This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Homeopathy - please share your opinion and experience

(148 Posts)
Anap2807 Fri 13-Sep-13 10:47:41

Hi mums,

please share your views and experiences re. Homeopathy/Homeopathic practitioners in the UK. Is it something which is popular or most of the people don't know about? I am thinking of taking a training course but not sure whether I will be able to apply it later. I come from a country where people would normally go to a homeopath with many of their health issues and would take their children as well. I know that in the UK about 400 GPs would use homeopathy and about a quarter of GPs would refer to a homeopath.
Please help me get a real picture. All opinions greatly appreciated!

nicelyneurotic Fri 13-Sep-13 11:31:38

My mother sees her homeopath very regularly so there is a market.

It costs her a fortune though, in London, so won't be a option for many people.

I think it kind of works. Arnica works. Teething powder works. But I've tried other remedies with no success, and the one time I saw a professional homeopath it didn't work for me.

Where did you hear that a quarter of GPs would refer to a homeopath? This seems unlikely to me but I'm not in the medical profession.

My opinion is that it's a load of rubbish. All the scientific evidence shows that it works no better than placebo (which, in itself, is not to be sniffed at). The theory behind it makes no sense at all.

I'm sure you'll do very well as there are a lot of gullible people around but really, why not train in something evidence based instead?

AnneUulmelmahay Fri 13-Sep-13 11:40:45

Is homeopathy all that woo about amber fucking teething necklaces and water has a memory crap
?

Panzee Fri 13-Sep-13 11:41:03

This video will explain how it works.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

TheContrastofWhiteonWhite Fri 13-Sep-13 11:42:06

Where did you get those stats? The 25% one seems iffy.

Homeopathy 'works' because people get a nice long chat with someone who listens and a placebo.

There is no actual effective medicine to it. It's sugar pills.

HavantGuard Fri 13-Sep-13 11:42:26
noblegiraffe Fri 13-Sep-13 11:42:42

Could you ethically prescribe something to people knowing that it is actually just nonsense and you are relying on the placebo effect, regression to the mean etc to actually provide the improvement?

I couldn't convincingly lie like that.

moondog Fri 13-Sep-13 11:43:19

No Anne.
That's a whole other category of utter tripe. grin
There is so much to choose rom.

TheFallenNinja Fri 13-Sep-13 11:44:24

I think it's all guff, I'll stick with science.

ClayDavis Fri 13-Sep-13 11:45:05

Herbal arnica or homeopathic arnica, nicelyneurotic? The two are very different and one is a complete con.

Anne homeopathy is the woo about 1 part ingredient that brings on the symptoms and 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 parts water, then beating it with a piece of leather.

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Sep-13 11:45:08

Homeopathic "remedies" are placebos - sugar pills with maybe a single molecule of active ingredient (if you're lucky). They don't work and they cannot work. There is a $ 1 million reward for whoever proves scientifically that homeopathy works and this reward is still unclaimed.

Arnica creams work because they actually have arnica in them.

GPs might refer people to homeopaths if they feel the patient has nothing wrong with her and might benefit from a bit of woo placebo. I would personally lose all respect for a real doctor who sends a patient with a broken arm or a real illness to a homeopath rather than prescribing her the proper medication.

I don't know what kind of training you do to become a homeopath. Do you have to unlearn all the biology and chemistry you learned in school, in order to believe its claims?

Anyway, I guess it all depends on if you feel you can tell people this nonsense with a straight face and then take their money in exchange for some sugar pills.

moondog Fri 13-Sep-13 11:49:22

Ooh.
The leather part is new on me.

Can you cure my chronic lung disease?

Crowler Fri 13-Sep-13 11:51:08

Rubbish. Sorry.

softlysoftly Fri 13-Sep-13 11:51:19

Hi Journalists,

I do hope you aren't counting this as quotable research mumsnet charges for that.

And "mums" is as patronising as fuck btw.

plummyjam Fri 13-Sep-13 11:53:26

It's quackery.

There is always competition for respiratory beds at my local hospital. Yet there is a huge NHS building just for homeopathy, it looks like a hotel inside!

moondog Fri 13-Sep-13 11:55:41

I missed the 'mums' bit.
V funny

MousyMouse Fri 13-Sep-13 11:55:55

load of rubbish.
my asthma was 'treated' with homeopathetic sugar pills as a child.
result: permanent lung damage.
my mother still swears by it but I just smile and nod.

ClayDavis Fri 13-Sep-13 12:02:51

moondog it came from something I read ages ago - on a homeopathic site not a skeptic one. The only thing I can find now refers to 'vigorous shaking with impact'. Presumably that sounds more scientific. It's some sort of leather paddle from what I can remember.

I've just found an article referring to 'nanopharamacology' in my google search. confused

Although to be fair I wouldn't be surprised if people went for it after reading the cosmic ordering thread...!

PeppiNephrine Fri 13-Sep-13 12:12:47

Homeopathy goes against all known laws of physics.
Logically, its more likely that I can fly than homeopathy can have any effect on a human body.

Do you think I can fly?

HavantGuard Fri 13-Sep-13 12:13:47

Cosmic ordering? I could murder a cheeseburger.

<listens intently for doorbell>

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 13-Sep-13 12:18:53

Homeopathy is a load of woo bollocks.

And I know a lot of GPs, and somewhere in the region of 0% of them would refer to a homeopath so god knows where you got that figure from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now