This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Homeopathy - please share your opinion and experience

(148 Posts)
Anap2807 Fri 13-Sep-13 10:47:41

Hi mums,

please share your views and experiences re. Homeopathy/Homeopathic practitioners in the UK. Is it something which is popular or most of the people don't know about? I am thinking of taking a training course but not sure whether I will be able to apply it later. I come from a country where people would normally go to a homeopath with many of their health issues and would take their children as well. I know that in the UK about 400 GPs would use homeopathy and about a quarter of GPs would refer to a homeopath.
Please help me get a real picture. All opinions greatly appreciated!

I am not a journalist, I am a private person who was allowed to post here as a one off, for my personal interest

So a normal poster then? Welcome to Mumsnet smile Stick around, it's a great place whatever your interests.

Homeopathy is an officially recognised medical science in many countries.

Could you point me at the science please?

curlew Fri 13-Sep-13 18:48:36

Arnica might work be quad if has drive ingredients. Teething powders work because they are mostly sugar. Nothing like a sugar lump for taking a baby's mind off a bit of pain!

PinkFairyArmadillo Fri 13-Sep-13 18:56:49

OP, you might find this site useful;

www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Sep-13 19:01:33

"Homeopathy is an officially recognised medical science in many countries"

No it's not. For something to be a science, there needs to be a plausible mechanism of action and proven effect.

"in Australia a family clinic would often have a homeopath on-site"

So what? If there is demand, they will of course provide the service. If people wanted to pay for massages at family clinics, they would probably also have a masseuse on-site.

Meanwhile, Australian Medicare doesn't cover homeopathic consultations or "remedies", and these homeopathic "remedies" are usually not even registered with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) which regulates all real medicines. Why do you think that is?

"A placebo effect would not work for someone who is five"

WRONG! Where on earth do you get your information from? hmm

Experiments featuring children like this one are placebo-controlled because placebo effect does work. Not only does it work for children, but there is evidence that placebo effect works at a significantly higher level for children than for adults.

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Sep-13 19:04:05

I was also going to answer your other question ("Do you think you guys don't know about homeopathy in the UK"?) but that post is gone. Probably because you have reached the end of MNHQ's magnanimity.

I do think the NHS should stop funding homeopathy, though the talking effect/ being listened to aspect can certainly have a benefit for some people. I think the funding should go into counseling though, and other evidence based treatments.
As to the OP - I wouldn't train in it, no. But I'd love to do more counseling training if I have the opportunity.

Homeopathy is woo bollocks wherever it's administered.

Has anyone posted this link yet?

Anap2807 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:12:08

Dear mums, I won't argue about statistics and science as all the evidence is contradictory, depending on which establishment finances any particular research. The one thing I can be totally sure about is myself and others I personally know who benefited from Homeopathy. So, as a 5yo patient I absolutely hated this little white pills they made me count 3 times a day and then keep under tongue without swallowing. I even was not told what the pills are for! What placebo effect are you talking about?? Placebo effect could only take place if I realised and admitted that I am trying to make myself feel better. Nothing like that happened in my case. By your theory, the treatment should have made me feel worse as anti-placebo of sorts. What it did was completely heal my chronic throat infections, after traditional medicine could offer only surgery and ineffective antibiotics.

So you don't actually want our opinions?

Anap2807 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:23:54

<I was also going to answer your other question ("Do you think you guys don't know about homeopathy in the UK"?) but that post is gone. Probably because you have reached the end of MNHQ's magnanimity.> >>>I did not post that one

Anap2807 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:27:09

On the contrary, I really appreciate all the opinions. Indeed, I asked for Opinions and your personal Experience, but not for various different links to various internet sites with evidence...

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Sep-13 20:36:57

"all the evidence is contradictory"

No. There is no proof that homeopathy works better than placebo AND there is no plausible mechanism of action through which it can possibly work.

"myself and others I personally know who benefited from Homeopathy"

That is called anecdote. Worthless, in other words. I prayed five consecutive nights and my cough cleared. So prayer works and there is a God hmm

"I even was not told what the pills are for! What placebo effect are you talking about?? Placebo effect could only take place if I realised and admitted that I am trying to make myself feel better."

Children don't have to be told what pills are for. They see mum giving them something and SHE she believes it is a good thing.

Placebos work for children. This is so well documented that claiming the reverse makes you look ignorant and a bit foolish. Even a kiss from mummy works ffs.

Your throat infection eventually cleared, like they always do. It is not a miracle, and it certainly doesn't mean that those sugar pills "cured" anything.

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Sep-13 20:38:13

What do you have against evidence?

sleepyhead Fri 13-Sep-13 20:43:34

Dh has had a horrible chronic sore on his calf for the last year. He's had it swabbed, biopsied, tried antibiotics, steroids, ultraviolet light treatment etc etc etc.

Last month he realised it was looking better and now it's almost disappeared.

If he'd tried homeopathy last month, as a last ditch attempt after so many conventional treatments, then I think he'd share your belief.

But he didn't. It went away by itself. As chronic conditions sometimes do.

Humans are hard wired for patterns. We like cause/effect and that "I did this so that happened."

Ds's eczema, my dad.'s bad back, if we were a family who routinely used homeopathy then we may have attributed both of these spontaneously getting better to sugar pills.

As I said before please feel free to prescribe me something to help my airways and breathing. I would happily stop all my meds as I hate steroid stuff.

Just a warning though...if it doesn't work I will likely end up in resus so perhaps give me a double dose?!

PeppiNephrine Fri 13-Sep-13 20:56:05

We're not all mums either, its a bit patronising to me addressed as such.

My advice: get a real job, don't prey on the gullible to make money.

exexpat Fri 13-Sep-13 20:58:08

Anap - it sounds like yours was a case of the other thing homeopathy uses as 'proof' of efficacy: the main one is placebo effect, the other is taking credit for things that would have got better anyway.

Did you know that most children grow out of chronic tonsillitis? Which is why doctors no longer whip children's tonsils out quite as freely as they did a few decades ago.

My older sister and I both suffered from frequent bouts of tonsillitis as small children. She had her tonsils taken out when she was about six, but by the time I was that age, doctors had looked at the evidence and realised that it was not necessary to carry out so many operations, as children's immune systems improve and they become less prone to tonsillitis - which was indeed the case with me, and by the sound of it, with you. The little white sugar pills had nothing to do with it.

Panzee Fri 13-Sep-13 21:08:16

giraffescantdanceallnight,you need half a dose, remember. It gets stronger the more it's diluted. grin

HorsePetal Fri 13-Sep-13 21:13:16

If water has a 'memory' as claimed then we are all in deep shit given the amount of pollutants we pump into our seas and rivers.

My family are believers in homeopathy and take every opportunity to dose me up when I visit. Lots of knowing smiles all round but it really is the biggest piece of nonsense I have ever heard.

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Sep-13 21:15:28

A unanimous thread. So rare on MN! Isn't OP lucky grin

Anap2807 Fri 13-Sep-13 21:23:30

As I mentioned before, I opened this thread to try and collect personal experiences and opinions based on personal experiences, for those who wanted to share. Trying to persuade me that homeopathy is a bad thing is missing the point as my opinion is already formed. I won't waste time and effort on fruitless arguments. For each of your arguments I will have my argument and so on so it is a waste of time. The one thing I would say, judging by the rudeness of some comments and the fact that all the positive comments go into my private messages and only negatives go on the forum - there is a bias and some bullying is going on, which is rather confusing.

PeppiNephrine Fri 13-Sep-13 21:25:24

Um no, you don't have any arguments. Apart from "my magic woo-water works so there", which isn't really convincing.

Perhaps the PMs are from people who are embarrassed. I would be.

Panzee Fri 13-Sep-13 21:27:40

So when you say "all opinions greatly appreciated" that's not true.

exexpat Fri 13-Sep-13 21:40:07

I'm a bit puzzled about why you started this thread, then. You aren't interested in even considering the idea that homeopathy is not worthwhile, and you seem offended by the fact that the majority opinion on MN is that it is nonsense.

What were you hoping for? Lots of people saying yes, homeopathy is wonderful, we need more homeopaths, go for it? I can't see how that would be terribly helpful either if your mind is already made up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now