This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

No added sugar chocolate bars and spreads

(6 Posts)
roryk Thu 19-Sep-13 02:59:06

Hi Everyone!

I'd love to know what peoples thoughts are on natural no added sugar/sugar free chocolate. Some feedback would be lovely

For the last three years I have been searching for a way to enjoy chocolate and not harm my health conscious ideals and more importantly not hand my children over to the addictive sugar monster. The frustration of not being able to easily obtain a sugar free version of something as simple as a chocolate bar or a delicious chocolate spread, encouraged me to start making no added sugar natural chocolate at home.

This frustration coupled with the reality of being an active and healthy father, compounded the quest to ensure all children including my own should be given the option of a healthy alternative.

My children are the driving force behind this and the catalyst that has placed me on the path to bringing that alternative healthy option to fruition. I have started a brand of confectionary doing just that and I have a Kickstarter promoting it at the moment.

It would be wonderful if you lovely people could take a look and let me know your thoughts. Now I'm not asking for pledges (although that would be nice) I am asking if, as parents, you would choose this over the main brands in supermarkets today.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/runawayuk/runaway-no-sugar-naughtiness-chocolate-spread

Thanks for reading smile

Rory

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 19-Sep-13 13:56:42

There are some good stevia chocolate bars out there already. Expensive though. Will yours be more affordable?

PinkyCheesy Thu 19-Sep-13 14:38:37

Great looking product, and well done for getting up and doing something about your ideals rather than complaining about stuff and doing nothing smile

Personally, I prefer to eat chocolate. With sugar in it. I don't care much for milk choc and love the 70/80% dark chocs. I try to buy Fair Trade or TraidCraft products, I won't touch Nestle and try to avoid Kraft/Cadbury. I eat small amounts of chocolate.

My children love chocolate. But they also understand about eating small amounts of sugary food, because I have explained about sugar and its effects on your body. Sugar is not evil. We just shouldn't eat a lot of it. They probably eat 1-2 small choc bars and eat Nutella on toast 2-3 times a week. I refuse to ban any food as I do think it will make it more desirable (I have always struggled with weight and have worked hard to conquer food issues).

We do not have 'no added sugar' products in the house because I hate the taste of sweeteners and am sceptical about their long term safety. I basically am trying to educate my sons to eat real food in moderation, rather than have think that certain foods are 'sin-free' and so you can eat loads. That is not a healthy approach to food. I accept that Stevia is a natural product but I still think its giving the wrong message and encouraging over-consumption of foods which ought to be eaten in moderation. The diet food+drinks industry is booming but obesity continues to rise alarmingly despite us all eating 'low-fat' and 'no added sugar' products.

Sorry to rant but I do feel fairly strongly about this grin
Good luck with your product, I shall certainly try one if you expand into small choc bars and manage to get them into supermarkets.

sashh Thu 19-Sep-13 15:17:31

I think I'd be worried about the high level of fat, but then I don't buy/use chocolate spread.

Actually this is a fairly useless post. If I see any in the shop I will give it a try - well an 18 year old I know with a chocolate spread addiction will.

Is there a nutritional breakdown?

roryk Sat 21-Sep-13 01:52:37

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.

Regarding price point, the aim for Runaway is to be as affordable as premium chocolate bars and spreads you can buy in the supermarket as opposed to 'whole food' or 'raw' products which tend to be very expensive.

PinkyCheesy, many thanks for you comments, all taken on board. I commend you for encouraging your children to have a healthy relationship with food and agree with you on that wholeheartedly.

However, food for thought, in regards to sugar (refined sugar) i'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I also feel very strongly about this, so please indulge me. There is a plethora of information available on the dangers of sugar and I won't go into it here, what I will say is that refined sugar even in small doses is technically defined as a poison (1957, Dr. William Coda Martin) "What is left consists of pure, refined carbohydrates. The body cannot utilize this refined starch and carbohydrate unless the depleted proteins, vitamins and minerals are present." Nutella contains over 50% sugar per jar, thats a lot of sugar by any standards. Refined sugar is no more a real food than aspartame is, as they are both heavily processed, there is nothing natural at the end result.

The reason I started Runaway was to try and change the old ways of confectionery manufacturing and consumption, sugar does not need to be present to make a food taste good. I didn't set out to create a health food, rather remove sugar from the ingredients list.

There are many sweeteners on the market today, some nice, some not so nice. But hopefully I can shed some light on sweeteners and safety concerns.

All Runaway products are 100% natural. The Runways spreads, bars and drinks use stevia, which is a natural plant extract that has been used for at least the last 100 years in various different cultures in many different ways. However, as with any food like nuts or fruit, some people can have a minor allergic reaction, this is due to an allergic reaction to the stevia, like someone with an allergy to pollen can become ill after ingesting Ragweed. After 3 years of personal research and the last year of professional R&D, stevia, was the sweetener we kept coming back to.

Personally, I would have rather used aspartame, unfortunately it has had a bad reputation over the last couple of years due to a lot of myths and misinformation being spread about it. Aspartame has no side effects to the normal non allergic person, which is approx. 99% of the population. However, there are people who are allergic to it. But its actually the amino acids: phenylalanine and aspartic acid that certain people can be allergic to and not the sweetener itself. it is a rare genetic disorder that affects less than 1% of the population. They can be found in anything from beef, nuts, tofu and of course artificial sweeteners. Being allergic to aspartame is akin to someone with a peanut allergy.

Aspartame has been tested more than any food ingredient in over 40 countries across the last 30 years. Technically its the safest food ingredient know in existence as its been tested more than any other and its certainly safer than refined sugar.

I hope that makes sense and answers at least some of your concerns, forgive me for getting on my 'orange box' about refined sugar. I'll leave the discussion about fat for another time smile

SavoyCabbage Sat 21-Sep-13 01:57:42

When I see products that say "no added sugar" I automatically avoid them as I assume they are crammed with sweetners.

I'd rather my children had sugar, as I know what sugar is, than something I didn't know anything about.

If it said that it was sweetened with XYZ which is a natural product that has been used for 100 years, then I would have to research that and see what is was. But in reality, I would probably just buy something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now