains Tue 29-Oct-13 13:23:30

Mumsnet is just a distillation of all the things that women talk about in RL. Do you never discuss sex with your friends? I'm trying to work out who on earth would actually work themselves into a frenzy over the idea that women talk about sex. This whole thing is just completely manufactured by journalists.

FYI, I think my favourite ever MN thread was about the London Underground. Or hang on, was it the one about just how generally awesome Ordnance Survey maps are? Or there's been a great one recently about cultural differences between the UK and US, with some really interesting stuff getting thrown up.....oh sorry, would focusing on our actual interests make it more difficult to stereotype us? angry

TheLeastAccomplishedBennetGirl Tue 29-Oct-13 13:25:11

I've been posting on MN all day asking about how to help my adult DS, information about successful relocation with my DD who is autistic, support for losing weight in a positive and healthy way and other stuff.

Just to satisfy the lazy journos (and also my insatiable sexual appetite) I've done this with a massive rubber Dildo up my arse and strapped one on so I can Roger DH senseless at the same time. All about the equality, me.

RunFatGirlRun Tue 29-Oct-13 13:29:03

Oh come on. What everyone else said.

I appreciate the need to get an article out that reflects on 'current news'* but can't you invert it, and say - look, here's a thread where a woman's getting help leaving her abusive DH, here's a thread where someone's getting expert legal advice on employment issues, here's an intelligent, funny, incisive argument about politics, here's a Woolly Hugs thread.

Then you'd a) be reflecting what MN is actually about and b) publish a piece that's not basically an exact replica of fifteen other ones this week.

*As if 'women have sex' is news, but whatever.

Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 13:29:32

Are we only supposed to talk about nappies, weaning anf potty training? This is pretty offensive actually.

Would you go on a site of mainly fathers and write an article about how they talk about sex sometimes? I suspect not.

LurcioLovesFrankie Tue 29-Oct-13 13:29:53

You know, when asked as a freelance journo, you can say "no" to requests. If you think you're just being asked to jump on a bandwagon, or do something distasteful, or do some meaningless piece of fluff which won't exactly enhance your future career prospects, it's always an option. Honestly, "mums talk about sex" is not exactly earth shattering - how the hell do you think most of us (barring IVF/AI) got to be mums in the first place? You're not exactly going to win a Pullitzer for this, are you?

Anyone else think that's what they have planned for the accompanying pic? Middle aged woman with ipad in one hand and dildo in the other, with sleeping baby in background?

hmm

They'll be wanting HQ to do "tasteful, intimate" photo shoots next. It's ridiculous.

Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 13:32:10

Maybe you could write an article about how the media focus on this is based on sexism?

YoniTime Tue 29-Oct-13 13:34:32

Grennie has a good idea, listen to her smile

poorbuthappy Tue 29-Oct-13 13:34:41

I too am feeling lazy today, so will just say - what everyone else said.

HTH

mums have sex - shocker

BIWI Tue 29-Oct-13 13:37:16

I think the message is fairly clear, Rebecca grin

Find out what Mumsnet is really about before you start on the salacious stuff. You do us a great disservice if you don't.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Your website says you write about feminism (as well as about women shagging their bosses, older women fancying Harry Styles, and whether women can be friends with love rats). So yes, Grennie has a great feminist angle there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now