Cyber-bulling - have your kids been affected? BBC Newsround looking for case studies.

(1 Post)
MEDIA: user4177 Mon 21-Oct-13 14:36:06

My name is Katie and I work for the CBBC Children's news programme Newsround.

I am making a programme about the effects cyber-bullying has on young people, and I would like to hear from anyone whose child has been the victim of online bullying.

This can be anything from receiving nasty text messages, abuse through Facebook and other forms of social media, or comments on gaming websites like Xbox live or similar.

Ideally, I’d like to hear from parents with children aged 13 and under who have had experience of their child being bullied online.

I understand this is an extremely sensitive issue, and you might be cautious about putting your child forward. Newsround is extremely sensitive in the way we approach and work with children and we take into account the welfare of the child first. If there is any doubt in our minds the child shouldn’t be taking part, we wouldn’t film with them.

There has been a growing trend of kids being bullied online and Newsround wants to highlight the problem and give kids the courage to speak out against it and ask for help if they are the victims of online abuse by making a special documentary programme about it.

Our Newsround Specials focus on sensitive topics and in the past have covered Bullying, Domestic Violence, Alcoholism, Living with Cancer and Hard Times during a recession. We often use animation and do offer anonymity to children who would like to take part but don't want to reveal their identity. If you'd like to have a look at our previous specials, please copy and post the link below into your browser. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/13948446

Our specials are so widely received because we tackle sensitive matters head on, and we hear from children and young people themselves.

I would love to hear from anyone who has an experience to share with me, however big or small.

If you would like to speak to me directly about this, please contact me on katie.bailey@bbc.co.uk and we can arrange a time to speak over the phone and go from there.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Katie Bailey

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now