Research participants who've been struck by lightning needed for proposed academic study.

(10 Posts)
MEDIA: OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 20-Sep-13 15:01:01

Lots of you will know me from the weather part of mn. I've asked mnhq whether I can pose this question a bit more formally as it is potentially going to form part of of an ongoing research project into lightning strikes in the UK. Your mn name will not be included in any conclusions. If you respond I might pm you asking whether you are happy to share your information with a member from TORRO and also for more specific location and time information. You are very welcome at any point to tell me to 'bog off' and you obviously don't have to share anything you don't want to.

Every year there are somewhere in the region of 30-60 reports of people in the UK being injured by lightning. About half of them occur outdoors and half occur indoors. Indoor strikes tend to hit people on
the phone, computer, using electrical appliances, through the window or using plumbing. Sometimes there are other mechanisms too. Outdoor strikes are often people under trees or farm workers, but not always.

I reckon this number of reports is probably an underestimate. Most indoor strikes result in very minor injuries - perhaps some temporary redness or tingling or numbness. It might just provoke an 'ouch! what the hell was that?' reaction with no other consequences and therefore not get reported. As some of you know I have links to and we are interested in what the true number of people being really struck is. So I'm doing a very unscientific straw poll - 'Have you or anyone you know ever been struck by lightning - whether as a direct hit or indirectly? If so what happened?'

Thank you smile

digerd Sat 21-Sep-13 06:39:38

My MIL 's phone wire flew out of the wall with a bang. Only minor damage but major shock. Telephone had to be replaced.

Thanks for replying digerd smile that must have really given her a fright! I take it she wasnt on it? Did she know what had been struck?

AnyaKnowIt Sat 21-Sep-13 09:02:47

no but bump

ArtisanLentilWeaver Sat 21-Sep-13 09:10:25

The house we were staying in was hit last year - metal chimney. The lightning hit the wood burning stove and made a click sound. Simultaneously, it was like someone had taken a very bright flash picture and there was a strong smell reminiscent of fireworks in the air.

The family had been sitting around the stove (which was unlit) and the whole thing happened very quickly. Just a split second.

digerd Sat 21-Sep-13 17:14:18

No idea what had been struck. The house is detached and the phone was in the hall of a the double fronted house.

Perhaps a phone cable outside digerd.

Anya - thank you smile

Artisan - blimey! What was everybodies reaction? The click sound you describe; how loud was it? Was there any damage?

bump smile

Was just perusing the weather forum when I noticed the thread linking to this. Someone I used to know was struck by lightning while walking in the Lake District several years ago and was nearly killed. I'm not in touch with him any more but I might be able to get contact details via a mutual friend if you like? This is him

ermmm, I dont suppose you are still around Gerund are you? I had completely missed your reply! oops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now